Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia, AMD accused of conspiracy to keep graphics pricing high

Xtreme Addict

Nvidia, AMD accused of conspiracy to keep graphics pricing high

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36258
    I'm not liking this one bit, as suing the pants off ati/nvidia will not bring any positive changes that werent already happening. intel is getting back in the stand alone game, so the monopoly will surely take a hit, and although im sure they do try to keep the prices high, i dont see ati or nvidia making extraordinary profits on their products. if this crap goes through, i dont think the r&d budget will remain too high... instead of stiffling development on the gpu front, why dont the doj pursue exxon? oh right, i forgot, the government is in bed with them.
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

Xtreme Addict
    haha, i like this theory. but to be honest, it's just ludicrous that high -end graphics now retails at $499-$599. only reason why i'm still using my trusty old video card setup now. I won't pay more than $399 for one high-end card anymore.
    --===== proud owner of new razor tarantula gaming keyboard =====--

Xtreme Addict
    some people do though, and its because of them that the prices are high, if there are people willing to pay, they will sell them at that price. its not like if this lawsuit goes through that we're gonna start seeing jumps like from the 7900gtx to the 8800gtx for only 399 for the highest performing card. if theyre gonna charge us less, theyre gonna do less... so id rather see them battle it out at the top, and have the mid range cards recieve the trickle down effect. this is just a money-grabbing scheme that will hurt us more than ati/nvidia in the long run.
    Last edited by cky2k6; 12-08-2006 at 04:23 PM.
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

Xtreme Addict
    welcome to a free market, if they will pay, they will charge

don't wanna pay? don't
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Banned
    it is from the_INQ...

Xtreme Addict
    ati and nvidia did get subpoenas, thats not just inquirer rumor, and this makes sense. why else would they get subpoenad? theres also the chance that its related to the memory makers, as ati and nvidia do have close relations with samsung/infeneon, but i suspect that this is probably the reason for the subpoenas. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...114493,00.html http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_37789.html

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanavit
    haha, i like this theory. but to be honest, it's just ludicrous that high -end graphics now retails at $499-$599. only reason why i'm still using my trusty old video card setup now. I won't pay more than $399 for one high-end card anymore.
    Contrast this with a 1000$ processor, which is about 10x more ludicrous given they can generally sell the same thing at 100$ and still make a good profit.

With a video card at least your price is somewhat approaching your BOM considering you are paying for a pcb, large amounts of memory, a die thats larger than those $1000 processors, voltage regulators, etc. You also see much more drastic performance improvements with high end video cards compared to low end video cards than you do for high/low processors.

Realistically we'd all like to pay less, but the price of processors is much more ludicrous IMO.

Aussie God
    I belive its true..

It seems quite obvious that if not caught Nvidia & ATI would make a cartel, eventhough they are competetors.. - The marketform is a duopol, or nearly, its a differentiated oligopol, with ATI & NVIDIA as only firms that makes graphic cards for gaming usage..
    So yeah, ofcause it can be true..

And those GFX prices, man, they're FAR FETCH!!
    - one cant purchase a high-end gfx product at sub-750$ in Denmark!!

- Back in the GF4, and 9700/9800pro days, they were actually buyable..
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There is a pretty legit PDF link attached..

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by kemist
    Contrast this with a 1000$ processor, which is about 10x more ludicrous given they can generally sell the same thing at 100$ and still make a good profit.
    You have no clue about business or the stock market...
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Xtreme Mentor
    High development costs are self imposed by GPU makers. No one said you have to refresh your gpu every six months. Nothing wrong with releasing a gpu that's two to three times faster than the curent generation AFTER a year and half and sell it for $350 or so.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Addict
    Originally Posted by kemist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt
    You have no clue about business or the stock market...
    You beat me to it.

With this same logic, Microsoft could sell their latest OS for $2 and still make tons of money. After all, it only cost them about $1 for the disk, processing, and packaging costs, and they still would be making a 100% profit.

I shouldn't laugh. I've seen too many people make this kind of argument. It's sad really.

c[_]
    considering a CPU takes about $22/die on a wafer to make....

Well, thats actually old numbers from the P4/XP days, but if its gone up substantially the market would be hurting. It isnt, so probably hasnt changed a lot.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xenolith
    You beat me to it.

With this same logic, Microsoft could sell their latest OS for $2 and still make tons of money. After all, it only cost them about $1 for the disk, processing, and packaging costs, and they still would be making a 100% profit.

I shouldn't laugh. I've seen too many people make this kind of argument. It's sad really.
    Yup you guys are geniuses Nvidia/DAMMIT both have packaging, marketing, R&D, indirectly fund TSMC's Fab upgrades, have much shorter design cycles, etc. Yet right now you can get a 7950gx2 for $425, that includes 1gb of fast GDDR2, 2 dice, 2 large pcbs, voltage regulation,heatsinks etc.

in contrast intel is selling conroe cores with same die size and packaging as their recent flagship X6800 as E6300's for $180 retail. Wonder what their good buddies the Tier 1 distributors get them for? But they arent making any profit are they? None at all right? Oh wait the majority of Intel's profit comes from the volume of the low end and they sell very small amounts of X6800? Oh and on top of that their design cycles are much longer than graphics companies. But the X6800 at $1000 isnt ludicrous even though the performance increase compared to the low end is very small and the production costs are the same. Really it isnt. Right.

Look at intel's revenues then look at what percentage of that the x6800 makes up. Like i said high end processor prices are ludicrous compared to high end video cards.

P.S. none of my comments have to do with how intel runs their business, or how they deal with the stock market, obviously they want to price at what the market will bear. i'm talking from an enthusiasts point of view on price/performance and costs of materials for each product.
    Last edited by kemist; 12-08-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xenolith
    You beat me to it.

I didn't see that he missed anything.... he was pointing out that the corporate mandate to be only accountable to shareholders profit at any cost is what causes these pricing attrocities... much like most of the worlds problems.
    "that which is bright, rises twice"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gn0s1s
    I didn't see that he missed anything.... he was pointing out that the corporate mandate to be only accountable to shareholders profit at any cost is what causes these pricing attrocities... much like most of the worlds problems.
    Oh, then thank you for the education. So we're all victims to big silicon, like Nvidia, ATI/AMD, Intel... like all corporations in general which are solely accountable only to shareholders ... which are the cause of most of the world's problems... like global warming and wars... I see...

Quote Originally Posted by cky2k6
    instead of stiffling development on the gpu front, why dont the doj pursue exxon? oh right, i forgot, the government is in bed with them.
    contrary to popular belief, big oil companies usually only hang around 10% profit margins.. as opposed to google, with 30%...

edit: and stifling the "gpu front" has much less impact on, say, the economy of the country as a whole than trying to punish gigantor operators it still maintains the image of the govt cracking down on unfair trade practices. except its own of course

Quote Originally Posted by gn0s1s
    profit is what drives progress. if i produce soemthing and am forced to sell it at cost or just above cost, i make no money and can't go on to make anything else. yes, they are greedy, but so are you. when you sell an old piece of hardware, you don't sell it just above shipping cost, you try to sell it as close to what you paid for it as possible. intel had to pay for r&d to get a dependable and efficient process for producing 65nm features. they pass that cost on to the consumer. don't like it? don't consume.
    Last edited by blink hi; 12-09-2006 at 12:43 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    The lawsuit seems stupid - both ati and nvidia offer gpus at every conceivable pricepoint, so the argument that prices are artificially high would be ludicrous. The highest end graphics are being priced higher because people are willing to pay more - and in return the extra profit goes into r+d and allows product refreshes every six months or so. All that extra r+d benefits everyone from the high end down to entry level.

Personally i wouldn't pay more than £200 for a graphics card, because I'd rather be a year behind the absolute leader in peformance (sometimes the difference isn't even that great), and pay half as much for the card, sell that card when I upgrade down the line to another mid range card more powerful than the highest end was at the time of the original purchase happy in the knowledge that I have a faster gpu that cost me less than the depreciation on the highest end models.

Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel
    The lawsuit seems stupid - both ati and nvidia offer gpus at every conceivable pricepoint, so the argument that prices are artificially high would be ludicrous. The highest end graphics are being priced higher because people are willing to pay more - and in return the extra profit goes into r+d and allows product refreshes every six months or so. All that extra r+d benefits everyone from the high end down to entry level.

The bolded statement is exactly why this lawsuit is for real...

Pricing higher merely because people are willing to pay more is a form of price fixing, and is against the law. This isn't a supply and demand issue, as there's plenty of high end cards as of late.

I think the real one that caught the DOJ's attention was NVidia releasing the 7900GTX, which was noted to be much cheaper to produce than the x1900xtx, but at the same time they charged the same amount or more for the GTX. If they were trying to really compete on price NVidia could've drastically undercut ATi with the GTX, we all know it, but instead they charged the same as ATi.

Now mind you, I did buy a 8800GTX, but I see what their case is, and it is legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Well lets all file suits against Ferrari because their cars are too expensive. I mean they are priced high because people are willing to pay that

If you want the best, you pay for it, or.....use American culture and sue for it.
    ASROCK Dual 775-VSTA
    E6400 @ 2.4ghz
    1.5gig ram
    some other stuff...

Aussie God
    Cartel is illigal in most contries in the world, and thats what they're being accused of.. Right?
    Competition ranking;
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;

Quote Originally Posted by djgandy
    Well lets all file suits against Ferrari because their cars are too expensive. I mean they are priced high because people are willing to pay that

If you want the best, you pay for it, or.....use American culture and sue for it.
    Ferrari's are also hand built, each and every one of them. Human labor costs a LOT more than a factory line. Besides, you don't see other car companies also matching up to their high-prices, do you?

This is nothing like that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What? How is this NEWS?!

We all knew what we were getting ourselves into when we started
    to spend over $400 on graphic cards :P
    We all knew it was scams!

jks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cky2k6
    instead of stiffling development on the gpu front, why dont the doj pursue exxon? oh right, i forgot, the government is in bed with them.
    OT:
    LOL....... Soooo true.Seriously why the hell are we still using gas power vehicles.

I think some people are just willing to pay high prices. Maybe for the same reason, I bought 3 PS3's and sold each one of them for about 3500 a pop. People are stupid i guess.

~Mike
    Main Rig: Intel Core i7 7700k @ 4.2GHz, 64GB of memory, 512GB m.2 SSD, nVidia GTX1080Ti
    NAS: QNAP TVS-1282, 8 x 4TB WD Golds(Main Storage Pool), 4 x 960GB M4 Crucial (VM Storage) , 2 x 512GB M.2 Caching
    Private Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon 5645, 48GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 960GB SSD/Each)
    Distributed Encoding Cloud: 4 Nodes (2 x Xeon x5690, 24GB DDR3 ECC/REG, 1 x 128GB SSD/Each)
    Feedback
    EBAY:HEAT

Aussie God
    exxon?
    Now what is that?

Btw, if its OPEC and the olie market, keep in mind that those contries dont have any laws against cartel, USA + all European contries does, and I think australia + asia is about the same..
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast