Thread: It vdroop / vdrop mod for Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L ?

Xtreme Member

It vdroop / vdrop mod for Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L ?

It vdroop / vdrop mod for Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L ?

pencilmod of preference.

which must take place photo?

thanks
    Sorry my bad English Language Tools
    http://www.google.com.br/language_tools?hl=pt-BR
    Q9550 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.1) | 4x1GB | SLI 98GTX | LC8850 750w
    4685.99 Mhz (H20) - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=689328
    WC - CPU Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Enzotech SNBW | VGA Koolance VID-398 | Rad MagiCool 360ST | Pump DP-1200 | MCRES-Micro Rev2.

Xtreme Member
    Take picture of this chip:

Q6600@3.6 GHz / GA-X48-DQ6
    2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2-800
    Asus HD 5870
    Corsair TX-850
    WD Velociraptor 150GB / WD Green power 500GB
    Water Cooling: EK res 250 > Swiftec MCP655 > Swiftec MCR320 > EK-FC5870 > HeatKiller 3.0 LT

Last edited by Larvitar; 11-09-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    What camera did you use? nice pics!

It's a Kodak Z650 10x Optic Zoom

Some information about the vdroop mod or a vMCH mod?

Xtreme Member
    Would like to know this as well, thanks.

IT Engineer in the making
    For VCore measure resistance between pin#14 (FB) and GND.
    For Vdroop, measure between pin#14 (FB) and pin#16 (VDIFF).

The following picture shows part of your photo with pin#14 marked in yellow and pin#16 marked in red. I also marked possible trace routes and the corresponding solder pads. Recheck that with a multimeter and either resistance measurement (resistance < 1 Ohm), or the continuity test mode.

All measurements of course with NO power to the board, unless you want to kill it.

Here's the pic:
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Does anybody know how to do vdroop mod on this board? My friend is looking for this mod. Please can somebody help?

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasrg View Post
    Does anybody know how to do vdroop mod on this board? My friend is looking for this mod. Please can somebody help?
    What do you think poeple were posting about in this topic?

If your friend has the board, do the measurements I talked about and I'll tell you what to do.
    I don't own the board, so I can't take any measurements. All I can do is offer my help. If you think you won't have to do anything, then I'm afraid, there will be no mod. It's as simple as that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    celemine1Gig,

Btw, I even suggest to disconnect all power cables and even CPU to measure def resistances (FB->GND; FB->VDIFF etc)
    Vmods - what can possibly go wrong? ©

Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig View Post
    What do you think poeple were posting about in this topic?

If your friend has the board, do the measurements I talked about and I'll tell you what to do.
    I don't own the board, so I can't take any measurements. All I can do is offer my help. If you think you won't have to do anything, then I'm afraid, there will be no mod. It's as simple as that.
    Ok, I'll tell my friend to do the measurements.

But... let me ask: what are you gonna do with that? can you tell me the right resistor by knowing the measurements?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 G0 @ 3600MHz @ Cooled by Hyper TX2 | Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev3.3 | GeForce XFX 8800 GTS 320MB @ Fatal1ty | 4x 1GB G.Skill DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12

Samsung HD502IJ | Samsung SH-S203B | Corsair HX520W | Logitech G7 | Plantronics Gamecom1 Black | Chieftec BX-01 | Samsung 2232BW

Ok, I'll tell my friend to do the measurements.

But... let me ask: what are you gonna do with that? can you tell me the right resistor by knowing the measurements?

Exatcly.
    And as I said you should measure to find directly connected solder pads as alternate solder points for the mods. You wouldn't want to solder to the pins of the voltage controller itself. Far too small to somfortably solder there by hand.

@ceemic:
    Thx.Good point. I thought I had that covered when saying "no power", but you are right that most people won't realize that just hitting the power button isn't enough.
    Last edited by celemine1Gig; 01-04-2009 at 04:38 AM.

My friend did the vdroop measurement. 47 Ohms, is that right?

He couldn't find the GND to do the other measurement. Can you tell me where's the GND pin?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 G0 @ 3600MHz @ Cooled by Hyper TX2 | Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev3.3 | GeForce XFX 8800 GTS 320MB @ Fatal1ty | 4x 1GB G.Skill DDR2 800MHz 4-4-4-12

Samsung HD502IJ | Samsung SH-S203B | Corsair HX520W | Logitech G7 | Plantronics Gamecom1 Black | Chieftec BX-01 | Samsung 2232BW

My friend did the vdroop measurement. 47 Ohms, is that right?

He couldn't find the GND to do the other measurement. Can you tell me where's the GND pin?
    Well, I can't tell you if the value of 47 Ohms is correct. The whole point was that you take the measurements because nobody else would.

GND:
    Ever wondered what voltage the black leads from your PSU carry?
    Try to measure resistance from your motherboard tray to the PSU chassis and so on.
    You can easily find many GND-points when you follow (multimeter set to continuity test) the black wires coming out of your PSU. I assume that you still have a PSU which has color coded cables. If it's one of the modular ones with black cables only, it's not much more complicated, but judging your basic electronics knowledge by your postings so far, it could get tricky.

I'm sorry to say, but I'd rather have someone else take additional measurements before giving any advice that could lead to some fried boards. Hope you understand.

Well, I can't tell you if the value of 47 Ohms is correct. The whole point was that you take the measurements because nobody else would.

GND:
    Ever wondered what voltage the black leads from your PSU carry?
    Try to measure resistance from your motherboard tray to the PSU chassis and so on.
    You can easily find many GND-points when you follow (multimeter set to continuity test) the black wires coming out of your PSU. I assume that you still have a PSU which has color coded cables. If it's one of the modular ones with black cables only, it's not much more complicated, but judging your basic electronics knowledge by your postings so far, it could get tricky.

I'm sorry to say, but I'd rather have someone else take additional measurements before giving any advice that could lead to some fried boards. Hope you understand.

I asked if it's right cause i thought it was a bit high.

So if i give the vcore resistence you can find the right resistor?

Not only me, but yes, I could.
    But as I said, you have to be absolutely sure that the values are correct.
    If you give me the wrong values, then you could very easily damage your board when performing the mod later on.

dudes, i flashed a bad spd in a xms2 stick, and now i can't make it boot on this giga board. even using a working fine stick in slot 1 and the corrupted stick in slot2. t only bbot with the lone good stick. can anyone help pls.
    thx mates.
    Inspiron6000 @ 2.4Ghz

First of all why do you post this in this thread? Besides the fact that this is a general probelm and has nothing to do with the board itself, there is a simple solution.

Have a look at this pic:

http://www.shag101.de/speicher/DDR2-pin-kleb.jpg

The pins marked in red need to be isolated, while these that are marked in green need to stay untouched, i.e. they need to make contact to the slot contacts, as always. For me sticky tape (made by Tesa) worked well for isolation. Any other brand should be fine too.

I have this board and also would like to have a volt mod for it, I have a cheapo mutimeter at work ill bring home and see if I can get the measurements. Havent really used a multimeter but I am pretty good at following directions, I have modded a few xbox's and built a simple xbox eeprom reader from instructions etc..

I tried to get some readings but that cheap multimeter im afraid is a bit too cheap I recall getting a quick display in the 40ish range for vdroop so the 47ohm stated previously might be correct but im sure we want what IS, not Might be. On top of that I didnt quite realize how small the pins and measuring points are
    Last edited by dedwards77; 02-17-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Red face

First of all why do you post this in this thread? Besides the fact that this is a general probelm and has nothing to do with the board itself, there is a simple solution.
    Have a look at this pic:
    http://www.shag101.de/speicher/DDR2-pin-kleb.jpg
    The pins marked in red need to be isolated, while these that are marked in green need to stay untouched, i.e. they need to make contact to the slot contacts, as always. For me sticky tape (made by Tesa) worked well for isolation. Any other brand should be fine too.
    sorry posting in wrong place, but that time i only got this board to solve this issue ...
    well, did the hot swap in giga, flashed the original dumped spd with spdtool. run cpu-z, ok. everythink seems ok, so? go to boot ... result? problem. by beeps identify dram problem.
    p5b dlx wifi ap asus board arrived, no boot with xms2, will try hot swap again.
    well, these aren't a like "can't afford to miss" rams, but they got 980 with stock voltage ...
    well, sorry about my bad english guys, will engage in classes this year again, and in deutch too! lol.
    just arrived from a beer fest, could be some issue also ... lol
    my best for all you guys!
    cheers!
    Inspiron6000 @ 2.4Ghz

Can someone help me to do pencil mode on g31m s2l?