Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sanded down the IHS of a Q6600 to the silicone.

Xtreme Mentor
    Nice work, haven't seen that done before. There is a large improvement in temps, the IHS must have been making poor contact or intel's TIM must have pretty poor heat transfer. Glad it still works.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

I like that! It's almost safe to remove the IHS that way, plus you get a free shim that fits perfectly.

I'm wondering if there will be problems with direct touch heatpipe coolers. It's likely that a part of the core/cores will be left without heatpipe contact on those.
    ASUS P5Q, E8400@3995Mhz, Radeon 5870, 2x2gb G-skill 6400 4-4-4-15

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janolle View Post
    I like that! It's almost safe to remove the IHS that way, plus you get a free shim that fits perfectly.

I'm wondering if there will be problems with direct touch heatpipe coolers. It's likely that a part of the core/cores will be left without heatpipe contact on those.
    It makes contact with the base of the heat sink that transfers to the pipes.

Xtreme Addict
    That looks great, especially as the remaing IHS on the edges will protect against pressure... I have to ask... is there still solder on the dies or are they bare?
    1.7%

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loser777 View Post
    That looks great, especially as the remaing IHS on the edges will protect against pressure... I have to ask... is there still solder on the dies or are they bare?
    They are bare.

Xtreme Addict
    so arcticlean eats the indium solder?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogerlad View Post
    so arcticlean eats the indium solder?
    no it does not, that stuff gets lapped off.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice Mod ....Almost the same the X4's except i leave the thin layer of copper ,, the whole IHS is only 2mm thick when done from top of side to pcb.. Because the soldered is usually laid on thick...

As for water blocks you can use Any one you want ... You just tighten the W/B base screws and check gasket then you can lap the W/B flat using little presshure when you sand.. No problem

Again great mod and Nice temps
    Last edited by gOtVoltage; 09-06-2008 at 08:53 PM.
    "AMD...Like the perfect Storm,...Everything needs to be just right"
    X555x4SuperCore@4450mhz@1.64v..........

RYZEN 7 1800x/ ASUS ROG STRIX VEGA64/ =EK NICKEL WB, Feser THC 2x360 1x480
    X470 Gigabyte Aorus7, Patriot 3400mhz 16gb dual2x8
    SSD Samsung 970pro,,860EVO

Turkey Man
    Can i be the first to really say that is ing awesome work and you really pulled it off nicely.
    You took the time, patience, and balls to actually do what many have just talked about and came trhough with flying colours.
    Respect.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks great!
    I did plan to do similar thing but I do´nt have time enuff for it.
    And there is also lack of motivation
    Last edited by BulldogPO; 09-07-2008 at 01:47 AM.

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Legend
    wooooooooow man

that's fantastic

nice work
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    Nice work, but dont understand why you guys are so amazed..

It's really common seen on the danish hw forums
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula rev1.03 440x10 - E8600 @ 4.4ghz by Sunbeam Tuniq Tower120
    4x1 Crucial Ballistix @ 1123mhz 5-5-5-15 2T
    XFX8800GTX @ 615/1500/2100mhz - XFI Xtreme Gamer
    4x1 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
    Enermax Galaxy 1000W
    CM Stacker830
    22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    MS IE 3.0 - Qck Steel - Sennheiser PC165

Turkey Man
    Probably because i dont look at danish forums

ODOC
    Same as Tim and Dino, great work

Xtreme Addict
    Would someone try for a Wolfdale to see the resultS?

I got a E8600 Wolfy that runs way way too hot. My q6600 runs cooler and i have it at 3.8Ghz. Thinking i want to try this out but i dont want to be sanding for 6 hours. But any fast way of doing this desides a File would produce too much heat and that you would have to take pretty slow. I might just try it what the hell it is only a few hundred bucks. Ill keep you updated
    ASUS P6T ~ Core i7 920 @3.8ghz ~ XfX HD4890~ 3x1Gb OCZ 1600Mhz ~2x150Gb WD Raptors ~ Antec 1200 ~ 37inch Jvc 1080p HDTV

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post
    This is perfection.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

here you go one wolfy E8600 sanded down to the Core.

Sorry about the bad picture my camera batteries need to be recharged so i couldnt get a better pic ..
    First off i would like to say your going to need to eat a whole box of wheeties before you start this mod. Half way threw your going to be saying to yourself what the @#%$ was i thinking. Then you will say the same thing 100 more time to the end.
    Just to let you know a file is not any faster took me 9 hours to get it to what you see in the picture.Before is hit the core chamber i switched to Sand paper But i only had 150 grit sandpaper on hand ( to bad ace hardware is not openb at 3AM in the morring) Also it took a toll on my hand Two blisters and two bloody fingers ( wear gloves if you got them)
    I had to sand down even farther then what i saw i the pictures to start this thread. I think the wolfy core is even lower then the cores of the Q6600.
    First test went bad 15c higher then it was before. But i think the water block was lieing to me. it was showing 100% coverage on the core. But since the door is off the cpu socket there is springback.So i might be hitting the side rail of the cpu socket with full presure causeing it not to get 100%. I was way to tired to mess with it anymore. Fingers hurting arm sore I took myself to bed. I might mess with it again here in a little bit i will update my results
    ASUS P6T ~ Core i7 920 @3.8ghz ~ XfX HD4890~ 3x1Gb OCZ 1600Mhz ~2x150Gb WD Raptors ~ Antec 1200 ~ 37inch Jvc 1080p HDTV

Turkey Man
    Good effort, please report back your final findings.

Xtreme Member
    If you look at my pictures in my first post you will see that on my 65nm Q6600 the cooler is touching the latch that holds the clamp. Did you remove the clamp?. You must make sure that the top of your super lapped cpu is the highest point and not a part of the cpu socked above it. you can probable use some nose pliers to CAREFULLY bent the part down a little. since a 65nm barely makes it then 45nm needs some extra effort on the motherboard. Not a big problem if done very carefully.

I have a danger den MC-TDX water block just about the whole block will fit inside the cpu clamp bracket. It did have a mark where it was hitting the side where the metal bar is that you use to clamp the cpu in it would for sure hit the part where your TRUE rests. I dont have to worry about that with this block. I did cut a little bit of a channel in the water block to make sure it doesnt hit. But still the same problem. The water block shows good contact with the cores when i take it off. but something is happening when i tighten it all the way down. I`ll figure it out sooner or later. Not to worried about it I have my Q6600 in here now running at 3.8 doesnt get over 68 under full load. It is a bit harder for me since i have water cooling on everything so i cant take the board out of the case to see what the deal is. I might get a new radiator next week if i do that, I want to redo my loop make a change or two So the system will get drained and i can pull the board and figure out what the problem is, Plus by then my fingers will have healed and my arm wont be so sore. So i`ll be in a better mood to deal with it. Just needs a tweek or two to work it out

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post
    I used 100 grit wet-dry and I was lapping without water because water killed the sand paper way to early. You have to completely shave off the top part of the IHS and this will take 6+ hours.
    There is a quicker way:

Random orbital sander, belt sander would be quicker, and don't worry too much about the die/dice since Si is much harder than Cu the surrounding IHS material will etch faster than the die.
    Last edited by initialised; 09-10-2008 at 03:51 PM.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

I'd love to do this to my QX9650, but £450 is a lot of cash to be playing with... maybe later in it's lifetime. Add to that the worry that even with the shim, I'd be worried about the weight of a TRUE 120 hanging off of it. I'll probably wait till I can afford a watercooling setup, I'd imagine the pressure on the die is much more uniform with a small waterblock, rather than a huge heatsink.

Great job though mate, nice result!
    Uranus is surrounded by clouds of methane and ammonia
    Sir Patrick Moore; The Sky at Night.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquidgyB View Post
    I'd love to do this to my QX9650, but £450 is a lot of cash to be playing with... maybe later in it's lifetime. Add to that the worry that even with the shim, I'd be worried about the weight of a TRUE 120 hanging off of it. I'll probably wait till I can afford a watercooling setup, I'd imagine the pressure on the die is much more uniform with a small waterblock, rather than a huge heatsink.

Great job though mate, nice result!
    Yea QX9650 is probably a bad idea to experiment like this on. Mine is still running fine with my Tunic tightly screwed in. Looks like keeping the outside part of the IHS was worth it at least for me. I paid $200 for my Q6600 and I was worried about loosing it because it's a good working chip. I would not do this to a chip that costs more than $1000.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Can i be the first to really say that is ing awesome work and you really pulled it off nicely.
    You took the time, patience, and balls to actually do what many have just talked about and came trhough with flying colours.
    Respect.
    +1
    Has anyone thought about doing this with a bench grinder?
    As Los Alamos director J. Robert Oppenheimer watched the demonstration, he later said that a line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita came to mind:
    "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
    Test director Kenneth Bainbridge in turn said to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of b**ches." wiki

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast