Thread: Graphics card will not work after XP Logo!

Xtreme Enthusiast

Unhappy Graphics card will not work after XP Logo!

Sorry Mod can you move this to General Hardware

Hi All,

Here is the situation, about 9 months ago my graphics card stopped working after the Xp Logo and load bar appeared for the first time. Then the screen just goes blank but the power on LED remains active. If no signal the LED turns red not blue.

So I did not try to fix the situation, just removed the card and let the onboard graphics card take the starin.

I just tried another card a FX520 and the original FX550 and same problem. The PC wont even Boot in safe mode with a card in. It stops at giveio.sys or mup.sys.

I have tried all the usual methods of installing drivers, new drivers, old drivers, deleting speed fan, unpluging USB devices and going back to PS2 mouse/keyboard. Still wont boot in safe mode, now just stops in safe mode. Even unistalled the webcam in case that was causing the problem, still not working!!!!

Even tried a Recover with the XP installation CD. Even tried flashing the BIOS with the latested version. Flushed the BIOS and set factory defualts. All a waste of time! Changed the RAM with different sticks, even stopped any overclocking!!!!!!

I know this is just my downloading PC, but I would like to get it fixed! So anybody have any ideas, before I do a CLEAN INSTALL!!!!!!!

CPU P4E 2.8Ghz
    RAM 2x512MB
    MB AsRock P4GI45
    Graphics FX520 or FX550
    Last edited by chinaguy; 09-03-2008 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Wrong Area

I would just do the clean install.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You could try using the XP cd with the recovery option.

D-Tek Fuzion quad nozzle & MCW30
    8800GTS 512 @820/999/1998 with a MCW60
    2xMCP655b
    1xMCR320 and 1xMCR120 with 4x Yate Loon SH's
    2x Raptor X

Quote Originally Posted by WoZZeR999 View Post
    You could try using the XP cd with the recovery option.
    You missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    Sorry Mod can you move this to General Hardware

Hi All,

Here is the situation, about 9 months ago my graphics card stopped working after the Xp Logo and load bar appeared for the first time. Then the screen just goes blank but the power on LED remains active. If no signal the LED turns red not blue.

So I did not try to fix the situation, just removed the card and let the onboard graphics card take the starin.

I just tried another card a FX520 and the original FX550 and same problem. The PC wont even Boot in safe mode with a card in. It stops at giveio.sys or mup.sys.

I have tried all the usual methods of installing drivers, new drivers, old drivers, deleting speed fan, unpluging USB devices and going back to PS2 mouse/keyboard. Still wont boot in safe mode, now just stops in safe mode. Even unistalled the webcam in case that was causing the problem, still not working!!!!

Even tried a Recover with the XP installation CD. Even tried flashing the BIOS with the latested version. Flushed the BIOS and set factory defualts. All a waste of time! Changed the RAM with different sticks, even stopped any overclocking!!!!!!

I know this is just my downloading PC, but I would like to get it fixed! So anybody have any ideas, before I do a CLEAN INSTALL!!!!!!!

CPU P4E 2.8Ghz
    RAM 2x512MB
    MB AsRock P4GI45
    Graphics FX520 or FX550

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Screw Windows automated recovery, it doesn't know what it's doing.

Fire up the recovery console (different thing), type "help" to get the list of commands, and try a chkdsk and repair (don't have it in front of me so can't remember exactly what the commands are). Also, is there any change you can try the card/s in another machine?
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

how do you do this without booting into windows?
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

I am Xtreme
    I'm probably missing something here, but here goes. You should be able to install the graphics card with the on board graphics. When the system starts up, go into the bios and look for the option that asks which video chipset should have priority. The options should be something like PEG, PCI, etc. It should default to PEG. If that's what it says with the card plugged in, then stop reading and ignore this post. If not, set it to PEG and see if it boots. It should. Then you can dl and install the proper drivers, reboot and this time change the setting to PCI.

Good luck.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi Guys,

After working with computers for 25 years I have tried all the obvious methods of solving this problem. I have even given this to my Techi's at work and it has them scratching their heads.

I have fitted a spare drive into the PC and done a clean install on that and the graphics card works fine now. But I still want to fix this problem.

IT HAS BECOME A CRUSADE, man v machine!

You simply had a borked install, now it's fixed, you're done.

Xtreme Addict
    sounds like a problem with your video driver. can you boot into safe mode? if you can, it's definitely a driver problem. boot into safe mode, uninstall video driver and run DCP, then reboot and your problem would theoretically be solved.

(the thread is long and i don't feel like reading. sorry if this has already been tried.)
    Last edited by xMrBunglex; 09-06-2008 at 02:51 AM.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Yea ^ If you are at least seeing bios and a boot screen, your card is working for the most part, and should work in safe mode. I had the same problem with my 9800. It was a driver problem that was fixed with installing the latest drivers. Given, you have to do a clean uninstall. I also noticed the problem would go away if I unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well now into RegEdit and Hex repair, still no use card still will not work!

Never mind at least it allowed me to replace the old Maxtor 80gb/5400rmp with a Samsung 80gb/7200rpm with a notable increase in bootup time.

Its still a good PC for what I need it for downloading Dr Who and Topgear!