Thread: Nvidia officially supporting shutterglasses once again

Xtreme Addict

Nvidia officially supporting shutterglasses once again

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=9133&Itemid=1

Obviously, those have to be shutter glasses since it's connected to a wire, with emphasis on a 120Hz LCD monitor. Rejoice!!!!!

The industry left us out in the dark ages ever since LCD's took over CRT's. And most of you guys have never even experienced gaming in 3-D.

Well, I have always been gaming in 3-D as much as possible, and still can right now with shutterglasses and my beloved CRT monitor. There's a way to do it with G80 cards with current drivers, see:
    http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1072

3-D shutter glasses can be found very cheaply on Ebay ($5-10). However, if you only have a LCD monitor, you might be stuck with using red/cyan anaglyph glasses which does make the picture lose some color (red and blue) though, if you still want 3-D. Although DX10 is not supported like with Nvidia's recent Stereo3D drivers, IZ3D has even better support for DX9 and OpenGL games for both ATI and Nvidia cards!!! (see www.iz3d.com for driver downloads )
    Last edited by Bo_Fox; 08-28-2008 at 06:48 AM.

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Legend
    yeah they had a setup during last Nvidia Editors Day with that Assassins Creed game

it was mind blowing
    i wish i had one of those TVs though hehehe
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=9133&Itemid=1

Obviously, those have to be shutter glasses since it's connected to a wire, with emphasis on a 120Hz LCD monitor. Rejoice!!!!!
    They're not connected to a wire. They're wireless shutter glasses.

Xtreme Member
    Now all we need are some 120hz LCD monitors.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr7 View Post
    They're not connected to a wire. They're wireless shutter glasses.
    source or reference please?

I'm personally against wireless shutterglasses because of the weight, batteries, etc.. Are you sure those are shutters, not anaglyph because in one picture, the left looked slightly red and the right blue. I found this strange.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    source or reference please?

I'm personally against wireless shutterglasses because of the weight, batteries, etc.. Are you sure those are shutters, not anaglyph because in one picture, the left looked slightly red and the right blue. I found this strange.
    I was there. All the glasses they had like this at NVISION were wireless. The only thing they had attached to them was a leash to keep people from stealing them.

They are shutters, and they are barely any heavier than a normal pair of sunglasses. You wouldn't notice the difference between that and a pair of Oakley Gascan's.

They aren't any bulkier either.
    Last edited by Sr7; 08-29-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I tried them once before, it felt cool at first, but after a while, I was getting pretty sick.
    A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thephenom View Post
    I tried them once before, it felt cool at first, but after a while, I was getting pretty sick.
    Most of the time that's just because you're forcing your eyes to cross a little for long durations of time. Depending on your distance, you need to adjust the distance between the alternate eye renderings. So if you had it set up properly specifically for you (as you would at your house), it's not so bad.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    I was going to say, I don't think these glasses need batteries. It's like at a 3D movie theater (of today's times, not the Blue/Red).

For $5, I'll definitely give it a try...
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    I was going to say, I don't think these glasses need batteries. It's like at a 3D movie theater (of today's times, not the Blue/Red).

$5? I guess you still have a CRT that can do 120Hz then, as you would need a panel capable of delivering 120 frames per second.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post

They absolutely need batteries (little watch batteries), as they have electronics. They are shutter glasses which very quickly (in sync with each frame from a different camera position) flick between clear and dark in both lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    $5? I guess you still have a CRT that can do 120Hz then, as you would need a panel capable of delivering 120 frames per second.
    120 refreshes, not frames per second! Let's not confuse the two. You can have a refresh which shows tearing because it's straddling two frames.

BTW, they are beginning to make 120Hz LCD's now, which is the cause for this resurgence of 3d stereo:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=199835
    Last edited by Sr7; 08-30-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I have a 120 hertz samsung dlp tv that has the 3d mode built into it. You can buy the software and glasses and using a computer play any game or watch any movie in 3d according to the info. I think that I am going to get the stuff and try it out. It is my understanding that you cannot really display a hd resolution with this however.
    i7 920...Intel DX58SO
    12gb Patriot Viper Xtreme
    Palit GTX 560 ti 2gb SLI
    Antec Quattro 1000...Twelve Hundred Case
    Intel X25-M 80gb x 4 Raid 0...Hitachi 7K3000 2tb
    Sony GDM-FW900...Z-5500...X-Fi Forte

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Well, I guess I guess I was wrong twice. No 3D for me then.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Addict
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=9271&Itemid=1

Yeah Sr7, you're right that those are wireless. Fuad said that the "wires" are for recharging the batteries, so hmmm... cool.

Fuad is just wrong in the article that the shutter glasses concept did not take off as well as it should have becuase of the weak graphics cards or the glasses themselves. The reason is that 60 Hz LCD's took over CRT's right around at that time.

And it's not an "issue" when you go fast and not be so impressed by the 3D anymore. No, it's because 3D is natural and when you go fast, you forget that you're no longer playing in 2D. And I get used to the 3D, only to be blown away the next time I see it after going back to 2D for a few days. Fuad must have had a brain fart a couple of times there... excuse you, Fuad!