Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8800Ultra + BlackGate Recap

Xtreme Addict
    Whatever man. I'll just recap my old S3 Savage 4 Pro and gain Pixel Shader 4.1 support with it and performance beyond GTX 280.
    Oh and colors will be more natural and rich than the ones in nature. Khm...

I recaped my Xtreme Music because it's main cap pin was teared out a bit (long story with P5Q Dlx and VF-900 on GFX card), not because i was searching for ultimate sound. If i were looking for that, i'd replace opamps and DAC's first, not some caps. Now that makes all the sense and logic there is. But hey if you want to stick ridiculously big caps (in a ridiculously high numbers) on your hardware, well, then do it. It's just lolish to observe you describing incredible boosts and stuff. Anyone half serious would test first with some real numbers before claiming such things. Unless you want to be "The guy with biggest caps in the block". Then you're already a winner...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nfm View Post
    I think Panasonic FM are overhyped, specs are really good so is the price, but nowhere near the BlackGates so probably that's why I didn't see anything improved, they helped on my Prelude X-Fi but not on 8800GT maybe because of 2-phase PWM that is really weak and cheap to start with. I still have to try BlackGates on a graphics card, I only have 2 caps ATM on my Prelude X-Fi, these things are expensive to mess around .
    Now that's clever when done right , I had 50/50 success ripping them off so I still need to practice. When soldering in parallel to existing cap, do you think that it would be best to take of the original cap so it doesn't interfere, or it doesn't matter? Thanks.
    if id find better/cheaper caps than the blackgates id buyem.. im still waiting for the day when someone will say that they have found a better cap/s than the blackgates

2.. even better 3 x FK 1000uf in parallel where the 470uf stock condenser is on your prelude and itll knock your socks off just a 470uf 6.3v @ 180uf stock condenser

in my opinion its best to replace the cap

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    Whatever man. I'll just recap my old S3 Savage 4 Pro and gain Pixel Shader 4.1 support with it and performance beyond GTX 280.
    Oh and colors will be more natural and rich than the ones in nature. Khm...

I recaped my Xtreme Music because it's main cap pin was teared out a bit (long story with P5Q Dlx and VF-900 on GFX card), not because i was searching for ultimate sound. If i were looking for that, i'd replace opamps and DAC's first, not some caps. Now that makes all the sense and logic there is. But hey if you want to stick ridiculously big caps (in a ridiculously high numbers) on your hardware, well, then do it. It's just lolish to observe you describing incredible boosts and stuff. Anyone half serious would test first with some real numbers before claiming such things. Unless you want to be "The guy with biggest caps in the block". Then you're already a winner...
    look man i didnt mean/or want to be rude/nasty to you..

{idk why all you saw was the big caps when the first mod i did on mx300/xmeridian/prelude/prodigy hifi was the opamp/s.. than i turned to total recapping.. and when i posted the pics up i clearly stated the upgraded opamps

you want numbers? forget about it! if your ears are not able to tell the difference what will numbers offer you then? comfort? ive tuned my sound cards to my hearing delite not to some stupid numbers

you think every cap ive tried was up to my satisfaction/up to what i expected to perform? no! but i didnt stop trying.. and these are ridiculously big caps? come on man.. have you seen the 10000/50000/100000uf ones?}

but if this is a jealousy thing.. which ive suspected from the start.. thats your problem.. me? i dont hate/am jealous of someone having better stuff/hardware/money than myself.. more power to that someone

Quote Originally Posted by RaZz! View Post
    could you do some screenshots where we are able to actually see the pq improvements? i'm curious to see your results
    i dont have a before and after but these pics are on 10 x 1000uf 25V NX

rez: 1920x1080
    drivers: 177.89
    af: 16x
    aa: 4x
    supersampling

F11 -> GIMP2 -> saved as jpeg 100% quality
    Last edited by NapalmV5; 09-18-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    These pics would be more useful if you'd also have stock images. But i guess we can't expect you to change everything back to stock again...
    If i'd ever recap anything i'd do it on PWM part in hope for better overclock. I just don' think it's worth for anything else.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Guru
    more useful? but of course i knew exactly how this would turn out this is my first video recap ever pq never crossed my mind.. expected a measily 5 maybe 10 mhz increase at best.. i wouldnt have bothered to post this mod but instead i got 20 core/50 shader/50 memory - thats real numbers if you want numbers.. i didnt pullem out of my arse

even if id be able to go back to stock caps and show you clear difference.. youd still be unsatisfied

do whatever you think its right for your mod
    Last edited by NapalmV5; 09-19-2008 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NapalmV5 View Post
    more useful? but of course i knew exactly how this would turn out this is my first video recap ever pq never crossed my mind.. expected a measily 5 maybe 10 mhz increase at best.. i wouldnt have bothered to post this mod but instead i got 20 core/50 shader/50 memory - thats real numbers if you want numbers.. i didnt pullem out of my arse

even if id be able to go back to stock caps and show you clear difference.. youd still be unsatisfied

do whatever you think its right for your mod
    Amazing results mate i couldn't find those caps here...damn talked to a friend that's electronic Ing and told me to use others that can be find on good boards, same as my mate Cryptik told me, problem is that i don't wanna put used ones...i will keep on searching...

very happy with my GTX vmod...at 684/1836/2268 I can now play Crysis at 1680x1050 al high except shadows and X2AA totall fluid not any lag as i had before...So soon as i find those caps I wil test

Thank you mate keep is posted with your results
    Intel Core i9-7980XE@ 4.8GHz 18C/18TH (Direct Die Contact)
    ASRock X299 OC Formula
    ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D80 (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C17 B-Die
    1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB
    4x HP EX950 NVMe 2TB on ASRock ULTRA M.2 CARD
    EVGA RTX 2080TI KINGPIN 2190/8000 Stock Cooling AIO 240
    SilverStone ST1500W-TI TITANIUM
    Alphacool Custom Water Cooling

Banned
    Nice recap man, very clean work

So you just pull out the caps using your hands? Im still getting practice capping, any tips you can offeR?

Xtreme Guru
    thanks.. yeh just ripem off by rocking till come off

Xtreme Member
    NapalmV5, how do you know wich volt caps to use in your recap projects? When to use 16V caps and when 100V caps?

Banned
    The Voltage ain't the important bit you can use one a bit higher, its the " μm " you go by.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by humeyboy View Post
    The Voltage ain't the important bit you can use one a bit higher, its the " μm " you go by.
    So it okay to use what ever voltage caps and " μm ", as long as the price fits to your wallet?

Xtreme Mentor
    No it's not. You need to know what the voltage is that the cap is a certain position will be exposed to, and use a cap that will suit.

You don't want to use a 63v cap for a 2v +/- 0.5v signal where a 4v cap was originally. There are a few schools of thought on this but in my opinion around 80% utilization regarding voltage rating/tolerance of a given cap is considered optimal. Never use a cap with lower voltage rating than it will exposed to.

Regarding farad rating, going too high or too low will affect circuit dynamics negatively, there again is an acceptable range of farad rating, ESR etc that will have optimal effects, however calculating these optimal specs will be well above the average non electrical engineer, so try to stay around the values of the cap you are replacing.
    Last edited by CryptiK; 11-22-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    ^ exactly what cryptik stated above

capping vacant c111/c112/c114/c116 big boost for all clocks

Xtreme Member
    Amazing 8800Ultra
    • i7 920 D0
    • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    • Corsair Dominator 12GB
    • MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC 2GB
    • OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
    • WD1002FAEX 1TB
    • Corsair HX850W
    • CaseLabs Magnum TH10
    • Dell UltraSharp U2410
    • Logitech G500
    • SteelSeries QcK Mass
    • Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX

NooB MOD
    I'm taking a stab in the dark, but a theory for better picture quality would be bigger caps = smoother voltages?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12