Thread: Best liquid/mixture to use?

Best liquid/mixture to use?

Im sure there have been alot of threads on this, but ive been reading about what is the best liquid to use in a water cooling setup. Now i have heard that 100% distilled was the best, but then i have also heard distilled water w/ zerek and a few drops of pt_nuke was the best. Now what is everyone opinion on what would be the best coolant as far as best heat transfer? Also i looked up this on performance pcs.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=20830

Is that any good?

Any input would be appreciated.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping @ 3.6ghz 9x400 (Dtek Fuzion CPU Block)
    4gb G Skill DDR2 1000 @ 474mhz
    EVGA 8800gt @ 700/1850/2000 41c Idle/44c Load (Swiftech MCW60 GPU Block)
    500gb Seagate Barracuda
    Seasonic S12 600watt powersupply
    Westinghouse 26" HDTV
    Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    100% distilled water is the best for temperatures. That's all I use with a few drops of Biocide. Asking this question is going to get you a lot of different answers as everyone has their own voodoo super secret mixture.

Xtreme Member
    100% distilled water + a few drops of copper sulfate.

Unless, of course, you're using mixed metals.

No, im not mixing any metals. So 100 percent distilled water with biocide is better than distilled/zerex mixed?
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping @ 3.6ghz 9x400 (Dtek Fuzion CPU Block)
    4gb G Skill DDR2 1000 @ 474mhz
    EVGA 8800gt @ 700/1850/2000 41c Idle/44c Load (Swiftech MCW60 GPU Block)
    500gb Seagate Barracuda
    Seasonic S12 600watt powersupply
    Westinghouse 26" HDTV
    Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Member
    Yup. The only reason I use Pentosin G11 is for the color. I like the nice blue it has, and it doesn't stain my stuff. If you don't care about color (or you have colored tubes) just stay with the pure distilled water and biocide. If you do want to add color, just use a 10% mixture of whatever with rest distilled water. It'll add a nice rich color without hurting your thermal performance by any measurable amount.

Xtreme Member

Cool

I ran my first 2 water-cooled systems with dye and one of them with swiftech HydrX. Both were nightmarishly filled with "stuff". I call it stuff, but it has a lot of names; gunk, goo, slime, "it", slop, the blob etc. etc. Fact is, it isn't pretty and has to be cleaned thoroughly as it clogs up blocks and clouds up and stains tubing to the point of making them garbage. I have re-done one system currently using only distilled water and PT Nuke. The second system will finish being re-done shortly. I know those dye's are very pretty and tempting, I'm still tempted, but it's just not worth it.
    "Overclocking is a Nerds way of sticking it to The Man,
    I'm no Nerd,
    but I love sticking it to The Man"

Xtreme Addict
    Lol. I'm debating whether to buy some Feser Orange pre-mix to match my orange DFI board on the way. Talk about risk analysis...

Never go full retard
    After much debate on the topic and running a variety of fluids (Distilled+PT_nuke, Distilled+PT_nuke+Feser Dye, Distilled+PT_nuke+Pentosin, Feser Premix, etc.) I say run whatever you want in your loops. Dyes will stain tubes, so be prepared to change tubing if you want to change color, Dyes can stain blocks, dyes can clog...just research what you're going to run and be prepared for the maintenance aspect of your system.

Again, I repeat...be prepared for the maintenance aspect of your system.

If you're after all out performance, you know the proper choice...Distilled+PT_nuke

Want some bling but performance as well, again you know your choice. Distilled+PT_nuke+Feser Dye or Distilled+PT_nuke+Pentosin or Feser Premix

Just don't run that Fluid XP crap, far too thick.

Text formatting brought to you today by RRR.
    Last edited by skinnee; 09-01-2008 at 07:22 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRedRaider View Post
    From what I've seen here on XS, mixing anything other than Distilled H2O with any FESER product, causes BIG problems...
    Be careful mixing Feser with hydrogen oxyde

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRedRaider View Post
    From what I've seen here on XS, mixing anything other than Distilled H2O with any FESER product, causes BIG problems...
    I shall quote myself on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    Again, I repeat...be prepared for the maintenance aspect of your system.

Xtreme Member
    Do you think it'll be fine to mix distilled water with Primochill blood red dye?

I want to have blood red coolant without having to go through the Fluid XP route.
    • Intel Core i7 860 @ 4.2GHz
    • EVGA P55 FTW
    • 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2000
    • BFG GeForce GTX 260
    • Coolermaster Cosmos S

• Swiftech Apogee XT Block
    • Swiftech MCP655 (D5 Vario)
    • Black Ice GTX 480 w/ (8) Yate Loon High-Speed Fans
    • Swiftech MCRES-Micro Rev2

Xtreme Addict
    Include in maintenance that if you get this "colored water" on anything, clothes, rugs, certain plastic table surfaces, tablecloths, etc, it will stain them some color variation of your liquid. That compares with Water/PTnuke that you can keep in a marked bottle and top off whenever you see fit.

Same thing with draining and refilling, special care not to spill or get the "old" and "new" stuff onto anything, possibly cleaning blocks, rads, recutting new pipe, and so forth.

In return you get colored water...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by dM@n View Post
    Do you think it'll be fine to mix distilled water with Primochill blood red dye?

I want to have blood red coolant without having to go through the Fluid XP route.
    I think you'll need biocide too. Petras PT-Nuke is really popular. It's a solution of copper sulfide?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Never go full retard
    Yup, copper sulfate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I run straight Distilled. I do however have a small silver rod epoxied into a brass stopper plug. I've run dyes, still do at times for leak testing but I've found that just straight distilled is the best for long term. Make sure that you chose a functional means of growth control and you should be fine.
    If my answers frighten you, stop asking such scary questions...

• Hush V2
    • Intel i7 4770K - XSPC Raystorm - Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 - Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1866 - 9-9-9-24
    • Zoltac Geforce GTX 780Ti - EK-FC780GTX Ti
    • SanDisk Ultra 480GB SSD - WD Black 1TB 64MB Cache
    • Custom Water Cooled Fractal Designs Define R4 - Antec HCP-1000 Platinum
    • EK Coolstream XTC 280 - Cougar CF-V14HB Vortex HDB - XSPC EX240 - Scythe GT AP-15
    • Dazmode Storm DDC 3.25 - AquaComputer Aqualis DDC 150 Reservoir

Xtreme Addict
    Copper Sulfate isn't even all that nasty in dilution, so spilling distilled that contains CS isn't that big a deal.

Xtreme Member

Cool

I've bled plenty of times and it has never been the color of the Primochill blood red dye. The stuff is way to close to pink once mixed with the water. I used that stuff in my second system and the dye rendered my dual bay reservoir and tubing useless with horrible stains. Both are now in the garbage. The dual bay reservoir was the XSPC pump/reservoir combo so that was a hefty $80 in the garbage. Also my DD TDX had to be scrubbed thoroughly. I hope you have better luck then me.
    "Overclocking is a Nerds way of sticking it to The Man,
    I'm no Nerd,
    but I love sticking it to The Man"