Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AT&T DSL kaput :(

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentential View Post
    Iirc normal telephone cords arent shielded which is why ADSL2+ modems are heavily affected by cable length. Cable as a whole has problems with degrading signal quality which we measure as Attuneuation (spelling fail). The cables in the wall are shielded and as that cable goes out to the NID (which is basically a signal repeater) and then it goes underground to the local DSLAM (digital subscriber line analog multiplexer?) which it then splits into the POTS (plain old telephone system) and fibre-optic cable (fiber goes to CO)
    Not exactly. All main cables are shielded and bonded to reduce noise. For the most part all buried service wires that have been installed in the past 5 years are also bonded. No wire in a residential building is shielded or bonded unless some one has done it themselves. A NID is nothing more than a lightning protection element and a phone jack all wrapped up in one pretty box. Most phone lines are still mostly run on copper, the biggest difference comes in the newer fibre fed boxes which will incorporate their own SLAMs rather than having the SLAM in the CO. This severely reduces the length of the DSL loop and gives greater reach to the ISP. Some boxes are large walk in cabinets that have shelves specifically for SLAMs or "Combo Cards" which are just as they sound a SLAM and POTS OE all in one card. Older boxes that have fibre capabilities previously just for voice are sometimes upgraded to include a "Stinger" which is just a small fibre fed cabinet that sits on the side of the original box and provides the SLAMs. These outside SLAM ports are generally not called DSLAM but take on other letter combos like RSLAM to differentiate them and make it easier for the field techs to know what they are dealing with. Here where I work we have D/B/F/N/R/S/Z SLAMs all tied to different types of fibre nodes. These outside nodes are where the POTS/DSL signals are split then sent to the CO where they are routed to the nearest POP for your ISP.

I am a broadcom field tech for a very large DSL provider in Canada. What you are experiencing could be caused by what we refer to as "capping out". Basically you should never be profiled for more than 80% of what your line can handle (basically what Sentential said to provide 6m service you need a max attainable of ~8m). Problem is most providers forget to look at both sides of the sync. Generally the problems are not with the down stream but with the up. From the sounds of it you would be at a 6046/800 profile. This can be caused by many factors, noise, loop length, defective or missing filters, poor quality wiring, defective or leaking splices among many others. Without being able to see the line report I couldn't tell you what or where the problem is. Things to always try and avoid: line cords in excess of 6 feet, multiple phones run on one filter, using a surge protector on the DSL line I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

I don't know about down in the US but up here tech's that swap out modems are either just lazy or don't know what they are doing. Very rarely do modems just go bad unless they get hit with a power surge, are dropped, or some one takes a hammer to it (had this happen this week).

Ask your service provider to install a POTS splitter. Run a dedicated line from the POTS splitter directly to the spot where you use the modem. This way you can make sure that the wiring is good. Don't buy cheap wiring. 22AWG 4 conductor "Quad" as we call it isn't very expensive and will do you wonders. Don't use anything that is stranded, ever. Solid core wiring is the only thing you should be using.
    If my answers frighten you, stop asking such scary questions...

• Hush V2
    • Intel i7 4770K - XSPC Raystorm - Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 - Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1866 - 9-9-9-24
    • Zoltac Geforce GTX 780Ti - EK-FC780GTX Ti
    • SanDisk Ultra 480GB SSD - WD Black 1TB 64MB Cache
    • Custom Water Cooled Fractal Designs Define R4 - Antec HCP-1000 Platinum
    • EK Coolstream XTC 280 - Cougar CF-V14HB Vortex HDB - XSPC EX240 - Scythe GT AP-15
    • Dazmode Storm DDC 3.25 - AquaComputer Aqualis DDC 150 Reservoir

I dont understand this "capping out"... are you saying perhaps i'm getting more speed than I should be getting out of my 6046/800 connection?

I'm getting around 5000 mbps which is average for the 6mb package...

I have no filters installed. I'm not using home phone service, therefore I have nothing other than the one modem connected to any wall jack in the house. I was told a filter was not needed.

My line is long. Much longer than 6'. I'll be changing that out shortly.

Already took the phone line off the surge protector.

I do have a new modem sitting at the appt. office waiting for me to pick it up. I'll be doin that tomorrow. See what happens. DSL tech guy that came to my house saw nothing abnormal about my line report.

What is this POTS splitter you speak of?

Hammer is looking more and more useful day by day... lol

I think my problem is actually getting worse... woke up this morning, my computer was asleep, dsl light was flashing red... seems like my modem just likes to disconnect and reconnect whenever it wants...

Muslim Overclocker
    I think you have a bad modem. My dsl modem started giving me bad ping recently, I unplug it for 10 seconds, plug it back in and ping goes back to normal.

I just got a new one, and ping is always nice now.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Redvan View Post
    I dont understand this "capping out"... are you saying perhaps i'm getting more speed than I should be getting out of my 6046/800 connection?

I'm getting around 5000 mbps which is average for the 6mb package...

I have no filters installed. I'm not using home phone service, therefore I have nothing other than the one modem connected to any wall jack in the house. I was told a filter was not needed.

My line is long. Much longer than 6'. I'll be changing that out shortly.

Already took the phone line off the surge protector.

I do have a new modem sitting at the appt. office waiting for me to pick it up. I'll be doin that tomorrow. See what happens. DSL tech guy that came to my house saw nothing abnormal about my line report.

What is this POTS splitter you speak of?

Hammer is looking more and more useful day by day... lol

I think my problem is actually getting worse... woke up this morning, my computer was asleep, dsl light was flashing red... seems like my modem just likes to disconnect and reconnect whenever it wants...

A good sync rate is usually running 80% of the lines maximum capacity. Once you exceed about 90% you develop problems. Think of it like trying to shoot a fire hose into a dixie cup. If we take my 6014/800 example your maximum attainable should be some where around 7500 down and 1000 up. If your upstream max attainable was say 900 it would put you over 90% and thus start causing issues. I hope that clears things up.
    If my answers frighten you, stop asking such scary questions...

• Hush V2
    • Intel i7 4770K - XSPC Raystorm - Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 - Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1866 - 9-9-9-24
    • Zoltac Geforce GTX 780Ti - EK-FC780GTX Ti
    • SanDisk Ultra 480GB SSD - WD Black 1TB 64MB Cache
    • Custom Water Cooled Fractal Designs Define R4 - Antec HCP-1000 Platinum
    • EK Coolstream XTC 280 - Cougar CF-V14HB Vortex HDB - XSPC EX240 - Scythe GT AP-15
    • Dazmode Storm DDC 3.25 - AquaComputer Aqualis DDC 150 Reservoir

ahh, so how can i tell if i'm capping out?

Also, got my new modem set up. Still have the problem... Gonna reinstall XP on my computer and see if that helps... probably wont have time to do that till this weekend though...

Xtreme Member
    "It may be a dry heat, but 115F is still friggin' hot" - Gilbert, AZ
    ahh, so how can i tell if i'm capping out?

Also, got my new modem set up. Still have the problem... Gonna reinstall XP on my computer and see if that helps... probably wont have time to do that till this weekend though...
    If your DSL light is blinking, it has absolutely nothing to do with your computer and reinstalling XP will do nothing but waste some of that prime weekend time.
    Intel E6700 @3700
    Asus P5W64
    Kitty Litter Water Coolertm
    2 x 1gb G.skill 6400 HZ
    "Some people couldn't get a clue if they smeared their body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance while sounding the clue mating call in a field full of horny clues at the height of clue mating season."

yeah... just figured that out as i'm on my wife's laptop and mine is completely off, and the DSL light still flashes red... every 5 min or so it seems...

perhaps if i got comcast...

i'm pretty fed up with this bull . AT&T is no help at all in any problem solving... all they do every time is say "oh, we dont see any problems"... we'll they'll be fekin kissin my ass pretty soon here... And I'll be getting my money back for the past month this has been happening.

EDIT: lmao, love the banana's

gonna try the 3mb plan...

on 3mb now. Still get the little flashing red light Plugged into a shorter phone cable today, we'll see what that does.

Something i noticed: I have multiple phone cables laying around, my 25' (or 50', cant remember how long that one is i've been using), I have a 6', and a couple 10'.
    My really long one and the two 10' cables have 4 connectors on each terminal.
    My 6' cable only has 2 connectors on each.

The phone cable that the modem came with is a 10' and has 4 connectors.

The modem's DSL IN jack only has 2.

wtf? What's the difference? And why would AT&T send a data cable with 4 connectors if the modem only uses 2?

Xtreme Member
    on 3mb now. Still get the little flashing red light Plugged into a shorter phone cable today, we'll see what that does.

Something i noticed: I have multiple phone cables laying around, my 25' (or 50', cant remember how long that one is i've been using), I have a 6', and a couple 10'.
    My really long one and the two 10' cables have 4 connectors on each terminal.
    My 6' cable only has 2 connectors on each.

The phone cable that the modem came with is a 10' and has 4 connectors.

The modem's DSL IN jack only has 2.

wtf? What's the difference? And why would AT&T send a data cable with 4 connectors if the modem only uses 2?
    Phone lines only use 1 pair (2 wires.) Those cables and devices that only have the 1 pair installed are just trying to save money. There's nothing wrong.
    Intel E6700 @3700
    Asus P5W64
    2 x 1gb G.skill 6400 HZ
    "Some people couldn't get a clue if they smeared their body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance while sounding the clue mating call in a field full of horny clues at the height of clue mating season."

so one with 4 connectors is a "2 pair"? And there's no benefit to using that over a 1 pair?

Xtreme Member
    so one with 4 connectors is a "2 pair"? And there's no benefit to using that over a 1 pair?
    Phones, and any technology that comes over the phone lines only use 1 pair, i.e. ISDN, POTS, DSL, etc.; it doesn't matter how many pair cable or connectors on the device you have. You can use a Cat5 cable and an RJ45 jack and the data will still come over only 1 pair, in this case the the two middle wires pins 4 and 5.

It still sound like you have something wrong with either your cable modem or the DSL service itself.
    Intel E6700 @3700
    Asus P5W64
    2 x 1gb G.skill 6400 HZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12