Thread: Which Colder (CNC) Disconnect Model?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Which Colder (CNC) Disconnect Model?

I need to get some quick disconnects for a radbox build. I've narrowed it down to 2 models from Colder as potentially being the best and least flow restrictive. Which one is a better choice do you think?

1. HFC12
    Main Components: Polypropylene
    Coupling Size: 3/8"
    Pressure: Vacuum to 60 psi, 4.2 bar
    Temperature: 32° to 160°F /0° to 71°C
    Materials: Polypropylene
    Thumb latch: Polypropylene
    Valve spring: 316 stainless steel
    Panel mount gasket: EPDM
    External springs: 316 stainless steel
    O-rings: EPDM
    Color: Light gray with charcoal gray latch
    Tubing Range: 3/8" to 3/4"

2. NS6
    Main Components: Glass-filled polypropylene
    Coupling Size: 3/8"
    Pressure: Vacuum to 120 psi, 8.3 bar
    Temperature: 32° to 160°F /0° to 71°C
    Materials:Glass-filled, polypropylene
    Thumb latch: Glass-filled, polypropylene
    Valve spring:(wetted) : 316 stainless steel
    Panel Mount Gasket: EPDM, FKM
    External springs: 316 stainless steel
    O-rings: EPDM or FKM
    Hastelloy C External spring: 316 Stainless Steel
    Soft touch overmold: TPV (thermoplastic vulcanizate)
    Color: Gray with dark gray overmold standard (gray with red or blue overmold available)
    Lubricants: Krytox PFPE (inert)
    Spillage: ~0.03 cc/disconnect @ 0psi, ~0.30 cc/disconnect @ 120psi
    Tubing Range: 3/8" and 1/2" (9.5mm to 12.7mm)

Does "glass filled" matter at all?
    Does barb size matter when the couplings are the same size diameter?
    Is Cv an accurate measurement with our lower flow rates?
    Are 2 of these too much restriction for 1 loop!
    Last edited by hotdun; 08-21-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Xtreme Member
    See here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...9&postcount=32

Using them on my radbox, no flow issues here!

HTH
    J

Xtreme Member
    I have a couple of the NS6 series - they're huge. So big they didn't fit the application i intended
    Rig 1: Intel i7 2600K | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600 C8 | Asus GTX 580 | 1x Corsair F3 240GB | 1x WD 1TB Black | Asus Xonar D2X | Silverstone TJ07 | BigNG | Corsair HX1000 | Corsair A50 |

Rig 2: Intel QX6700 | Asus Maximus II Formula | 8GB Corsair DDR2 |HIS 4870 1GB | 3x 500GB F1 RAID0 | X-FI Fatal1ty | CM-690 II |Corsair HX750 | Corsair A50 |

Rig 3: Intel E6850 @ 3.6GHz Fuzion V2| Asus Maximus Extreme | Full EK NB/SB/Fets | 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1800| EVGA 8800GTX KO EKFC8800GTX |2x WD640GB RAID0 | Laing DDC3.2 w/Petra top | 120.2 BIX | 120.2 BIS | EK 150 Res | BigNG | X-Fi Fatal1ty | Akasa Eclipse |

| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 on all |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm leaning towards the NS6 because of the Cv values in the screenshot above. It looks like the higher the Cv value, the better the flow. Both of these fittings are priced similarly. Anyone else using these babies?

So I guess a question would be, does the stated Cv value really come into play with the low flow rates we have?
    Last edited by hotdun; 08-22-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Glass filled plastics are somewhat similar to fiberglass composites, except with a plastic resin instead of a polyester or epoxy based one.

They are much more mechanically stable, but are also more brittle than standard plastics. Kind of a tossup.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    ...They are much more mechanically stable, but are also more brittle than standard plastics. Kind of a tossup.
    What do you mean by mechanically stable? Sturdier? BTW, I just ordered 2 of your MCR320 Rad grills for this radbox build. They are brilliant....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have the NS6 for 1/2" here, and they're great, but hey're very big as well. They don't drip when you open them.

I also have the much smaller APC series which is also popular, but it only goes up to 3/8" and it does drip a little bit when opening (just hold a towel below it when opening, it's not really a big problem).

Both are very high-flow, from a pure flow standpoint you don't really need to go with the NS6.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, those are pretty cool barbs. Never thought of quick disconnects before.

*Off Topic: hotdun if my mom ever saw your avatar.. I probably wouldn't be able to use my computer all night.

She's a big Tom Selleck fan.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdun View Post
    What do you mean by mechanically stable? Sturdier? BTW, I just ordered 2 of your MCR320 Rad grills for this radbox build. They are brilliant....
    Some unfilled plastics can deform over time, especially when under pressure from things like hose clamps. Some plastics such as acetal (delrin) are very stable by themselves, while others such as polyethylene are not. Polypropylene is kinda in the middle.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleTECH View Post
    *Off Topic: hotdun if my mom ever saw your avatar..
    Your Mom is a smart lady. Magnum PI was the best show on TV ever, hands down. I heard Matthew Mcconaughey's playing in him in the Magnum movie....

Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    Some unfilled plastics can deform over time...
    Thanks again iandh, I gotcha now. I'll probably use these for as long as I water cool so....

Can anyone concur on the Cv values and their relationship to flow, especially when it comes to out lower flowing systems? Martin.......anyone......Bueller?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
    ....I can tell you that I saw absolutley no temp increase...
    Sweet, thanks man. With a block like the EK, I suppose you would see temp increase fast with more restriction in the loop. I found this on the Cv value btw:
    ============================
    The flow coefficient - Cv - lets us compare flow capacities of valves at different sizes, types and manufacturers.

The flow coefficient is in general determined experimentally and express the flow capacity in imperial units - GPM (US gallons per minute) of water that a valve will pass for a pressure drop of 1 lb/in2 (psi).

The flow factor - Kv - is also in common use, but express the capacity in SI-units.

The flow coefficient - Cv - required for a specific application can be estimated by using specific formulas for the different fluids or gases. With the estimated Cv value - the correct valve can be selected from the manufacturers catalogues.

Flow Coefficient - Cv - for Liquids
    For liquids the flow coefficient - Cv - expresses the flow capacity in gallons per minute (GPM) of 60F water with a pressure drop of 1 psi (lb/in2).

Flow expressed by volume
    Cv = q (SG / dp)1/2 (1)

where

q = water flow (US gallons per minute)
    SG = specific gravity (1 for water)
    dp = pressure drop (psi)

============================

Cv Calculator