Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista OEM vs. Retail

Windows Vista OEM vs. Retail

So I have a 4870X2 and a V2400W in transit to me. I also own a copy of Windows XP Professional 32-bit and 64-bit, as well as Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I want to use Vista Ultimate 64-bit so that I can fully utilize my 4GB of RAM as well as DX10. As a person who does custom builds, I will naturally have to do clean reinstalls of Windows periodically, though the copy of Windows will only ever be on one machine at a time. Given this information, I am hoping some of you can shed light onto the following questions.

What is my best (and preferably cheapest) solution to get Vista Ultimate 64-bit? I see that the OEM DVD on Newegg is cheaper, but it says it is for system builders only (which I can qualify for), but the whole 1 install thing I hear about has me worried. Would I not be allowed to reinstall Windows on any new builds, even if that Windows OEM version would only ever be installed on one computer at a time?

Assuming the OEM option isn't viable, the next cheapest solution is to get the Upgrade option from Microsoft. What are my limitations by using the Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Upgrade version? I can apparently only buy it from the Microsoft website, but it's still cheaper than the full retail version of Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by stargate125645; 08-21-2008 at 06:48 AM.

I should add that I would like to purcahse my Vista copy ASAP since everything else will be arriving shortly. In fact, the 4870X2 just arrived here at work!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
    So I have a 4870X2 and a V2400W in transit to me. I also own a copy of Windows XP Professional 32-bit and 64-bit, as well as Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I want to use Vista Ultimate 64-bit so that I can fully utilize my 4GB of RAM as well as DX10. As a person who does custom builds, I will naturally have to do clean reinstalls of Windows periodically, though the copy of Windows will only ever be on one machine at a time. Given this information, I am hoping some of you can shed light onto the following questions.

What is my best (and preferably cheapest) solution to get Vista Ultimate 64-bit? I see that the OEM DVD on Newegg is cheaper, but it says it is for system builders only (which I can qualify for), but the whole 1 install thing I hear about has me worried. Would I not be allowed to reinstall Windows on any new builds, even if that Windows OEM version would only ever be installed on one computer at a time?

Assuming the OEM option isn't viable, the next cheapest solution is to get the Upgrade option from Microsoft. What are my limitations by using the Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Upgrade version? I can apparently only buy it from the Microsoft website, but it's still cheaper than the full retail version of Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Thanks in advance!
    I can't help you as far as limitations for the upgrade, but i personally just recently bought the OEM Vista 64 bit from newegg.

I would think you can install it on multiple systems.

The DVD can't tell if its being installed on another system. But you are only allowed ONE activation. meaning if today, you decided to install vista64 on Computer1, but then later you want to trash Computer1 and install vista64 on Computer2, then you will need to actually call microsoft, and tell them you are installing on a new compy and revalidate ur activation. Then install on Computer2.
    - It took God 7 days to create earth because he was rendering with Radiosity, Raytraced Shadows and Caustics.

Quote Originally Posted by milkmandan View Post
    I can't help you as far as limitations for the upgrade, but i personally just recently bought the OEM Vista 64 bit from newegg.

I would think you can install it on multiple systems.

The DVD can't tell if its being installed on another system. But you are only allowed ONE activation. meaning if today, you decided to install vista64 on Computer1, but then later you want to trash Computer1 and install vista64 on Computer2, then you will need to actually call microsoft, and tell them you are installing on a new compy and revalidate ur activation. Then install on Computer2.
    It's effectively the same computer I'd be installing it on anyway; it will just have upgraded components.

So in other words, as long as I only install it on one computer at a time the OEM version will work for me for as long as I need to use it? I'd just have to call Microsoft to reactivate it online if I do a reinstall? If so, I can live with that for $100 off the retail version.

retail and OEM/OEi are the same, retail has a box and has the same license as OEI, OEM is the same but its not transferable to a new user (so u cant sell it), u will probly want biz x64 OEI. i have never had to call MS for vista ive installed it about 15 times and changed from x86 to x64 then from a 939 single core to a core2 and i had no problems

also never buy an upgrade they are dirty installs and dont let u change hardware
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    retail and OEM/OEi are the same, retail has a box and has the same license as OEI, OEM is the same but its not transferable to a new user (so u cant sell it), u will probly want biz x64 OEI. i have never had to call MS for vista ive installed it about 15 times and changed from x86 to x64 then from a 939 single core to a core2 and i had no problems

also never buy an upgrade they are dirty installs and dont let u change hardware
    Why Vista Business?

Thanks for the help you guys!

biz has the networking tools and user control and the same hardware restrictions as ulti, but has no media center or bitlocker so its the cleanest out of the box and there is like a +$10 difference from HP
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

biz has the networking tools and user control and the same hardware restrictions as ulti, but has no media center or bitlocker so its the cleanest out of the box and there is like a +$10 difference from HP
    I am unfamiliar with bitlocker... Upon looking up information about it, it seems that one can disable it so is it a nuissance even when disabled? Also, does no Media Center mean no Windows Media Player? That is currently what I use to play my music collection, and I don't want to have to buy it separately.

By HP do you mean Hewlit-Packard? Is there some particular reason I should buy Vista 64-bit from HP? On newegg Vista Business is $40 cheaper (Business = $140, Ultimate = $180).
    Last edited by stargate125645; 08-21-2008 at 12:44 PM.

media center is not WMP, its a tv player like thing, but its broken. and bitlocker is worthless it cant properly secure anything and can be used with a trusted platform chip to lock u out of your own computer

Xtreme Member
    Ok look.

I have HOme Premium OEM 64bit.

I have re-installed multiple times on my computer, with motherboard changes aswell and i have activated each time fine no problems.

I had a windows XP disc which i installed probably 100 times, and then it said i have to call when i tried to activate it. So i called, gave my code and said its my first time, bang. Done. Activated.
    Intel Q6600 (Stock for now)
    Scythe Infinity
    XFX 680i LT
    OCZ 2 x 2GB Platinum DDR2 800
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    Ultra Aluminus
    Mushkin 650watt SLI
    Seagate 500gb
    Seagate 250gb
    DVD Rom/Burner

Quote Originally Posted by darkorb View Post
    Ok look.

I have HOme Premium OEM 64bit.

I have re-installed multiple times on my computer, with motherboard changes aswell and i have activated each time fine no problems.

I had a windows XP disc which i installed probably 100 times, and then it said i have to call when i tried to activate it. So i called, gave my code and said its my first time, bang. Done. Activated.
    So it looks like I'll be getting the cheaper OEM version for sure. Now I am just wondering if Ultimate is worth the $40 over Business.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Retail - full support from Microsoft
    OEM - support from original system vendor only

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Retail - full support from Microsoft
    OEM - support from original system vendor only
    I've had "support" from Microsoft before. It's not worth $100.

So, Vista Business or Vista Ultimate?

Also, I realized that my copy of Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 does not say 64-bit. However, upon searching I cannot find any 64-bit version of Office 2007. Does it exist, or is Office 2007 for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems?
    Last edited by stargate125645; 08-22-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Alrighty, upon doing further research I have decided to go with Vista Ultimate as it includes all the extras that Microsoft has released and does everything the "lesser" versions do, and $40 more isn't bad considering I'll use it for a couple years. So now I just need to find out about the whole 32-bit versus 64-bit versions of Office 2007 before I pull the trigger. I have Office Enterprise 2007 but I am just not sure if there is a specific version for 64-bit Windows, or if it works for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.

office works on x86 and x64, its not a driver so any 32bit app will work in 64bit, just not using 64bit

office works on x86 and x64, its not a driver so any 32bit app will work in 64bit, just not using 64bit
    Good to know. Thanks!

Your current Vista 32 bit key is good for vista 64 bit too you know. Same key, just different install DVD. If you don't have a 64 bit DVD you can get one from MS.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    You're also not supposed to sell OEM without hardware...

And an oem license cannot be transfered from one system to the other, legally...

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Data View Post
    You're also not supposed to sell OEM without hardware...

And an oem license cannot be transfered from one system to the other, legally...
    u can buy oem to go with a recently purchased system at the same place as u bought hardware (i dont remember the time frame)

read your terms and condition for vista, the following quotes are from the vista biz/ulti oem terms

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
    a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that device at one time. Except as provided in the Storage and Network Use sections below, you may not use the software on any other device.
    15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
    a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the software and install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between devices.
    so one at a time, so long as one device has it u are fine, ut only one licensed device per key

and under section 2
    c. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may use only one version at one time.
    u are also allowed unlimited virtual copies on that device
    3.f. Use with Virtualization Technologies. You may use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system. If you do so, you may not play or access content or use applications protected by any Microsoft digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other Microsoft rights management services or use BitLocker. We advise against playing or accessing content or using applications protected by other digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other rights management services or using full volume disk drive encryption.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 08-22-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Your current Vista 32 bit key is good for vista 64 bit too you know. Same key, just different install DVD. If you don't have a 64 bit DVD you can get one from MS.
    How? Vista Ultimate 64-bit is on its way, but I can return it if it is unopened.

if u have a 32bit key, u need a 64 disk then put the 32bit key in and then u are done

if u have a 32bit key, u need a 64 disk then put the 32bit key in and then u are done
    That doesn't tell me how to get a 64-bit disc legally.

call MS

call MS
    Call tech support? And tell them I have a copy of Vista 32-bit and would like one of Vista 64-bit? I assume they'll at least ask for a key?

Xtreme Member
    say you lost your disc for 64bit?
    Intel Q6600 (Stock for now)
    Scythe Infinity
    XFX 680i LT
    OCZ 2 x 2GB Platinum DDR2 800
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    Ultra Aluminus
    Mushkin 650watt SLI
    Seagate 500gb
    Seagate 250gb
    DVD Rom/Burner