Thread: PS raw vs everything else - wierd....

I am Xtreme

PS raw vs everything else - wierd....

why is photoshop doing this?
    the image on the RIGHT is exactly how i shot it.
    i was using KEvin Wangs Canon Styles "300" - meant to give the look of the movie 300 (but requires proper lighting as in low light as it blows out any bright lights.)
    but when i open it in photoshop raw editor... well.. i get the image on the LEFT.

by the way the image on the right is directly out of the camera... pure 100% raw, that is how the camera shot the picture.

so wtf!?

what setting do i have wrong in PS to make it remove the style set the camera used.

how the heck is infranview showing the raw image properly and ps is not?

canon digital photo professional shows it properly also.

Last edited by Lestat; 02-01-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    PS is ignoring your styles.. tough, would need bit investigating to find where is "off switch".
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Guru
    It's Camera RAW that's "doing" that. Not Photoshop. Camera RAW doesn't process embedded profiles. You need the color profile configured in Camera RAW as well.
    The image on the right isn't 100% RAW if there is some type of color styling applied. The image on the left is 100% RAW.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

I am Xtreme
    i have seen something in PS raw stuff about using the specific camera profile... hmmm gunna have to find it again.

but i find it hard to believe, and yet not hard to believe that PS camera RAW viewer is stripping the entire Canon Picture Style.

the left image isnt RAW either as its highly over saturated, so its not stripping everything,,,, i think the basic saturation and contrast and sharpness are retained, its all the other adjustments he made with the canon tools such as shadows, lights, etc etc.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Guru
    Well, keep in mind the RAW image you see in CR/PS is Camera RAW's interpretation of the RAW data. With these color styles; are they something you loaded to the camera via ROM or just a file loaded via SD/CF card? Either way it's possible that it's editing how the camera will output details such as saturation, exposure bias, contrast, sharpness and pretty much every other piece of data.

One other thing.. I noticed in Camera RAW you either shot as, or imported as Adobe RGB. Are you using Adobe RGB color space in the other applications as well?
    Last edited by itznfb; 02-03-2010 at 05:53 AM.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Addict
    Um, Camera RAW have some default settings for each known camera, which it boost automaticly, unless you switch it off (for example my previous got +25 contrast +50 brightness automaticly in LR or Camera RAW, plus some color changing).
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When you take a pic on your camera and view it on the camera's LCD, it is showing you a JPEG version of the RAW image with the creative style applied.
    When you open the same RAW on a RAW converter such as LR and ACR, it will default to Adobe Standard. Also if you notice in LR, it only gives you the default Canon Styles.
    It's basically totally disregarding any kind of creative style because it is a RAW file.
    Shoot RAW+JPEG and you'll see what I mean. The JPEG will retain the creative style and the RAW will be just RAW.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    Um, Camera RAW have some default settings for each known camera, which it boost automaticly, unless you switch it off (for example my previous got +25 contrast +50 brightness automaticly in LR or Camera RAW, plus some color changing).
    ya i think LR does that for any RAW image, if you zero the image then it will be true RAW
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster