Thread: How to Install Dual 6.22 mpich on a Quad-Windows

Threaded View

Attack Dachshund

How to Install Dual 6.22 mpich on a Quad-Windows

This is just how I set my dual smps up in Vista 64 if it helps anyone with theirs...

HOW I DUAL SMP IN WINDOWS (Vista in this example): (6 steps)
    Download affinity changer, either 32 bit or 64 bit depending on your os. http://distributed.org.ua/forum/inde...showtopic=1149
    and install it. the service will start at the end, and will start with windows from now on. DONE.
    note: if xp, make sure you have net framework 2 like the link instructions state...

dl 6.23 mpich in a temp dir http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...-SMP-mpich.exe
    and install it in 2 different directories (it's best not to put it in C:\Programs because of Vista's security, so pick another dir)
    like:
    C:\smp1
    C:\smp2

Copy shortcuts of "install.bat" and "Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe" to your desktop and rename them...
    for my example I used

shortcut name = Loginx for install.bat
    shortcut name = smpx for Win32-x86.exe

then right click-properties of both smpx shortcuts and add the flags (-smp -local) to them. as illustrated.

Before launching smpx shortcuts, launch both install.bats (loginx) to get "mpi is working" twice for both directories..
    You must use a windows admin with a password for this, if you don't have one with a password, create it now...
    Turn UAC off in Vista.
    in my example here, I created a windows admin user X with password X. it makes it easy to login to mpi (install.bat), just tap x-enter x-enter x-enter, and you get "mpi is working".
    a short username and password for this admin windows user that does nothing but login to mpi is a little shortcut to help making launching smp easier.

now you can launch the clients with the smpx shortcuts, the first time you launch it will ask you too config.
    fill in your username and team.
    answer YES to advanced config, and make the first client machine id=1, and the second client machine id=2...
    the rest are your call, I just use the default on all except machine id...

The client should start working and processing it's first work unit now.
    (if you need to reconfigure at a future date, just delete the client.cfg file from your install directory, and the next time you launch the client it will run through these questions again).

6. I always restart windows to close the client to ensure it saves the work progress. You can use ctrl-C to close the client, but I've found it sometimes loses the work on client restart. so for me, rebooting windows with the start button is a safer way of stopping the client to save work if I need to stop them. smp is finicky in this way, go figure..

anyway, from now on you can just launch the smpx shortcuts and the client will authenticate mpi on it's own and start on it's own. there is no need to run the install.bat/login shortcuts anymore. the client will start mpi on it's own as long as you ran install.bat that first time. and immediately start working on a wu.

7. you may now put these 2 smpx shortcuts in your START MENU -STARTUP folder if you would like to auto launch the clients at windows start.
    Last edited by MikeB12; 03-23-2009 at 03:50 AM.