Thread: Where is Everyone?

I am Addicted!

Where is Everyone?

Ever since I noticed the big boys move over to the grid; it has been so quiet in here; I thought we were in the Library

Anyways, just wondering what happened to the team here.

I am currently thinking of either getting more GPU's or another rig including GPU.
    I want to try and up my production across the board as I am currently running WCG, GPUGrid, & F@H.
    With MC selling I7's@$200; makes me want to build another rig. Too many toys to buy and not enough dough to play with. My Birthday is coming up in a few weeks so I am thinking of buying myself a few parts for my present to myself

Other than this I have been extremely busy at work; so I havent much time to do stuff on the forum.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeees, with some heavy hitters we've also lost some of the more talkative, inventive and fun FAH people, that's why it's so silent. I blame WCG for it, it's too compelling not to have problems with the project one is running.

Nice to hear you're thinking of adding some more jato rockets to the cause. Just yesterday I've received my PCIe extensions from performance-pcs, so I put in two GTX275. But my darn case is too small, they're running 94°C...
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Damn WCG people....What the heck are they thinking over there. Bunch of weed-smoking Berkley dudes...

OK, in light of that, and mainly due to Sparky's other post, I'm going to kick in a few more 260-216s here as soon as I acquire them. I'm going to try to price match at Fry's tomorrow, with a price I got in another thread.

I was going to do this anyway, it was just a question of finding the cards I want, at the price I want.

If that happens, and the current PNW heat wave moves off. I'll bring them on-line.

Regards,
    A weed smoking dude from Berkley......
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Addict
    Cooooooooooool... more GPUs.... that's awesome of you, Berkley duuude...

Btw, I've seen the GPU thread over at WCG, it seems not too far away until WCG gets CUDA project wide. Oh noes, not that we loose the GPU people also by then!!!
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well, for myself, my main rig blew a mobo, so I've been essentially offline for almost 3 weeks. That's fixed now, so I'm BAAAACK.

My production is way off too, with my most of my GPU horsepower offline, with the main rig being down and my folding rig being used for more blu ray encoding

Hopefully this will be remedied starting now. I must go over to the penalty thread and penalize myself liberally.

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    I blame WCG for it, it's too compelling not to have problems with the project one is running.
    That is what I like about it, I will get a few cards back over here as soon as it cools of a little bit. I miss complaining about stanford and the folding forums I have done it so long. Just does not seem right with everything working and no problems...

I am Addicted!
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    Yeees, with some heavy hitters we've also lost some of the more talkative, inventive and fun FAH people, that's why it's so silent. I blame WCG for it, it's too compelling not to have problems with the project one is running.

I blame WCG/ GPUGrid as I have to confess; I am over there a lot too and running both projescts as well.

Nice to hear you're thinking of adding some more jato rockets to the cause. Just yesterday I've received my PCIe extensions from performance-pcs, so I put in two GTX275. But my darn case is too small, they're running 94°C...
    Yes, I just have to decide on either more 275's or go with 260's this time I can get 275's for $195 after rebate/CB or 260s for $140 after rebate/CB; so its a toss up.
    I also want to add anothe I7 rig for WCG, especially with I7 920 for $200

Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    Damn WCG people....What the heck are they thinking over there. Bunch of weed-smoking Berkley dudes...

OK, in light of that, and mainly due to Sparky's other post, I'm going to kick in a few more 260-216s here as soon as I acquire them.
    I'm going to try to price match at Fry's tomorrow, with a price I got in another thread.

I was going to do this anyway, it was just a question of finding the cards I want, at the price I want.

If that happens, and the current PNW heat wave moves off. I'll bring them on-line.

Regards,
    A weed smoking dude from Berkley......
    Gotta watch them guys....but I dont get to play with Mary-Jane, will lose my job; we have random UA's, plus MJ puts me to sleep
    Wish I could add 6 more cards; in time, plus i cant afford to run or cool as many rigs as you have, but we all appreciate your dedication

Quote Originally Posted by coo-coo-clocker View Post
    Well, for myself, my main rig blew a mobo, so I've been essentially offline for almost 3 weeks. That's fixed now, so I'm BAAAACK.

My production is way off too, with my most of my GPU horsepower offline, with the main rig being down and my folding rig being used for more blu ray encoding

Hopefully this will be remedied starting now. I must go over to the penalty thread and penalize myself liberally.
    Sorry to hear about your temporary loss, but glad to see you back

As for my daily update, I am trying to tell myself to hold off on another card as i have other things i want to do, but my B-day is coming up and I want to add more to my contributions.
    My F@H production is way down even though I am still in the top 14 for the team.

I am generating decent production on WCG and gpu grid, but as everyone else's addiction I always want to add more, even though the wife doesnt see DC like I do.

Summer is partly to blame because of the heat. I've heard that GPUgrid doesn't make the cards as hot? Maybe it doesn't run them as close to their full potential, or maybe stanford's coding just sucks

I'd LOVE to have stuff run 24/7 but the internet is off ~8 hours at night, so once my machines are done with their current units they sit and wait for hours at a time Working on that....

Anyway, I'm keeping my eyes open. Depending on what happens, if I get this job I interviewed for, I'd really like to throw another gtx260-216 on here. That may go hand-in-hand with a quad for WCG. Will depend on the job and the money and all that fun stuff.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    That is what I like about it, I will get a few cards back over here as soon as it cools of a little bit. I miss complaining about stanford and the folding forums I have done it so long. Just does not seem right with everything working and no problems...
    I feel the same way But i was complaining a lot on the Gpugrid got that problem solved so now what

I am Addicted!
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Summer is partly to blame because of the heat. I've heard that GPUgrid doesn't make the cards as hot? Maybe it doesn't run them as close to their full potential, or maybe stanford's coding just sucks

I'd LOVE to have stuff run 24/7 but the internet is off ~8 hours at night, so once my machines are done with their current units they sit and wait for hours at a time Working on that....

Anyway, I'm keeping my eyes open. Depending on what happens, if I get this job I interviewed for, I'd really like to throw another gtx260-216 on here. That may go hand-in-hand with a quad for WCG. Will depend on the job and the money and all that fun stuff.
    I hope it works out for you
    I do know I need more cards cause you have now caught up to me; I need to leave you behind again

I hope to have another rig or 2 by the end of the year, but will probably try to fill all my current slots first; of course GTX 300 cards are around the corner too; will see how those do and what price point they come in at; I do not like to spend more than $200 on a card; closer to $100 is even better. May have to move down to the GTX 260's as they are pushing the $130 mark w/deals

Xtreme Member

More worries

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I hope it works out for you
    I do know I need more cards cause you have now caught up to me; I need to leave you behind again
    Look like you have more than SparkyJJO to worry about.
    If you do not get more in the game Johmen and p2501 will leave tread marks over you.

Hope you can get some more cards.
    I myself am looking at another GPU farm build.

Main
    IntelŪ Core i7 920
    ASUS Rampage II Extreme MB
    HD4870x2
    6G Crucial Ballistix PC3 10600
    2 WD VelociRaptor 300 (Raid 0)
    Danger Den Waterbox Plus
    Kookance waterblocks
    COOLMAX 950W PSU

I am Addicted!
    Quote Originally Posted by DR3 View Post
    Look like you have more than SparkyJJO to worry about.
    If you do not get more in the game Johmen and p2501 will leave tread marks over you.

Hope you can get some more cards.
    I myself am looking at another GPU farm build.
    I noticed some people appeared outta nowhere. If they get too close I will temporarily pull my other 3 275's off the grid to tease them till I can get another card.

I will definately be adding 1 more card this month; hopefully 2

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post

Sparky if you need those I got from you back let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    Sparky if you need those I got from you back let me know...
    Thanks. But no rigs to put them in right now.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64