Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bolt-on RAM/VRM sinks for 4850/4870?

Hybrid View

Bolt-on RAM/VRM sinks for 4850/4870?

Well, it has been over a month past the time that iandh said his 4850/4870 sinks should be available and there's nary a sign of them in the usual shops (Sidewinder, Petras, etc). Is any other source planning on making bolt-on ram/vrm sinks for the 4850 or 4870? D-Tek Uni-Sink, perhaps?
    Last edited by Creig; 08-20-2008 at 06:48 PM.

I just ordered a 4870 recently, it is on its way. I'm waiting for iandh's sinks at this point
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    made it my self:

just need a little polishing n anodized it maybe.

Last edited by Boyu; 08-26-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Those don't look nearly big enough for the vrms but i'm not gonna count them out until I see results.
    **Georgia Tech Grad, I am an Electrical Engineer with a specialization in RF IC design and Analog circuits.**

Intel I7 3770K Delidded
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
    2x4gb Gskill 7-8-7-16
    EVGA GTX680 Signature OC
    Crucial M4 256gb
    Seasonic X-750
    Watercooling Loop: Raystorm Acetal, EK GTX580 Full Cover, MCR420, MCR320, MCP35X2 & 7 x AP-15 Gentle Typhoons

Heatware: gte460z

Xtreme Addict
    OMG WOW lol when b/c i need them now!

EDIT

NVM ordering now!

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm nice. Me likey the red .

I must say though,

Full-cover.....FTW!

Banned
    $40? Srsly.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by roofsniper View Post
    nice those look good i might order some. hope they perform well.
    Quote Originally Posted by babalouj View Post
    Those don't look nearly big enough for the vrms but i'm not gonna count them out until I see results.
    I've been testing them for several weeks on two different 4870's. So far the highest VRM temp I've measured is 90C, which is not abnormal. I've seen temps in the 80-90 range on 8800GT's even.

edit: FYI one card is using an Accelero S1 with a Yate SL running full speed (haha sleeve bearing already starting to go out , and the other card was running with an MCW60 and two front mounted stock Lian Li fans running undervolted at 1100RPM). Bottom line is that in both cases the card had good airflow.

That said, good case airflow is a must with this card, regardless of what cooling you use on it. The sinks could be gigantic and the VRM's would still overheat in a case with poor airflow. Even high surface area forged copper sinks like the swiftech/enzo's are no more effective than a square block of copper when you are not moving air through the pins. They actually will radiate into each other, reducing the effective surface area. That is why the fins are so widely spaced on my sinks... too high of a fin density and you can actually lose effective surface area.

Quote Originally Posted by Omastar View Post
    $40? Srsly.
    That's what the last few models have sold for as well. It's just the cost of having them made entirely in the USA, entirely in California for that matter, and the cost of business here is higher than other states. The benefit though is that I am able to be directly involved in production. The shop I have these made at actually is making these under their normal hourly rate... also, although they sell fairly well they aren't exactly what I would call a high volume item.
    Last edited by iandh; 08-26-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Mentor
    Do you make them for the 4850? And do they come in blue, FTW?

Utnorris
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Do you make them for the 4850? And do they come in blue, FTW?

Utnorris
    Not yet... that one is still up in the air as we have had less demand for the 4850's. I have to move a certain amount of them or my shop doesn't even break even on the tooling cost.

Red is the only color we are doing at the moment, trying to keep the finishing cost down for the moment since we are not sure how these will sell yet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    That's what the last few models have sold for as well. It's just the cost of having them made entirely in the USA, entirely in California for that matter, and the cost of business here is higher than other states. The benefit though is that I am able to be directly involved in production. The shop I have these made at actually is making these under their normal hourly rate... also, although they sell fairly well they aren't exactly what I would call a high volume item.
    I know...I frequently debated whether or not investing $40 in a pretty much one time use RAMsink solution was worth it, or if just reusing the same EnzoTech sinks made more sense. I also figured it was a low volume item, but at $45 for an MCW60 and $40 for these, I could nearly buy an FC block...but that'd be an even worse fiscal decision. I admire the craftsmanship on these, for sure, but I'd like to see your sinks become a higher volume item, carried on more etailers and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Omastar View Post
    I know...I frequently debated whether or not investing $40 in a pretty much one time use RAMsink solution was worth it, or if just reusing the same EnzoTech sinks made more sense. I also figured it was a low volume item, but at $45 for an MCW60 and $40 for these, I could nearly buy an FC block...but that'd be an even worse fiscal decision. I admire the craftsmanship on these, for sure, but I'd like to see your sinks become a higher volume item, carried on more etailers and such.
    For me, I already had the MCW60 from a while ago when I first built my loop, so it worked out fine.
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    too little vrm hs, no ?
    The Devil's Reject

Quote Originally Posted by noobzed View Post
    too little vrm hs, no ?
    Yep, way too small vrm sink

DIY and just enought:
    Töttörööö

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pansuu View Post

DIY and just enought:
    What is that on the VRMs?

What is the dimension on that? Does anyone know if one of these would fit the way they are? http://www.jab-tech.com/ENZOTECH-MST...k-pr-4183.html

i7-2600k @ 4.8Ghz 1.38v L044A892
    ASUS P8P67 LGA
    16GB G.Skill Rip Jaws DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
    1/2" ID Masterkleer, Swiftech MCP-655, Thermochill PA120.3 Rad, XSPC Rasa, MCW-60
    Cooler Master UCP 1100 Watt PSU
    GTX 680 1300/7000
    Lian Li PC V-2000

Xtreme Addict
    Starting testing.

Ambient 26.7C, Idle temperature: VRM 48.7, MEM 44.3C

Ambient after test 26.5C

too little vrm hs, no ?

YES !! toooo little
    Intel Core2Duo E8400™@ 4050MHz (1,3V real in LOAD) >Prime stable< || eVGA 680i SLi A1 (P32) || all fans @ 5V
    silent wc system [D-Tek FuZion + GPU + NB + SB + HDD + DDC Ultra+AC top + MCR320QP + Trodas's res + 11/15 Tygon tubing]
    4x1024MB A-DATA Vitesta 800+ EE (D9GCT) @ 900MHz 4-4-4-8 (2,2V real) || 2x ASUS 8800GT 512MB SLI
    3x WD5000YS - 500GB + Samsung SP2004C-200GB || Samsung SH-S183A || 22" LCD Dell™ E228WFP
    Chieftec DA-01B-D - Bigtower || CORSAIR HX620|| Logitech Cordless MX + MX510 + MOMO Racing + DFP

I'll give a rundown how well they work when they arrive. If they end up being too small (which I doubt since iandh has used them no trouble so far) then I'll have to return them or something and get something else. But I'm not too worried since he's used them up to this point with no issues.
    The Cardboard Master

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    I'll give a rundown how well they work when they arrive. If they end up being too small (which I doubt since iandh has used them no trouble so far) then I'll have to return them or something and get something else. But I'm not too worried since he's used them up to this point with no issues.
    +1 Looking forward to see temps!
    There is more than meets the eye

Xtreme Addict
    too little vrm hs, no ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pansuu View Post

DIY and just enought:
    Quote Originally Posted by dymONE View Post
    YES !! toooo little
    I don't mean for this comment to sound rude, but did any of you read the thread up until this point?

They are only too small if you have poor case airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    If there is any trouble with the VRM sinks once these get out, I'll make a larger version and supply them for free to anyone that bought the sinks. I am already afraid that there will be problems because (1) People are pushing this already hot running card with benches like furmark that IMO they are not designed to handle, and (2) Everyone's definition of "good" airflow is different (3) For some reason some people seem to be getting absurdly hot running cards, while mine and other's are just "normal" hot. This could come back to the case airflow thing, or it could be due to bad VRM's... there was a thread about that a short while back.

I personally haven't had a single problem yet... I am typing on a system that is running one of the cards (the air cooled one) right at this moment. The watercooled system was sitting in much less airflow and I would run Crysis for hours on end on that system.

It isn't like I just randomly guessed, oh, I'll make these things stupidly tiny so that I fry everyone's cards. I made a prototype first, and it worked fine so I designed these from it. I don't want to fry my card, and I run these on it so take that as you may... keep in mind that I designed these and they were in production before all the VRM hotness hype/scare hit the internet. If I had designed them yesterday I would have made them gigantic just so I didn't have to hear it from anyone.
    Last edited by iandh; 08-27-2008 at 07:20 AM.

Not pretty, but seems to work

Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    I don't mean for this comment to sound rude, but did any of you read the thread up until this point?

They are only too small if you have poor case airflow.
    OK, you use turbines in your case..

Expensive piece of crap, that is all what i say about that product, sorry. Iv got about 80c in load and Zalman rpm is low. I can imagine what temps are in that.. And i dont want something superhyperturbinesound to just cool in my vga cards, or burn cards to broken. And sorry, i dont have any case

But of course i understand if you want to sell those..
    Töttörööö

Xtreme Addict
    Sinks were mounted with Arctic cooling ceramique. The thermocouple head was also dabbed in Ceramique to make sure that the readings I took were accurate. Tests were done at stock speed. I will conduct OC'ed tests when I get a chance, although as you will soon see there is plenty of headroom.

Sinks mounted

Fan is Low speed Yate loon (D12SL) run at full speed. There is no other airflow over the card in this particular case (Antec Sonata III). I consider this to be a very reasonable moderate cooling setup, hardly what I would call extreme.

Ambient at start of test

I let the card warm up for 30 minutes

Memory idle

VRM idle

Card temperature @ back of VRM's

Furmark for 12 minutes (temperature stabilized after 6-7 minutes, measured first at 12 minutes and then at 15 minutes, measured temperature variance will be listed for each)

Memory load +/- 1C

VRM load +/- 1C

Back of VRM temperature +/- 3C

Ambient after testing

I think the results pretty much speak for themselves.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah, the idea behind this is to reuse the old GPU only block so you will keep the costs down for each video card upgrade.
    I already bought the full cover from koolance, it is working really well BTW.
    The cost for a new watercooling user will be the same, since I bought the koolance block for $92 but you will save in the long run. The advantage on the full cover is a nicer and easier tubing routing and it is easy to set it for SLI or crossfire.
    My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

^^ hence why I'm not worried about it
    The Cardboard Master

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast