Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project: Monolith [56K Beware]

Xtreme Member

Project: Monolith [56K Beware]

Project: Monolith

The Premise
    Almost a year ago, I bought a Mountain Mods U2-UFO from our very own Philly_Boy. When I first saw it in person, my jaw dropped. This thing was monstrous! It seemed the epitome of case engineering. I also picked up some basic WC gear, and transferred my aging rig into this behemoth (Worklog). It hummed right along, but it's been over 2 years since I've upgraded the hardware. It's in dire need of a complete rebuild.

Something else which I wanted to change was the look of the UFO. Almost every Mountain Mods case I've seen looks strikingly similar. While the hardware inside is always impressive, and the case suited perfectly for WC, the face wasn't quite my cup of tea. Many cases have caught my eye over the past year, but I decided I wanted something to differentiate myself from the crowds. There's only one solution: modding. I am completely altering (more masking I suppose) the front panel of the U2-UFO. I want something more refined. Something simple. Something which set my case apart from the others I had seen. Project Monolith was born.

The Plan
    The top and right (PSU/5.25) side of the UFO would be simple black panels from Mountain Mods. No fans, no windows. Simply black. The panel for the motherboard (left) side of the case would be dark gray smoked acrylic. It has very low visibility without light behind it, so it almost looks like just another black panel. However, when the case is lit up, you should be able to see the internals perfectly.

The biggest change is to the front of the case. I ordered another plain black panel from MM and have created a facade for the front panel. I drilled mounting holes just like the ones the side panels are mounted with, mounted the plain black panel using 7/8" standoffs. The front of the case is now just a plain black panel, with enough space to allow for airflow to the front fans, among other things. I will be mounting two Vandal black delrin switches to the front panel. Mounted to the back of the facade will be a slot-loading slim optical drive, facing up. I'm really excited about this part, how sweet will it be to seemingly load your discs into the top of the case?

Lighting will be all white and controlled from a rocker switch on the rear of the case. There is going to be a gentle white glow radiating from the gap in between the facade and the front of the case, and LED clusters illuminating the internals.

The cooling system is of course being completely revamped. Time to do away with the ghastly/cliche blue fluid with green SmartCoils. I will be using black Tygon, and if necessary black tubing springs. The final loop setup is in the air, but the base components will be a PA120.3, FuZion V2, DDC-3.1, EK Res, and fullcover EK block.

The Hardware
    PC Components:
    ASUS Rampage Formula X48
    Sapphire 3870X2
    4GB (2x2GB) OCZ ReaperX DDR2 1000
    Intel Q6600 SLACR
    SeaSonic M12-700W
    Western Digital WD6400AAKS
    Panasonic UJ-85J Slimline Slot-Loading DVD Writer
    Razer AC-1 Sound Card

Cooling:
    Thermochill PA120.3
    DDC-3.1 w/ DDCT-01s
    DTek FuZion V2 w/ Quad Midplate
    EK FC3870X2 Nickel Plated
    EK MultiOption 250
    Tygon R3400 7/16" ID 9/16" OD
    Scythe S-FLEX D 800 RPM 120MM

Goals
    • Silent - The rig in my sig is humming along dead silent on air right now with 3 S-FLEX D's @ 12v. I plan on running 4-5 @ 7v
    • Fast - Obviously. Not the fastest rig around clearly, but it should handle pretty much anything I can throw at it
    • Stylish - Rising above and beyond the standard UFO setup as well as the typical lighting/color schemes
    • Learn a few things along the way

As it stands...

The Workspace

The Case

Questions
    1. Currently I'm debating between running just the PA120.3 to cool everything. However, I have the MCR220 from my first WC setup sitting around. What are your thoughts on adding this to the loop? It creates some airflow questions which I'll address in question 2.

2a. With the PA120.3 as the sole radiator, I would have 3 fans pulling through it and a single exhaust on the motherboard side. There would be no fans on the other side of the case save for the PSU fans. I assume this much positive pressure will be fine because I'm going to be using such low CFM fans?
    2b. If I do in fact add the MCR220 to the loop, would it be alright to have the three intake on the motherboard side and have two exhaust on the MCR220 be the only fans? Would positive pressure take care of removing the heat from motherboard components out of the back of the case?

3. Is there anywhere that has PA120.3 shrouds/gaskets in stock? These are impossible to find!

Short To-Do List
    1. Mount power/reset switches. Will be mounted vertically, at the top center of the facade. Will require to drill holes directly behind them on the front of the case because the power buttons on the stock UFO front are not actually centered like these will be.

2. Wire fans. Custom cable lengths, connectors, etc.

3. Wire lighting. Change molexes to 3-pin so I can dim them, wire to rocker switch, etc.

4. Wait for hardware.

The hardware should be arriving tomorrow, with most of the water cooling parts getting here early next week.

Have at it.
    Last edited by Istasi; 05-08-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    Hardware: Opteron 165 @ 2.5GHz | MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum | G.Skill 2GB Dual Channel | Powercolor X1900XT 512MB @ 722/810 | WD 7,200RPM 16MB Cache 250GB HDD | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Corsair HX620W | Antec P180 | Dell 2005FPW
    Cooling: Kingwin RVT-12025 | Thermaltake TMG AT1 | Scythe S-Flex D's | HR-05 SLI

Project: Monolith Worklog

Xtreme Member
    Day 1 in soldering was an exercise in fail. Wrong guage wire for 3-pin and the crimper is a piece of crap. I ended up scrapping the work I did.

Looks like the hardware won't be arriving tomorrow, UPS says they haven't even picked it up yet despite their estimated delivery date of 5/09.
    Last edited by Istasi; 05-08-2008 at 06:40 PM.
    Hardware: Opteron 165 @ 2.5GHz | MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum | G.Skill 2GB Dual Channel | Powercolor X1900XT 512MB @ 722/810 | WD 7,200RPM 16MB Cache 250GB HDD | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Corsair HX620W | Antec P180 | Dell 2005FPW
    Cooling: Kingwin RVT-12025 | Thermaltake TMG AT1 | Scythe S-Flex D's | HR-05 SLI

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Subscribed!
    Loonym...You are missed.

The element of one

Breathe me in
    Breathe me in

I disbelieve in separation. I close my eyes to see you.
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    I, I disbelieve separation. I close my eyes
    there's no escaping me
    In your heart in your soul. I perceive rejuvenation

Breathe me in. I am forever. Deep within I am eternal.

I will return to you. I am with you always. I will never turn away from you.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Subscribed!

Xtreme Member
    Wow that looks interesting. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Maybe think about doing (or having done) some air-brushing on the top / side panels?

I'll be looking forward to seeing a "unique" MM UFO case (I love mine, but they do tend to look all alike).

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the interest guys.

Any thoughts on the questions I had in the first post? I'm really debating whether or not to add that MCR220.
    Last edited by Istasi; 05-09-2008 at 06:09 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Istasi View Post
    Any thoughts on the questions I had in the first post? I'm really debating whether or not to add that MCR220.
    I'd add it. Even if it doesn't help, it certainly won't hurt.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] NetburstXE View Post
    I'd add it. Even if it doesn't help, it certainly won't hurt.
    +1

If you have the space, why not?!?
    Loonym...You are missed.

The element of one

Breathe me in
    Breathe me in

I disbelieve in separation. I close my eyes to see you.
    I, I disbelieve separation. I close my eyes
    there's no escaping me
    In your heart in your soul. I perceive rejuvenation

Breathe me in. I am forever. Deep within I am eternal.

I will return to you. I am with you always. I will never turn away from you.

Xtreme Member
    If I want to keep noise to a minimum though, the only fans I will have in the case are the three intake on the PA and the two exhaust on the MCR. Will mobo temps stay reasonable with no exhaust fan on the motherboard side?

Xtreme Member
    If you configure them right it should be fine on sound.

I'm running a PA120.3 (3 120mm fans), a PA120.2 (2 120mm fans), the 120mm case fan, and 4 80mm fans (currently using the 'diamond' pattern top).

Run everything at 'near-silent' levels. Got plenty of air-flow, temps are good, and the loudest part of the entire rig is the pumps (or maybe hdd...about the same)

Xtreme Member
    Alrighty, guess I'll throw the MCR220 into the mix. Might throw HR-09's and HR-05's onto the MOSFETs and NB/SB just to make sure they're cooled adequately in the low-airflow environment.

Everything should be arriving early next week. Over the weekend I'll mount the power buttons.

Xtreme Member
    Nice little surprise today...

What's this?

My package from SideWinder Computers showed up! Tygon R3400, DTek V2, and Scythe HDD Isolation Mount

The FuZion in all of its glory...

Xtreme Member
    Looking good so far ill be keeping a eye on this project.
    Double stacked Lian Li 343b Cube lifetime project!

Xtreme Member
    subscribed....its funny how your work space and the bed next to it is similar to my room.
    Cooler Master Haf X
    i5 3750k
    Asrock Xtreme 4
    660 Ti

Xtreme Member
    Lookie what we have here.

The crafstmanship and finish on the EK block is just top-notch.

More to come!

Xtreme Cruncher
    What model C2Q is that?

Xtreme Member
    Q6600, grabbed it for $200 at MicroCenter. From what I've read, its stepping is supposed to clock quite well so I've got my fingers crossed.

Xtreme Member
    IT LIVES!!!

Threw it together on stock cooling on my desk just to make sure nothing was DOA. Pics came out really blurry for some reason. Already tore it back down, but everything powered up fine, the mobo detected the HDD and optical, so all's well. PA120.3 should get here tomorrow so I can start planning out the loop.

I am Xtreme
    love new hardware

nice project mate
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Member
    Mo' stuff.

PA120.3

Got all of my Thermalright kit today. Time to gussy up this mobo.

The victim.

The offenders.

Stripped bare.

HR-09's installed.

Funny story. I was installing the HR-05 onto the NB, and it seemed awfully difficult to push the pushpins into place. I persevered, however, until *POP* one of the pins shot up and hit the ceiling. On the installation guide it showed washers in between the pushpin and mounting arm, so I naturally used those. Apparently that creates way too much force

Clearance between HR-05 and ReaperX's. Barely any. Had to use the 2nd and 4th slots.

First fan done w/ custom-length wires.

My high-tech fan testing station.

My friends are convinced I'm building a bomb.

Hopefully finish up the fans tomorrow and wire some of the lighting too. And if I find time to go out and grab some distilled, clean my WC components.

I am Xtreme
    very nice mate

i really like they look of all the thermalright hs's (more pics of the mobo with your ram in please)

look forward to updates

Xtreme Member
    Ask and you shall receive

I am Xtreme

cheers mate!!

Banned
    I love the Seasonic M12-700 PSU. I use the same. Single rail, 4 PCI-E plugs (SLI) and quiet.

Pictures are great, thanks for posting them. I like the consistent look of everything.

Holy skyscraper city! I would stick a TRUE on there and forget about water cooling!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast