Thread: 2 Fan Questions for my Old System

2 Fan Questions for my Old System

So I'm doing some work to upgrade my semi-old computer that I built about 4 years ago. It's an i875P system which was recently upgraded to a 3.4ghz P4 Expensive I mean Extreme Edition. I've started getting a bit tired of the noise that my Thermaltake Spark 7+ Xaser Edition puts out, even after I removed the fan grill and added bonded sealing washers (steel top, rubber bottom). I'd like to get a Zalman "flower" cooler, but I'm not sure which size I should get. I'm between the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED and the Zalman CNPS7500-Cu LED. The first of these is 109mm in diameter, and the other is 121mm. I've done all of the measurements and it looks like they will both fit without a problem. The main things I'm debating are noise, weight, and space (though it looks like this won't be a problem), and of course, performance. My cpu hit 63° a few days ago, which is much higher than I want. I'm starting to wonder now if the cooler wasn't seated well, or if I did a bad job of applying the OCZ Freeze Extreme. Anyways, which one do you think I should get is my first question?

My second question is much simpler . I have two 80mm blue-green UV LED fans in my case, and one of them has had 2 of the 3 LEDs die. Heck even one of the LEDs in my Antec TrueBlue 480 burned out. I wonder if somehow they got over-volted... Anyways, I'm thinking of replacing these fans with A.C.Ryan Blackfire4 fans of the same color (http://www.acryan.com/index.php?opti...d=19&Itemid=83) as they are rated quieter than most 80mm fans, the cables are sleeved, and the LEDs are on a seperate connection from the fan. I read reviews on these, and most seem good, but one of these reviews gave these fans the test of time, in which the reviewer experienced a high failure rate. If anyone has ever tried these fans, how are they and do they die quickly?

Somebody? Anybody?

Xtreme Addict
    your CPU isn't running hot at all, considering it's a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4. AC Ryan makes good fans. i've never owned any, but i have a friend that swears by them. he's had his for a couple years now and they all still work.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Well I'm thinking of upgrading my fan not only for the performance, but the noise as well. I have to admit, I was surprised how much of a difference taking off the grill made, but still, it's still loud, and the fact that my cpu is running that hot. I believe it's rated to 67° so I know I'm not in danger, but still, I really wouldn't mind cutting down a few degrees. One of those Zalmans would look nice in my system, I just don't know which size I should get (I don't know if the 110mm one would be an overkill).

Thanks for the information on the fans . I had a feeling the reviewer had a case of bad luck, but it never hurts to be sure (especially when you're 18 and not loaded with cash ). Here is the review by the way (the information on the failures is on the last page): http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.p..._led_120mm_fan. So far the only fan failures I've had in 4 years are the lighting issues I mentioned above (I really would've expceted the bearings to fail before the LEDs). All of my fans from Xoxide.com (some name brands, others not) are still turning strong after being on nearly all day, every day, since I built this system .

Why didn't I put this in the Air Cooling section?...