Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: $5000+ Build: Comments?

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah...2 4870 X2's should be driving a 30" monitor!
    RIG 1 (in progress):
    Core i7 920 @ 3GHz 1.17v (WIP) / EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI / Crucial D9JNL 3x2GB @ 1430 7-7-7-20 1T 1.65v
    Corsair HX1000 / EVGA GTX 295 SLI / X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY Pro / Samsung SyncMaster 245b 24" / MM H2GO
    2x X25-M 80GB (RAID0) + Caviar 500 GB / Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC1 Build 7100

RIG 2:
    E4500 @ 3.0 / Asus P5Q / 4x1 GB DDR2-667
    CoolerMaster Extreme Power / BFG 9800 GT OC / LG 22"
    Antec Ninehundred / Onboard Sound / TRUE / Vista 32

Xtreme Member
    If the PSU blows it could take something with it. As Tonucci and others said
    it can lead to a disaster.
    ASUS P5Q DELUXE
    Intel Q9450
    Mushkin 4GB
    Asus GTX260

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wait, you are the CTO????

I know nearly nothing compared to most on this site. I can tell you that you would not want to OC a office rig too much if you want it to be reliable and 24/7 stable. Without huge OC, WC is pointless. Cant wait to see pictures of this thing though.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
    Scary, isn't it?

I'll keep a close eye on the PSU. Thanks for the advice, everyone. Can't wait for the gear to arrive. Some parts should arrive tomorrow, the rest (GPU, RAM, SSD) won't arrive until the first week of September.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post

I know nearly nothing compared to most on this site. I can tell you that you would not want to OC a office rig too much if you want it to be reliable and 24/7 stable. Without huge OC, WC is pointless. Cant wait to see pictures of this thing though.
    overclocked rigs are very reliable if you do it right. you can even enable Speed Step on an overclocked rig as long as it isn't pushed to its limit. i've had C1E enabled on my computer for the past six months and it's totally stable. it idles at 2.6 GHz and loads at 4.0.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xMrBunglex View Post
    overclocked rigs are very reliable if you do it right. you can even enable Speed Step on an overclocked rig as long as it isn't pushed to its limit. i've had C1E enabled on my computer for the past six months and it's totally stable. it idles at 2.6 GHz and loads at 4.0.
    I would not want my Main work crunching rig to be anything less than 100% stable. A crash during a huge animation rendering would be lots of lost work. I would rather spend the extra money on stock clocked components that are fast instead of OCing to the same level. On my personal rig its a different story, but they are for very different jobs. I wish our CTO and IT department would buy us cool rigs like yours, but I can assure you that getting to be a 4 billion dollar company isnt done by spending twice as much as needed on a computer.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Addict
    maybe you just aren't a good overclocker. my computer doesn't crash. ever. i haven't rebooted it in two weeks and i thrash my rig all the time.
    My Videos
    GRID Demolition Derby * GRID Camaro vs. Mustang * Audiosurf - Speed Racer
    I Shot the Hosties * Slightly Stupid * Dump Truck

Intel Haswell 4770K * 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1866 CL9 * Asus Maximus VI Gene * Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition
    500GB Samsung 840 Series SSD + 2TB WD Raid Edition 3 magnetic * SilverStone Temjin case * Corsair TX750 PSU * Corsair H60 water cooler * Win7 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    HardOCP reviewed the Kingwin ABT-1220MA1S Mach 1 Power Supply:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

It did very well. If their 1k unit is based on the same build then it should be good too.

Seeing how unproven it was, I was skeptical. Not much tho, since it handled anand's full load testing.

Nice surprise

I still dont think its the best deal for the money, but i must reckon this superflower platform.

Here's part one of the shipment. Still missing RAM, only one 4870x2, BluRay burner and Dell monitor. Long weekend coming up!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    kb looks a bit out of place there.......
    | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | i7 2600K w/ Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS ENGTX580 DirectCU II |
    | 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | Corsair F60 60GB - Raid 0 | WD2001FASS | Silverstone FT-02 w/ Corsair 1200w PSU|

Quote Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
    kb looks a bit out of place there.......
    So true
    CPU: i7 920
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P
    Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLi
    Memory: G.Skill 6GB 3x 2GB kit 8-8-8-21
    Graphics: Asus GTX 580
    PSU: CM Real Power Pro 850W
    Case: CM Cosmos S
    HDD: 2x 150GB Raptor's & 3x 1 TB Samsung's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zero View Post
    Absolutely right.

I read the same thing - which is why I swapped it out with this:

ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Great choice of motherboard, it'll perform like a beast, the fusion water cooling is only a gimmick though. That water block is crap, and the water attachments to fit different tubing make it look even stupider, if it was me I'd just attach the extra air cooling attachments.
    Another word on this board, when you receive it take the entire fusion cooling system and replace the thermal grease with your favorite thermal paste. They don't place enough, and they use crappy thermal paste; which is a shame because it's an expensive RoG, its like the bentley of mobo's, but they still crap out on us!

Your system looks like a beast! Especially with the Cosmos S case, it's a beastly case straight up. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Chruschef; 08-26-2008 at 09:39 AM.
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef View Post
    Great choice of motherboard, it'll perform like a beast, the fusion water cooling is only a gimmick though. That water block is crap, and the water attachments to fit different tubing make it look even stupider, if it was me I'd just attach the extra air cooling attachments.
    Another word on this board, when you receive it take the entire fusion cooling system and replace the thermal grease with your favorite thermal paste. They don't place enough, and they use crappy thermal paste; which is a shame because it's an expensive RoG, its like the bentley of mobo's, but they still crap out on us!

Your system looks like a beast! Especially with the Cosmos S case, it's a beastly case straight up. Best of luck.
    Thanks for the advice, I'd looked it over and wouldn't have picked up on those points. So pull the copper off and lay down some real thermal. Check. I'll WC the QX9650 and air the rest, sound good?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sounds pretty pro to me, I'd also bookmark this page http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...highlight=3oh6 , the official rampage extreme forum.. Any problems can probably be answered in there.
    "fightoffyourdemons"

(o.O)
    I have the dell 2408WFP. It's a great display, you will not be disappointed by how vista looks on it... i can't help you with how it performs though
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

The build is in process.

There just isn't enough time to get it all done. Family, job, family, sleep...

Finally. I'm getting to put this beast together. It's been *torture* having all this gear laying around and not being able to play with it. It's all out in the workshop and I'm going to start on it this weekend with a build log.

Having had a chance to review it all, I was especially interested in looking over the WC kit from Swiftech. I can see now, why all the suggestions came in to build 'custom'. But, that's the price you pay for not having done any WC before - I needed to see it, now I have, I know what I will do differently.

In the Cosmos S, I can go with a 3x res, not the 2x the kit came with. The CPU block is, meh.. I will likely pick up a GTX or research another option. And the res is really weak, don't care for it at all and will likely build my own when I do my Nehalem build. WC is hairy the first time, but I'm tackling the loops tonight - beginning with a nice isopropyl bath for the gear. I'm also going to reverse the flow of the case fans because; a- hot air rises, silly place for a rad to be. b- I'm in-taking from the top with my rad internal, drawing cooler air in from the dop and blowing it out the bottom and side. The 3x 120's will push 240+ CFM's (give or take) and the rest will draw out roughly that much - exluding the 120 on the HD's which is intake.

As with all CM cases I've tried, I'm impressed with the Cosmos S. There's *piles* of little details to get lost in, lots of helpful additions and little things that inexperienced builders like myself would encounter - they have already addressed.

NewEgg has been a complete pleasure to work with, as usual. One of the HD4870x2's was bad and it's been RMA'd. I was last told they were out of stock (again) but I expect it soon.

There are a ton of little parts I've had to pick up, fans I've played with, a seriously powerful Dremel, lots of clips, sleeving, UV crap, etc etc.. but I think it's all there now. *Yeah right*

This is a lot of fun and I'm excited to finally tackle this beast over the weekend. Look forward to updates - and benches.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zero View Post
    The build is in process.

WC before - I needed to see it, now I have, I know what I will do differently.

In the Cosmos S, I can go with a 3x res, not the 2x the kit came with. The CPU block is, meh.. I will likely pick up a GTX or research another option. And the res is really weak, don't care for it at all and will likely build my own when I do my Nehalem build. WC is hairy the first time, but I'm tackling the loops tonight - beginning with a nice isopropyl bath for the gear.

A - If you had just listened to us we could have told you the exact best parts to buy individually, dont be so ingrained to seeing it for yourself, youll save some money

B- you don't want an apogee gtx, you want a GTZ or a Fuzion v2

C - Do not do this, its not good for the blocks. if you must clean them clean them with ketchup, put the kethcup on the block, leave for 1-2 minutes, wipe off. do NOT leave the ketchup on for more than 2 minutes.

all the rest sounds good, good luck with it all

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why didnt you buy skulltrail?
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by pcaddict View Post
    Why didnt you buy skulltrail?
    ... cuz skulltrail is junk for performance and a total failure of an original concept

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think its awesome board, and I like it very much.
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

I think its awesome board, and I like it very much.
    ur not gaming on it, i bet that u have it for a render box or doing workstation crunching. thats far different from gaming were its all about memory and IO bandwidth
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I thought Captain_Zero is building workstation..

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Evil View Post
    more money than sense?
    +1
    I'd start by ditching the GB board and grabbing an x38, either DFI or Asus in that order. Also the dominator RAM isn't needed, get something cheaper like G.Skill or maybe Crucial. Don't buy the extreme CPU since you're going to OC (or why buy a swiftech kit) buy the Q9550 instead. You'll need a quality PSU -- try the PPC 860 model (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703013) for about the same price as that no-name PSU.

Purchase dual 4870's or two 4870x2 and CF them.

Finally DO NOT BUY the samsung SSD, instead if you must have SSD buy the OCZ Core SSD drives for a fraction of the price @ nearly same performance point.

This is now almost twice the rig at same or lower price point.

EDIT: nevermind, I see this is in progress and you've changed to better parts. Best of luck.
    Last edited by Vinas; 09-13-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

I thought Captain_Zero is building workstation..
    i thought gaming since he didnt opt for the ECC ram
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

We don't call it "gaming" at the office, it's "Crysis Management".

Anyway, here's the buildlog.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/...d.php?t=201512

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast