Thread: Dust Cleaner Sprays, Air Pressure Cans, Do they work? Do they HARM hardware?

Xtreme Mentor

Dust Cleaner Sprays, Air Pressure Cans, Do they work? Do they HARM hardware?

Hi

Just wanted to know real quick, do those dus cleaners (spray cans) for hardware and electronics actually work and dont damage your hardware?

I would like to know this because Im about to install water cooling on my PC and since I have to almost reinstall everything, I would like to clean my hardware from the dust it has collected this months, however, I dont want to damage them neither.

I saw a pack of six cans on costco, it seemed ok, but wanted to get some opinions from people who have tried them already before I run the risk.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No they don't damage it! However, if you spray them with the can upside down, the liquid may come out and trust me, its pretty damn cold! Just try not to get it onto whatever you're spraying.
    i7 860 @ 4.2Ghz | ASUS Maximus III Formula | 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 | ATi 5970 | 3x WD Raptor X HDD's | NZXT Khaos Case | Corsair 1000w PSU | Swiftech H20 Cooling CPU | Windows 7 x64 | Sony Bravia 52" LCD Display

3DMark06 Score - 20k Club | Youtube Account

c[_]
    dont hold them upside down or sideways, you will make condensation form on the hardware which will require time to dry off.

only thing to worry about with compressed air is water vapor from an improperly maintained system or holding the nozzle too close making the air pressure damage sensitive parts.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    There was a technician I use to work with, he would shake the can furiously when spraying. What an idiot.

And BTW do not spray it at other people My roommate left me a nasty burn on night while drunk. Still have the scar .

Xtreme Mentor
    Thx for the repplies
    So neither the air-pressure cans or dust-cleaners (liquids) will harm the hardware as long as I use them the right way. Thats great to hear (I need to clean my Striker II and 8800GT's ).

How long should I let the stuff dry? Is it instantly or should I wait a couple of mins?

c[_]
    You shouldnt have to let it dry at all if you use it right. There is no liquid if used properly.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Iron Within Iron Without
    I usually turn off all things and then spray the dust out of them. But from time to time i turn them upside down and use the methan [ or is it buthan ? ] For cleaning extremly messy parts, it works well , just don't do it wile the component is powered on. I'll leave it then be for like 15 ~ 20 minutes and power it on again
    Sony PS3 | Nintendo Wii + Nintendo Wii Fit

By Mercedes - Adventure Trips around Middle Europe in a Youngtimer | https://www.facebook.com/S.Mercedesem - Like Us, if you Like us that is

Xtreme Mentor
    Ok, thanks everybody

Now time to clean lol