Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EK D5 X-TOP Testing Nav's Amateur Style

Xtreme Member

Talking EK D5 X-TOP Testing Nav's Amateur Style [Updated] Tested DDC with XSPC Top

Hi everyone,

I know Martin tested this before, but that was a prototype and results were disappointing to say the least.

I also know my equipment and testing skills are nowhere near Martin's, but I shall try my best with what I had.

Tools
    Swiftech Microres
    Many Bitspower 1/2" barbs
    2 Bitspower 1/2" "stubby" barbs (on flowmeter)
    EK D5 X top (DUH)
    Swiftech MCP655 Vario Pump
    Tygon Tubings
    Koolance Coolant Flowmeter INS-FM16 (yes, Koolance! )
    Koolance Flowmeter Power Adapter (yes, Koolance again! )
    Scythe Kaze Master (Silver)
    Hose Plugs

First, pictures of the setup!

Koolance Coolant Flowmeter (Bling Bling!)

Koolance Flowmeter Power Adapter

Scythe Kaze Master

Secondly, a brief explaination of the experiment

The Koolance Coolant Flowmeter is a 3/8"ID U-shaped channel. In a loop, thats bad, but in this case, useful!

The Flowmeter Power Adapter effectively allows me to do three things.
    1. Convert and output the flow meter's rpm signals into a 3rd party device "readable" rpm signal that is at the same time indicative of actual flow rate. 1rpm = 1ml/min

2. It also allows me to set the size of the tubings used. 1/4" or 3/8"-1/2" (1/2" is still considered 3/8" as the flow meter is effectively only 3/8")

3. Set the bling bling blue LEDs to ON, OFF or Sync with the RPM.
    Naturally, I chose to sync

The Kaze Master is the digital display for this experiment.

The use of "stubby barbs" was because normal barb threads do not fit the flowmeter

Methods

The loop was set up first with the stock MCP655 pump as shown above.
    Distilled water was poured into the loop and bubbles were allowed to escape fully before any readings were taken.
    Once no visible bubbles can be seen (or heard), rpm reading was observed and the min/max recorded. Due to the nature of the Kaze Master, readings are in increments of 30rpm.

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/ac...01_detail.html

I know the flow meter or the reader or any part of the loop may not be accurate. But by standardizing the loop and only changing the top, I've applied the famous (at least for my Prof) "All else being equal" rulez. Means any variations and errors will mostly cancel each other out.

Readings were taken at increasing speed setting on the pump, with care taken to be as consistent as possible on the 2-4 settings.

Once done, the tubings are carefully removed from the pump and plugged.
    I then switch to this!

Was not too happy with the way the tubings got bent but no choice there as I cannot change the length of the tubings. Tried twisting the tubings around and was happy to see that the rpm was not affected by tubing twist.

Last but not least!

Stay tuned for the results!!
    Last edited by Navanod; 09-01-2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: New pump tested
    Quote Originally Posted by HaCKs View Post
    Thanks for the info crazy asian guy with interesting hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    There are alot of great testers in these forums and my one wish is for people to quit the bickering and post trolling and start testing and sharing of information.

Water cooling is supposed to be recreational, it's not mandatory, and it's not a perfect science.

Banned
    Will led skew the results ?

Xtreme Member
    I hope not!!!

Here it is!!

Side by side comparisons

To see the trend

Would you like me to show it in Gal/min since most people here are more used to that? (Done)

Discussion

The top intake was totally ineffective and not recommended unless absolutely necessary for tubing positioning.
    Overall the results are pretty consistent and I'm quite confident that the LEDs did not shew the flow
    The extremely linear results for the stock pump was especially comforting, as that means that any errors in my equipment were not being amplified by the higher speed settings and were cancelling each other out (if they exist at all LOL)

Lastly, a BIG problem occurred!
    I had to "doctor" the last reading for the front intake at speed 5.

The Kaze master was unable to read beyond 7500rpm (should've checked that up first!!). It basically went into error mode and beeped like crazy, displaying "300" once speed 5 was attained.
    However, by fine tuning, I had managed to get 7620rpm with the speed setting slightly past halfway between 4 & 5. Hence, I estimated the flow to be ~7800rpm and the trend line seems alright to me.

Percentage gained (Front intake vs Stock only) are as follows

%
    1 108.0924855
    2 110.8527132
    3 112.3123123
    4 106.3569682
    5 105.6910569

Note that the last reading may actually be slightly higher since the reading was estimated by me. I should expect a close to 6% gain on speed setting 5 as well although the flow appeared to have hit some kind of bottleneck after speed setting 3.

Overall, this seemed to be no great dif from Martin's tests and verified my fears...a tiny 5-6% gain on speed 5. Although a 5-6% of 7.8l/min is still gain, its quite costly

I would say that the D5 may already be close to perfection at stock (unlike the smaller 355), which was why a new top couldn't milk much more performance out of it
    Last edited by Navanod; 08-12-2008 at 06:27 AM.
    There are alot of great testers in these forums and my one wish is for people to quit the bickering and post trolling and start testing and sharing of information.

Water cooling is supposed to be recreational, it's not mandatory, and it's not a perfect science.

Xtreme Addict
    speed setting 3 seems to get the biggest boost from the top. Spd5 the 7.8L/min is equal to approx 2GPM

Core
    Core i7 920
    eVGA X58 LE SLi
    2x3GB Mushkin DDR3-1600
    BFG 8800GT OC
    Seagate 7200.12 1TB + Maxtor 320GB
    LianLi A05B

Cooling (all internal)
    2x BI GTS 360
    2x DDC3.2 + Ek top
    EK Supreme LT

Xtreme Mentor
    excellent test.. very interesting
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Member
    I wonder if the use of a 1/2"ID flow meter (which does not exist) would produce better gains?

Xtreme Addict
    take any pressure measurements?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Levish View Post
    take any pressure measurements?
    Sorry buddy, thats way above my league

Crunching for Poppabear
    Thanks for the time that you spent on this. May just save the money that I was going to spend on the top.

Xtreme Addict
    THANK YOU CRAZY ASIAN GUY WITH INTERESTING HAIR!

I was using the top intake as someone suggested earlier (when the pics of the EK top were first released) that it would be the best orientation. Its quite.. alarming.. to see that the same orientation as the stock produces so much worse of a performance (although that in itself is puzzling because... the inside doesn't look any different other then the EK is smoother so why such a performance hit?)

Anyway.. its clear that I can't have it stay in that orientation since it performs worse then stock and will need to do the front intake and figure out someway to mount it.

Very interesting.. and I'm very very dissapointed in the EK product. Yes there is a very tiny gain (nowhere near the 15% 'at least' that Eddie posted) but its not even in the traditional orientation that the stock top is in (this still puzzles me)

Xtreme Addict
    As an aside, Since I have the pump mounted in the bottom of my TJ07 and the res is right above it going into the top intake... can I put a 90deg elbow in front of the side intake and have it go in like that? I figure since its gravity fed, and closed loop, the fact that the elbow is on the intake shouldn't hurt flow at all, right?

Xtreme Mentor
    Not bad, not bad.
    Can u add a couple of blocks and a rad or something to the loop to see how it performs under less "free flow" conditions?
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Banned
    Thank you for all the testing.

i was not really expecting any big performance gains, but the real need for this top was to be able to easily put in any barb you want without the hassle of hack sawing or tapping the stock top.

Getting any performance increase, no matter how small is a bonus.

Xtreme Member
    good job nav. simplistic yet effective method of showing the differences in options.
    New work-in-progress - watercooled dual-rad Lian-Li A05:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=156162
    Opteron 175 @ 3.0GHz
    273x11

Banned
    While this test show a improvement in flow rate with the aftermarket top, at what price do this improvement happen in terms of head pressure ? This is the question we need to determine.

However, even if the improvement is nil, the ability to use any barbs or to pick which inlet make it worthwhile for lots of people.

Chasing After Diety
    once again you confirmed it.

the top is usless unless you want barb attachments.

thanks for your work
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Nav, any ideas why there would be such a huge drop in performance with the EK top when using the same orientation as the stock top?

I got the impression that what Nav calls "front intake" is the stock orientation and "top intake" is the side by side inlet/outlet. No?
    CM Stacker STC-T01, Corsair HX620, ASUS P5Q-Deluxe, E8400 E0 @4.05/1.375v,
    Crucial Ballistix PC6400 @560/5-5-5-18/2.1v, HIS HD4870 w/ vmod.

Laing D5 + EK X-TOP , D-TEK Fuzion w/ 4.5mm nozzle, D-TEK Fuzion GFX w/ "Saltshaker" mod,
    Thermochill PA120.3, 1/2" 3/4" Tygon B-44-4X.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Skauneboy View Post
    I got the impression that what Nav calls "front intake" is the stock orientation and "top intake" is the side by side inlet/outlet. No?
    Hmmm.. I got the opposite impression.

Nav, wanna clarify?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Great work, this is awesome!

That's very consistent with what I got on the other inlet too. The key behind making the D5 ad DDC killer would be an aftermarket impeller. If someone made an aftermarket impeller more similar to the DDC or even better, more like the Iwaki RD-30 on a smaller scale, that's where you'd gain the most. It's still a very nice upgrade, maybe not some huge performance jump, but something and the EK machining quality is it's usual top notch of delrin goodness.

Chasing After Diety
    Great work, this is awesome!

That's very consistent with what I got on the other inlet too. The key behind making the D5 ad DDC killer would be an aftermarket impeller. If someone made an aftermarket impeller more similar to the DDC or even better, more like the Iwaki RD-30 on a smaller scale, that's where you'd gain the most. It's still a very nice upgrade, maybe not some huge performance jump, but something and the EK machining quality is it's usual top notch of delrin goodness.
    ROFL..

martin after you bought all those mods, including the bitpower shell, the unit would come out to more then a dual ddc-3.2 setup, and almost rival the price tag of an RD-30.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    ROFL..

martin after you bought all those mods, including the bitpower shell, the unit would come out to more then a dual ddc-3.2 setup, and almost rival the price tag of an RD-30.
    I wasn't considering the other mods, just the top...I'm very happy with my D5s, I just don't like how hot my DDC's run. I think the tops on them stress the motor quite a bit more than stock and that could be a part of the problem with heat. The D5 acts like it's just idling and very cool, that's comforting.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 08-12-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The key behind making the D5 ad DDC killer would be an aftermarket impeller. If someone made an aftermarket impeller more similar to the DDC or even better, more like the Iwaki RD-30 on a smaller scale, that's where you'd gain the most.
    That is a very interesting idea. I'm going to have to look into that
    If my answers frighten you, stop asking such scary questions...

• Hush V2
    • Intel i7 4770K - XSPC Raystorm - Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 - Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1866 - 9-9-9-24
    • Zoltac Geforce GTX 780Ti - EK-FC780GTX Ti
    • SanDisk Ultra 480GB SSD - WD Black 1TB 64MB Cache
    • Custom Water Cooled Fractal Designs Define R4 - Antec HCP-1000 Platinum
    • EK Coolstream XTC 280 - Cougar CF-V14HB Vortex HDB - XSPC EX240 - Scythe GT AP-15
    • Dazmode Storm DDC 3.25 - AquaComputer Aqualis DDC 150 Reservoir

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skauneboy View Post
    That is absolutely correct. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    Hmmm.. I got the opposite impression.

Nav, wanna clarify?
    See above. Apologies for the confusion

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    Not bad, not bad.
    Can u add a couple of blocks and a rad or something to the loop to see how it performs under less "free flow" conditions?
    i'm thinking of slapping an EK Supreme in but time is kinda short on my end
    Work, night classes, wife-to-be and finishing up my new rig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast