Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PC's Played more than any console!!!

Xtreme Member
    just make good games dammit! i buy all HL2 games because theyre worth it. cant wait for ep3 and portal 2
    my mini-fridge
    MoBo: GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Q9550 3.6GHZ @ 1.216v | RAM: 4x1GB 900mhz @ 5-5-5-15 | GPU: GTX 460 900G/1800S/4400M | PSU: Corsair 750TX| HDD's: Seagate 320GB + 500GB, Samsung 1TB | Case: antec p180

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmrdr13 View Post
    I think the only really good way to stop people pirating software is making really good multiplayer play. The reason why games like Assassin's Creed got pirated so much was because it was single player. COD4 for example, I'm sure it was pirated a lot but look at how many copies it sold just because it has great multiplayer play.
    Ding! You've got it.

"Pirate Proofing" results in games that have more checks, more failsafe, and generally speaking, more code to churn through. What this means, is that for the average user, longer startup times, and far more failure points. Who wants to have to sit down with their bifocals and carefully select components based on what's compatible? Something like that shouldn't happen. We're not in the DOS days anymore.

Generally speaking, single player is unsecure. It can, and will always be cracked. Multiplayer is where your sales should really come from. A unique serial, or disk signature which verifies with a central server means that if you want to play the game with friends, you buy it. That's something I'm never opposed to.

Unless of course, you make the game need a net connection to be it's nanny and enable network play. That's just not cool since in most LAN situations, the only "net connection" you can often get is via a laptop in just the right spot for WiFi, or some poor sod's cellphone, which will go out the second everybody's torrents automatically pick up.

Xtreme Member
    Good new regarding pc gaming. I doubt anyone really minds paying for a decent multiplayer game as has been suggested and as far as i can see that is where the future really lies. I mean its fun to play on your own but its always so much better kicking your mates ass from across the pond!

More single player games should be co-op too.

Coat It with GOOOO
    I really love single player games. Personally I think of video games as just an art form that really isn't publicly accepted as one. Sometimes it's kinda sad for me to see that PC publishers are forced to gear things more towards the multiplayer games so that they can have more robust copy protection, but I guess that's the world that we live in.
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Wife-- i7-860 @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte P55M-UD4 | HD5770 | 80GB Intel x25-m |
    HTPC1-- Q9450 | Asus P5E-VM | HD3450 | 1TB storage
    HTPC2-- QX9750 | Asus P5E-VM | 1TB storage |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauhung View Post
    I really love single player games. Personally I think of video games as just an art form that really isn't publicly accepted as one. Sometimes it's kinda sad for me to see that PC publishers are forced to gear things more towards the multiplayer games so that they can have more robust copy protection, but I guess that's the world that we live in.
    hey, i agree. but the reality is, that good single player games sell well. can't say that hl2 or bioshock have suffered poor sales. the cheap way out is to make a multi-player that is easier to enforce, but plenty of games even screw that part up... bottom line is, if you make a good game, people will buy it. the game companies should stop whining, and make some good games.
    Core i7 920 3849B028 4.2ghz cooled by ek hf | 6gb stt ddr3 2100 | MSI HD6950 cf cooled by ek fc | Evga x58 e760 Classified | 120gb G.Skill Phoenix Pro | Modded Rocketfish case + 1200w toughpower | mcp 655 pump + mcr 320 + black ice pro II

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by DamienKC View Post
    look at counter-strike. that game is nearly impossible, if not impossible, to pirate because it's just multiplayer, and great at that.
    It used to be possible to get unlimited accounts though. So it hasn't always been like that. I think there are still people trying (and succeeding at) this, although in new ways.

Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    If you own the disk, you can do whatever you want on your own pc.
    No, this is in fact not true in most countries. Especially not in the US (I noticed it says you're from CA).

There are at least two problems:
    1. Trying to circumvent any copy protection is always illegal. (DMCA in the US, Anti-Circumvention Rules in the EU. WIPO Copyright Treaty in general.)
    2. You may not make unauthorized copies ("backups") of software discs. (Now I'm not 100% on this one, at least not in the US. You would essentially have to break (1) to do this though, so it doesn't really matter whether it's true or not. Anyway, in Sweden it's supposed to be like this: You may not copy - not even for backup purposes - your software discs, including game discs. You are however allowed to copy video and music media for personal use. In Sweden this personal use includes those closest to you, such as your family and friends.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    What needs to happen for pc gaming is console like disks, that are encrypted, put in the disk and play just like xbox and ps3, only if its single player, but if its MP, then online authentication is required so it wont matter if the disk is in or not.
    Like those don't get chipped? VERY bad idea. DRM is a very bad idea as it is and it's really, really bad for the customer at this point. It limits his choice of hardware for no good reason and hardware that's supposed to work doesn't. Essentially the only way to get TrueHD / DTS Master Audio quality audio from Blu-Rays today is to pirate the FLAC tracks. In fact, pirating HD movies is really the only way to make sure it works as advertised. So don't get them more ideas.
    (Today's software players seem to downsample - and even ruin, with clicks and pops - protected and unprotect - legit or not - HD audio tracks today.) I don't think I will ever buy a Blu-Ray (for testing purposes I'd just borrow one), just like I'd never buy a StarForce "protected" game.

Quote Originally Posted by munim View Post
    I will post this in every piracy thread evar: [ Piracy & PC Gaming ]
    Very good article!

I agree completely with that, when making games for a profit you need to consider your actual customer base, not your potential user base. Pirates don't have a vote, it is as simple as that. So don't go crying when they don't buy your game. If your customer base is too small, either do something else or stop QQ'ing. If you think too few within your customer base bought your game, you most likely did something wrong and the game probably wasn't worth buying anyway (unless you're an unlucky independent developer and thus don't get the attention you deserve of course, but that hardly applies to games such as the PC version of "Assasin's Creed"). If you're not making games for a profit, don't expect one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Xtreme X.I.P.
    As for sales, NPD reports that 14% of games purchased between November 2007 and January 2008 were digital downloads.
    o rly? all my games are analog downloads :P

interesting numbers, thanks for the headsup

Xtreme Addict
    I downloaded Assains creed. It was fun for a few hours, but i never played it again..most SP get downloaded like most have said here..and i agree new MP games need to be developed outside of the RPGMMO genre which is getting really old imo to save gaming. COD4 is great, but has some 35% piracy rate, and people can get online with it, or they could for a while when it came out i read over at shack and a couple of places. not good

More WAR MMO/FPS would be great. WWII online, aces high etc are great..but buggy and run like crap. WWII online has been around for 6 years, but barely has a fan base. Still waiting on that BF3 MMO style, without the gay dragons and trading.
    ~

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmrdr13 View Post
    I think the only really good way to stop people pirating software is making really good multiplayer play. The reason why games like Assassin's Creed got pirated so much was because it was single player. COD4 for example, I'm sure it was pirated a lot but look at how many copies it sold just because it has great multiplayer play.
    COD4's multiplayer sucks. The maps are small and you just "run n' gun"
    BF2's multiplayer is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] 2long4u View Post
    I wouldnt say it sucks, in fact it's pretty darn addicting(but ig et what your saying, maps are small). I quit playing though after i screwed up and lost my 4 star Gen account!

bf2 dont even play anymore, just Project reality..to bad more dont play PR, much better game.
    Last edited by strange|ife; 08-11-2008 at 11:27 PM.
    ~

Xtreme Member
    +1. BF2 is something that hasn't been replaced in my eyes.
    No rig right now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Reason why people pirate games is because it is $60 for a game. Most people cannot afford to buy all the games. Make them cheaper. Most pirates don't want to deal with bypassing copy protection, and waiting for cracks, etc.

Xtreme Addict
    Or the other way around. ppl would buy those 60$ games regardless if the price would justify the game in the buyers eyes.
    Menaing make a god damn quality games and ppl will pay for them. Well thats what i do. I buy quality games, i don't even bother pirating ty ones.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroMan View Post
    want to sell single player, goto console;
    want to sell multiplayer, goto PC; (with linux support)
    no.

i'm a big fan of multiplayer games, but i'd go mad if they would stop making singleplayer games for the pc.

had a lot of fun playing sp games like oblivion, fear, prey, etc...
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by munim View Post
    I will post this in every piracy thread evar: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com...?postid=303512
    Best post of the day award goes to..... Munim

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGore View Post
    Reason why people pirate games is because it is $60 for a game. Most people cannot afford to buy all the games. Make them cheaper. Most pirates don't want to deal with bypassing copy protection, and waiting for cracks, etc.
    some games are up to 99$ or even more!
    and then imagine this, awesome tv comercial, kids go buy the game, and then... it just sucks and isnt at all what they were promised/what they expected... there goes their allowence for the month... im not surprised every kid out there is dling every game he can get his hands on...
    and even if you have the money and can afford to buy several games for 99$ a month, dont tell me you just blow the money for games if half of them suck and dont feel upset over spending so much on games you dont even enjoyed...

imo there should be a mix of what you have in the us for cinemas and an extended demo level structure.
    longer demo levels you can play to see if you really like the game, and then you can decide to pay or not pay.
    and if you really didnt like the game, you complain to the shop and get your money back, or at least half the money or something...

i pay for a game AFTER i played it, when it was good and i had a nice time.
    sc
    wc3
    fahrenheit
    ac
    hl2
    hl2 ep1
    hl2 ep2

tho i gotta say hl2 series were mediocre at best... i still felt its worth its price...
    Last edited by saaya; 08-12-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamienKC View Post
    look at counter-strike. that game is nearly impossible, if not impossible, to pirate because it's just multiplayer, and great at that.
    have you ever looked around for non-steam servers and clients? there are thousands and dozen of thousands. Same goes to many other MP titles.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Depends on what you like,and you can't really compare them.
    I for one love the COD4's MP since I love "instant" and fast paced action.
    MP can be cracked by using cracked servers which don't have the security check,same thing applies to CS/COD4 etc....
    OFF:Operation Flashpoint 2 will be really nice for sim lovers
    Before you complain about lag, think about Jesus. He lagged three days before respawning.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    o rly? all my games are analog downloads :P
    so that download took quite long, eh
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Coat It with GOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin_The_Martian View Post
    Best post of the day award goes to..... Munim
    I'll second that
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Wife-- i7-860 @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte P55M-UD4 | HD5770 | 80GB Intel x25-m |
    HTPC1-- Q9450 | Asus P5E-VM | HD3450 | 1TB storage
    HTPC2-- QX9750 | Asus P5E-VM | 1TB storage |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Xtreme Member
    In my case i think games are very expensive a new game here cost 50€(75$) , i just buy the games i like when they are around 30€ , valve did a great thing with orange box , Css and episode one, CSs costs 20€ episode one (when released the price tag was 29€) and the orange box a colection of great games for 45€.

If you like the games you play buy them
    GAME-AMD x6 1055T|ASUS M4A870TD|8GB DDR3|HD5858|SSD RAID0|Seasonic!700w
    VMWARE-E6420|Asus P5Q-VM|4GB|320GB|BEQUIET!600w|
    NAS-Via 1.5 GHz ITX|Dual Gigabit|1gb ddr|2*3TB WD
    MbP 13"|C2D 2.53GHz|4gb DDR3

Barton 2600+@2800mhz SuperPI 37s Sempron 2800+@2665mhz SuperPI 35,5s OLD SCHOOl
    -Apple Iphone 3g |X10 mini Pro 2.2.1|Nintendo WII|PS3 Slim

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by del_fuego View Post
    More single player games should be co-op too.
    that would rock.. A zombie game would be perfect for co-op.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    newsflash: Alone in the Dark 5 is yet to be cracked.
    Really... suprised. Then again some games do take much longer before anyone see's them up there though. Now put that protection in more games surely that would be better, if its not a PITA to the consumer that is.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    that would rock.. A zombie game would be perfect for co-op.
    Ever played "House of the Dead"? I bet there are others like it.

Pretty fun I must say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Xtreme Addict
    Multiplayer sells. Almost pirate proof.

The problem: Making GOOD multiplayer is too hard task for majority of the studios, they take the easy and simple way, the single player and whine when they don't get the money they "deserve". Asses.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast