Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Intel's 22nm Successors Revealed - Ivy Bridge & Haswell

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nintendork View Post
    As long as they keep their market dominance but:

-Fusion become a huge sucess for mobile market(takes a big chunk of the marketshare)
    -ARM also takes take a but chunk of the mobile market in the form of tablets
    -Server chips are populated with huge amount of ARM clusters
    -People care less about cpu/ipc and more about gpu
    -Desktop sales plummeting

In my crystal ball intel will become fabless sooner or later.
    lol you amd users have an interesting humor.

22nn is said to have 50% less power consuption and 37% faster clocks.I dont think intel has anything to worry about.

Where is BD? wasnt that supposed to be out in 08-09? by the time BD hits the streets intel will have ivy bridge E with quad channel ram running 50gb/sec memory bandwidth.

What does your crystal ball say about AMD last 7 years lol

We already had a ivy bridge 8 core 16 thread chip show up on ebay so we at least know they have them up and running.
    Last edited by Skratch; 05-20-2011 at 06:24 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skratch View Post

22nn is said to have 50% less power consuption or 37% faster clocks.I dont think intel has anything to worry about.

Where is BD? wasnt that supposed to be out in 08-09? by the time SB hits the streets intel will have ivy bridge E with quad channel ram running 50gb/sec memory bandwidth.

corrected it. the highest frequency (around 1V) there is hardly any difference with bulk 22nm.

SB is already released. ivy bridge will launch with 4cores.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyck View Post
    corrected it. the highest frequency (around 1V) there is hardly any difference with bulk 22nm.

we will wait and see what there tri gates do with 22nm but intel has said its faster and way less power consumption.

There was an 8 core ivy bridge on ebay and ivy will launch with 4/6 cores at launch with some unlocked and some limited locked and later on an extreme 8 core will come out.

I am Xtreme

22nn is said to have 50% less power consuption and 37% faster clocks.I dont think intel has anything to worry about.

Where is BD? wasnt that supposed to be out in 08-09? by the time BD hits the streets intel will have ivy bridge E with quad channel ram running 50gb/sec memory bandwidth.

I'm not a BD guy, but I hope it does bad ass so intel has to do something crazy.

What I'm dreaming is a 64bit arm based desktop chip (in power draw) with a motherboard that has at least 8 pci-e 16x slots. I want my desktop to be my server while being able to play games at the same time. Its time to ditch x86

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    we will wait and see what there tri gates do with 22nm but intel has said its faster and way less power consumption.

There was an 8 core ivy bridge on ebay and ivy will launch with 4/6 cores at launch with some unlocked and some limited locked and later on an extreme 8 core will come out.
    flyck is correct.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I think what he means is that 4 year roadmaps should still be flexible to some degree and not be entirely cast in stone.
    That's how chip makers do it AFAIK. Haswell we will see will be quite different from Haswell as it was originally envisioned

It was supposed to have on package or even on die lrb
    I doubt we will see this materialize...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    I think what he means is that 4 year roadmaps should still be flexible to some degree and not be entirely cast in stone.
    That's how chip makers do it AFAIK. Haswell we will see will be quite different from Haswell as it was originally envisioned

i think we won't see lrb in next 3-4 years...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post

I dont think so,just look at the specs back in late 2007 for ivy bridge.its almost 5 years later by the time it comes out and the specs are spot on.remember guys its takes about 4-5 years to build these things and they even mention the 3d transistors back then.

the oregon team started working on haswell a while ago and they are not going to change much! or anything at all that was planned from the get go.

I am Xtreme
    As long as they keep their market dominance but:

-Fusion become a huge sucess for mobile market(takes a big chunk of the marketshare)
    -ARM also takes take a but chunk of the mobile market in the form of tablets
    -Server chips are populated with huge amount of ARM clusters
    -People care less about cpu/ipc and more about gpu
    -Desktop sales plummeting

Better not have someone quote that, only to see that in 3 or 4 years basically nothing has changed...

Whops...

-People have been screaming for decades that desktop is dying... yet it still growing... not as fast as mobile, but it is still bigger then in 2000.
    -Arm now has no foothold in server space at all, meaning there are no oses or apps for it, while you probably can make a OS quite fast,it probably will take way longer to make apps for it. No apps <-> no sales <-> no hardware.
    As for mobile, if anything arm will fight directly with lowend fusion and atom, no way there ľarch can competent anywhere else, perfromance isn't there.
    -Normal people never cared for ipc/cpu or gpu to beginn with, they wanted to just run there stuff, and is it goes today fusion still doesn't offer anything of an advantage, its better if you want to run games, but slower if you want to run other things (e.g. x264 encoding) so if it will become a succes or not only depends on the price.

And as for intel becoming fabless... I doubt that will hapen anything in short term, maybe in 10-15 years, but thats ages away and by that time they also could have monopolized the fab market for all we know.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dont think so,just look at the specs back in late 2007 for ivy bridge.its almost 5 years later by the time it comes out and the specs are spot on.remember guys its takes about 4-5 years to build these things and they even mention the 3d transistors back then.

the oregon team started working on haswell a while ago and they are not going to change much! or anything at all that was planned from the get go.
    one the major spec, larrabee, is missing already.

The Canuck
    Your crystal ball is broken

Xtreme Addict
    3d 22nm trannies are said to "lower power consumption 50% at constant performance" vs 32nm planar. The other is to "increase performance 37% at low voltage, only 18% at high voltage" vs 32nm planar. Not both at the same time, that would break physics as we know it and create a blackhole.

So what does that actually mean. A 3d 22nm tranny is just as fast at low voltage as a 32nm planar tranny is at high voltage, saving 50% power.

A 3d 22nm tranny at low voltage is 37% faster than a 32nm planar tranny at the same low voltage.

A 3d 22nm tranny at high voltage is 18% faster than a 32nm planar tranny at the same high voltage.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    There is a higher chance of Intel not making any more x86 chips,then becoming fabless,that's how unlikely that is.
    My Heatware
    Originally Posted by some guy on internet
    That's your problem right there. Just forget about how things look on paper as that's irrelevant.

Xtreme Member

From what i've read across the interwebz about it... it was a Sandy Bridge-E chip... not Ivybridge...

Also, what's with the hostility about "you amd users?" Intel wouldn't worry about your sorry soul here... nor would AMD worry much about people writing here... We could always share information like mature adults...

Anyways... as i see it... Intel with its superior node technology will cram more and more trannies and more mb's of cache... on a cpu... On the other hand, in the short run, AMD which has a superior architecture with BD on the server side... has had quad channel memory since Magny Cours if you paid attention... will be playing catch-up...

http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49
    It is for things like this and then some... for which i don't buy Intel...

Xtreme X.I.P.

Just look back at Intel, or any chipmaker for that matter, and their past actions and products... there are so many obvious hints that certain things weren't planned... especially not for 5 years.

Knowing people within Intel I agree that they'd benefit from being a little more flexible though... they do tend to cast a little too much into stone a little too early without leaving some flexibility to adjust to unforeseen developments.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
    From what i've read across the interwebz about it... it was a Sandy Bridge-E chip... not Ivybridge...

Also, what's with the hostility about "you amd users?" Intel wouldn't worry about your sorry soul here... nor would AMD worry much about people writing here... We could always share information like mature adults...

Anyways... as i see it... Intel with its superior node technology will cram more and more trannies and more mb's of cache... on a cpu... On the other hand, in the short run, AMD which has a superior architecture with BD on the server side... has had quad channel memory since Magny Cours if you paid attention... will be playing catch-up...

http://www.agner.org/optimize/blog/read.php?i=49
    It is for things like this and then some... for which i don't buy Intel...
    There is a 22nm 8 core/16 thread sandy E coming out? I read it was a ivy but could be wrong.I thought ivy bridge is a shrunken sandy?
    Last edited by Skratch; 05-20-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Xtreme Member
    There is a 22nm 8 core/16 thread sandy E coming out? I read it was a ivy but could be wrong.I thought ivy bridge is a shrunken sandy?
    Ivy's supposed to hit shelves H2 2012... If it were available this soon in the wild... Intel would be somewhat worried... Why? Cos competition would have plenty of time to look at stuff and counter. Intel would pay top dollar to hunt that snitch who'll leak something like that (even AMD may)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...Hits_Ebay.html

It has a link to the page that doesn't exist as seller's out of stock :P

However, if you're still itching you could go for the six-core processor at the same speeds...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-i7-6-cores...b980470a&vil=1

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ivy's supposed to hit shelves H2 2012... If it were available this soon in the wild... Intel would be somewhat worried... Why? Cos competition would have plenty of time to look at stuff and counter. Intel would pay top dollar to hunt that snitch who'll leak something like that (even AMD may)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...Hits_Ebay.html

It has a link to the page that doesn't exist as seller's out of stock :P

However, if you're still itching you could go for the six-core processor at the same speeds...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-i7-6-cores...b980470a&vil=1
    ivy bridge is just a die shrink of sandy bridge and there are no 8 core 32nm sandy extremes in the line up so its had to be on a 22nm die to fit 8 cores on it.

That chip for sale is a 6 core as the earlier one was an 8 core monster

either way there are def samples of ivy bridge out there,I have seen them demo'd on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hIZnWEQW8
    Last edited by Skratch; 05-21-2011 at 05:50 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I thought IV was Q4 2011?

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post

-PB
    I think its Q1 2012

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by flyck View Post

The two slides of interest are http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...22nm/power.jpg and
    http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...m/benefits.jpg

What intel is saying is that at constant performance there is >50% reduction in power. That is to say expect much lower power for IVB clocked the same as SB. This is the second sub-bullet of the second slide.

At ultra low voltages there is a 37% performance improvement at the same voltage compared to 32 nm bulk but they make no mention of how much lower power may be at those conditions. The ULV parts are also low power but Intel was not clear on how the static power compares at that voltage but it is likely to be lower.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post

-PB
    If intel sticks to the norm they will start shipping IVB in Q4 and officially launch in Q1 2012.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    If intel sticks to the norm they will start shipping IVB in Q4 and officially launch in Q1 2012.
    Ahh k shipping, cool, yeah I'll hold off with the C2E till IV gets its arse into gear

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Member
    ivy bridge is just a die shrink of sandy bridge and there are no 8 core 32nm sandy extremes in the line up so its had to be on a 22nm die to fit 8 cores on it.

That chip for sale is a 6 core as the earlier one was an 8 core monster

either way there are def samples of ivy bridge out there,I have seen them demo'd on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hIZnWEQW8
    Did you actually click on my link and read the article? My guess is not. If you did, well, wake up matey.

There's a whole load of difference between a company doing tests internally on a chip or making a demo... and people outside company getting samples to test it. AFAIK, of late samples out with public this early is unheard of.

Well... the e-bay posting WAS of SB-E 8 core... now there are 6 core versions available as well, which weren't mentioned and i just was searching and found them. You say it was Ivybridge, hell i wish it was Haswell, but it wasn't.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you actually click on my link and read the article? My guess is not. If you did, well, wake up matey.

There's a whole load of difference between a company doing tests internally on a chip or making a demo... and people outside company getting samples to test it. AFAIK, of late samples out with public this early is unheard of.

Well... the e-bay posting WAS of SB-E 8 core... now there are 6 core versions available as well, which weren't mentioned and i just was searching and found them. You say it was Ivybridge, hell i wish it was Haswell, but it wasn't.
    I read it lol im still saying it was ivy

I mean it could of been haswell also because ivy is supposed to hit the streets late q4 early q1 2012 right?thats only 6 months from now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234