Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intel's 22nm Successors Revealed - Ivy Bridge & Haswell

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
    ignorant is what it is.
    Maybe.

Larabee is at least an example of them thinking outside the box.Im not an engineer or anything, but die shrinks, a few more cores and cache isnt gonna make me clean that sock when I am done with it
    Last edited by y2kbos; 08-11-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Still no tri-gate transistors, they were supposed to come in 2007 .
    Q6600 3.6Ghz @ 1.276v | DFI LP LT P35 | Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 600Mhz @ 2.074v | GeForce 260 GTX | Auzen X-Fi Prelude | PCP&C 750 | Arch Linux ~ WinXP
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 | DFI LANParty NF4 SLI-DR | 2x512MB G.SKILL PC3200 BH-5 | OCZ PowerStream 520W | Palit GeForce 9600 GT | Gentoo

Long Live DFI.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by y2kbos View Post
    Maybe.

Larabee is at least an example of them thinking outside the box.Im not an engineer or anything, but die shrinks, a few more cores and cache isnt gonna make me clean that sock when I am done with it
    Larabee is still something that is developed for what...4-5 years aswell? And its not really thinking outside the box. Its just a reintroduction of the software renderer we had before and under the Voodoo times. Its things done right however. Sicne GPUs sofar is more jump over where the fence is lowest.

And Larabee is basicly Die shrink, more cores and more cache......
    Last edited by Shintai; 08-11-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xlink View Post
    I prefer ticks.the diference between the 65nm tock and the conroe tick was significant. As is the difference between the 45nm tock and the nehalem tick.

the srinks just didn't do too much though. 10% higher clocks, <10% more performance/clock... <20% performance boosts don't impress me as much as 20-100% performance boosts.
    You are switching the ticks and tocks arounds. Conroe was a tock, while Penryn was a tick and Nehalem is a tock again. So in essence you agree with me
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Cruncher
    ^ Hehe, yah everyone gets them mixed up. Westmere will be here next year, hopefully DDR3 is cheap, mobos matured, if i need to upgrade. 6 Cores with HT? Sounds tasty
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    You are switching the ticks and tocks arounds. Conroe was a tock, while Penryn was a tick and Nehalem is a tock again. So in essence you agree with me

Actually if you are going by the core architecture, Conroe was the "tick" and Penryn was the "tock". They both are on the core 2 architecture with the Penryn family benefiting from a smaller die size and the SSE4.1 instruction set and a few other minor enhancements.

Nehalem will start this cycle over again. Making it the "tick" and Sandy Bridge the "tock".
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI

Xtreme Addict
    You could do it that way, but Intel has been using the "tick" for introducing a new process technology and the "tock" is a newer CPU on that same, but more mature, process technology. All I'm doing is going by what Intel uses to explain their strategy....

But that's all nitpicking and does not really matter in the end. As long as we all get what was meant to be said.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Larabee is still something that is developed for what...4-5 years aswell? And its not really thinking outside the box. Its just a reintroduction of the software renderer we had before and under the Voodoo times. Its things done right however. Sicne GPUs sofar is more jump over where the fence is lowest.

And Larabee is basicly Die shrink, more cores and more cache......
    True, I just dont find these latest plans all that exciting, maybe I am growing out of it who knows.I kind of want more you know?

Xtreme Mentor
    I dont like it, as nothing should be set in stone.

Roadmaps have no place in Tech, especially 4 year roadmaps.Tech should be spontaneous.
    Yeah, it's been just disasterous for Intel. Hasn't worked well at in getting powerful and exciting new technologies to the market. Far better to embrace a model like AMD's, where "planning" and "road-maps" are apparently four-letter words.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by CraptacularOne View Post
    Actually if you are going by the core architecture, Conroe was the "tick" and Penryn was the "tock". They both are on the core 2 architecture with the Penryn family benefiting from a smaller die size and the SSE4.1 instruction set and a few other minor enhancements.

Nehalem will start this cycle over again. Making it the "tick" and Sandy Bridge the "tock".
    Is the other way around. New architecture = tock. Die shrink = tick. Conroe was the tock, Penryn is the tick. And Nehalem is the next tock.

Tick tock madness.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    Is the other way around. New architecture = tock. Die shrink = tick. Conroe was the tock, Penryn is the tick. And Nehalem is the next tock.

Tick tock madness.
    I am merely explaining a point of view. Either is correct, as it really is irrelevant anyway.
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI

Xtreme Mentor
    ehh I guess I did mix them. all I know is that I heard of tick-tock right around conroe time, so conroe got to be the tick in my mind.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hehe, from my understanding the Tick is the shrink, Pentium 4 and D had a 65nm shrink, then you have the new arch. on that process AKA Conroe or Tock.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have to agree with what y2kboss was saying about thinking outside the box. In 2009 6!!! years after k8, amd is finally releasing a new ground up cpu architecture (Bulldozer). (how many has intel been through since then (mobile celeron, p4, core duo, atom, etc) They had a good thing going, but they should have anticipated Intel with it's superiority consumer base, and clock speed would eventually use it's superior revenue to make something much better.

Still, it is very ignorant to think that this stuff can just be built in a few months or something planning is a must, and intel has got a great future.
    As Los Alamos director J. Robert Oppenheimer watched the demonstration, he later said that a line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita came to mind:
    "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
    Test director Kenneth Bainbridge in turn said to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of b**ches." wiki

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    I dont like it, as nothing should be set in stone.

Roadmaps have no place in Tech, especially 4 year roadmaps.Tech should be spontaneous.

*Hands award for most-outlandish-remark-ever-made-in-a-post-on-XS-before*

Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fragmasterMax View Post
    I have to agree with what y2kboss was saying about thinking outside the box. In 2009 6!!! years after k8, amd is finally releasing a new ground up cpu architecture (Bulldozer). (how many has intel been through since then (mobile celeron, p4, core duo, atom, etc) They had a good thing going, but they should have anticipated Intel with it's superiority consumer base, and clock speed would eventually use it's superior revenue to make something much better.

Still, it is very ignorant to think that this stuff can just be built in a few months or something planning is a must, and intel has got a great future.
    There's no 2009 Bulldozer anymore. 2009 and 2010 H1 all use K8L, basically. Server OEMs forced AMD to get more realistic with their roadmaps. Of course, I wouldn't put it past AMD to "rename" Magny-Cours to "bulldozer", but it isn't the ground-up architecture Bulldozer that made a brief appearance in July 2007 tech day slides.

Xtreme Mentor
    Says who?

The past is the past.
    CPU designers ...
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/lo...arnumber=63355

Quote: "4 years to design the 386 from start to first silicon" - you will need a library to verify it.

http://www.computer.org/portal/site/...3g1!1369782199

"The P6 project would eventually grow to over 400 design and validation engineers and take 4.5 years to production. But that huge investment paid off—P6 became the Pentium Pro microprocessor, was adapted to become the Pentium II and then the Pentium III, and, most recently, has evolved into the Centrino mobile line. "

I can't find any references to AMD's or IBM's design time, you could try to look here:

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd51-6.html

I would think this is fairly accurate.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme X.I.P.
    sounds like haswell will be soc or at least sop?
    interesting...

does anybody know amds plans?
    do they even still make plans for 2011? :P

Xtreme Addict
    damn 22nm by 2011? hmm..

getting close to the theoretical limits of Silicon. Read somewhere down past 9nm we would need to move to a whole new process and substrates, or just say 128 9nm cores on a die. quantum computing etc. only so far they can go with microprocessors
    ~

Xtreme Addict
    I am merely explaining a point of view. Either is correct, as it really is irrelevant anyway.
    haha no it's not.

http://www.intel.com/technology/tick-tock/index.htm

Tock = New architecture

Tick = Shrink.

Very simple, very spelled out, for the love of god everyone memorise it, nothing looks more stupid, and 'page wasting' than a tick tock argument.

Xtreme Addict
    What do you think they were doing? They were planning the Core 2 architecture a few years ago. It's not like the Core 2 architecture was a "spontaneous" development, where one R&D guy just shouted "EUREKA!" Then they rushed off to develop the Core 2 line. They spent years developing the technology.
    Don't tell him Core development started in early 2002 and Conroe was released in mid 2006.

Basically , they started work on Core shortly after Northwood was released.

It's spontaneous for sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    does anybody know amds plans?
    do they even still make plans for 2011?
    I hope we will know after AMD Tech Day '08 on November 13th.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by strange|ife View Post
    damn 22nm by 2011? hmm..

getting close to the theoretical limits of Silicon. Read somewhere down past 9nm we would need to move to a whole new process and substrates, or just say 128 9nm cores on a die. quantum computing etc. only so far they can go with microprocessors
    hahah dont listen to that BS man...
    when i started to get into pcs they said anything past 65nm is gonna be impossible, then later they said anything past 45nm will be really difficult/impossible, then they said anything past 32nm will be really difficult/impossible...

thats just technology... from where your standing now you can only see so far into the future of whats coming next. after a certain point its just purely fantasy, some people are pessimistic and think there wont be any room for improvements, others are overly optimistic and dream about flying cars and opening wormholes :P

leakage was supposed to be the ultimate issue for shrinking past 65nm, and we are not at 45nm and beyond and leakage is actually better than on 65nm and 90nm so... just dont listen to those rumors :P

there are plenty of smart heads on this planet who figure out how to solve the problems we MIGHT run into in the next 5 years

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    I hope we will know after AMD Tech Day '08 on November 13th.
    i hope they finally woke up and have some actual ideas what they can do NOW and in short term future and stop dreaming about some distant future product thats gonna be soooo awesome... they need to stop recycling their fusion and other older roadmap bs :P

if amd doesnt get a serious adrenaline rush now its gonna be intel and nothing but intel for the next decade or two... maybe longer...

and dont get me wrong, intel has changed a lot and they are doing really great stuff now and listening to their customers, support the enthusiasts and all... but without competition even the nicest company with the nicest ceo will end up with world domination plans :P

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hahah dont listen to that BS man...
    when i started to get into pcs they said anything past 65nm is gonna be impossible, then later they said anything past 45nm will be really difficult/impossible, then they said anything past 32nm will be really difficult/impossible...

thats just technology... from where your standing now you can only see so far into the future of whats coming next. after a certain point its just purely fantasy, some people are pessimistic and think there wont be any room for improvements, others are overly optimistic and dream about flying cars and opening wormholes :P

leakage was supposed to be the ultimate issue for shrinking past 65nm, and we are not at 45nm and beyond and leakage is actually better than on 65nm and 90nm so... just dont listen to those rumors :P

there are plenty of smart heads on this planet who figure out how to solve the problems we MIGHT run into in the next 5 years
    We still have the atomic size issue. So at some point in our lifetime we will hit the wall. With this pace, maybe before 2020.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast