Thread: Dead hardware !!!!!!! Quad down !!!!

sleepin is overrated

Unhappy Dead hardware !!!!!!! Quad down !!!!

hi all as many of you know i run phase 24/7 on my quad and this morning i awoke to find the phase unit running but the computer off.

I tryed turning on the computer and it stated booting up only to show no display and the mobo lights were doing nuts !!!!
    I went to unscrew the side panel and it was freezing !!!!!! My unit had been trying to cool the cpu which was off so the temps dropped inside the case and i had frozen hardware and but turning it on i melted the ice and water wat running down the mobo into gpu,s.

i pulled out the power lead and started stripping down the computer so i could try to dry out the stuff

Clamp Down is pretty wet!!! (scary)

Used tissue paper to soak up heavy water deposits and then, Argh bent LGA pin !!!!!!! (this is gonna be fun fixing that)

Mobo out of case and in Oven/Grill to dry out (best tool for drying wet hardware)

Fingers crossed people !!!!

Great way to start sunday morning !!!!

Hmm. Sunday Roast. yum

Feel sorry for that, but a cloths pin and some nice hand work should sort out that LGA pin. I'm betting it'll all come back once dry. I'd had condensation in my sockets before and its always come back to life. But becareful you don't actually ROAST anything in that oven. I'm a fan of wind. (<<got pun? lol). Use Cats hair dryer.!

version 2.0
    phase change running 24/7 ...
    I wouldn't recommend it .

Good luck with the motherboard and cpu

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Jaco View Post
    phase change running 24/7 ...
    I wouldn't recommend it .

Good luck with the motherboard and cpu
    If its done right, it works well.

version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    If its done right, it works well.
    Ideally, the cooler would have to turn itself off when the motherboard's down.

Royal Administrator
    It happened to me once. I left a TEC cooler with a full speed fan on while I was upstairs. It shuts my rig down when I came back. I wasn't sure until I found the socket area was wet. I immediately pulled the TEC CPU block, and dried out the CPU and the socket area. Then I used alcohol to clean the pins on the bottom of the CPU. It started working again.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Good luck wes!!
    How does the chip look? Is the chip dead?

Quote Originally Posted by littleowl View Post
    Good luck wes!!
    How does the chip look? Is the chip dead?
    Wes? Karl is his name.

Banned
    I hope it all works out for you but seriously can I come and clean your oven D:

Hamster Powered
    Wow that sucks, hope everything cleans up fine. I would flush the boards with 91% isopropyl alcohol to displace the water and then use a hair dryer to finish the task.

Please keep us informed on your progress.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Wes? Karl is his name.
    oups I should have looked again. sarry acid! I was thinking that wes posted.

Go ahead rip! supid ohioan!

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    Quote Originally Posted by littleowl View Post
    oups I should have looked again. sarry acid! I was thinking that wes posted.

Go ahead rip! supid ohioan!
    Stupid CRACKHEAD!!

Hope you get it back up..lol......your a young guy, shouldnt be a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Hicks121 View Post
    Stupid CRACKHEAD!!

Hope you get it back up..lol......your a young guy, shouldnt be a problem
    hey now, hey now!!

Not everyone can be perfect at everything they do!!

sleepin is overrated
    ITS ALIVE!!!!!

Using it to type this, going to keep it on air for a few days to make sure that everything is o.k.
    used a needle to straighten the lga pin, frill worked a treat and mobo was bone dry Was bloody hottt!!! as long as i didnt go over 60 c everything will be fine
    I remember Asus had a p.c running in an oven to prove hot they could handle the heat its was last years ces if i remember correctly

Air cooled 2900xt are bloody loud !!!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am happy to see her up and running acid!!!!

Cool.! Glad to hear. There somthing unsettling about a stock cooler... *shudder* Oh I like the cards!!

Hamster Powered
    Great news.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Coat It with GOOOO
    very nicely recovered! Glad to hear it's back and kicking
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Wife-- i7-860 @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte P55M-UD4 | HD5770 | 80GB Intel x25-m |
    HTPC1-- Q9450 | Asus P5E-VM | HD3450 | 1TB storage
    HTPC2-- QX9750 | Asus P5E-VM | 1TB storage |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Back from the Dead
    Glad it worked out and the best wishes for the future from a fellow phaser
    Even though something like this shouldn't happen even when the PC goes down. Depends on how the unit is tuned I guess, but mine won't go below -38 even with the CPU shut off, which is not a problem with my insulation.
    In fact I ran my unit for 24h with the PC off to ensure the seal was perfect.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

sleepin is overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Glad it worked out and the best wishes for the future from a fellow phaser
    Even though something like this shouldn't happen even when the PC goes down. Depends on how the unit is tuned I guess, but mine won't go below -38 even with the CPU shut off, which is not a problem with my insulation.
    In fact I ran my unit for 24h with the PC off to ensure the seal was perfect.

It should have shut down when the computer crashed ( it has every time since been crash testing it changing the mem timmings to silly low stuff). I would like to think my clamp down is well insulated but my unit is tuned for a bigger load and temps drop if no load is applyed. I still use heater plates in the clampdown to make sure the socket stays dry but they shut off when the computer crashed ( while leads me to think that the control unit messed up as it tryed and failed to shut down the phase unit.

Back from the Dead
    If your unit is tuned for high loads, then your idle temps shouldn't be that low? Mine's currently tuned for high load as well, 260W which is kind of the limit for a 1/3hp NL11F.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]