Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought this was kind of sad-funny-interesting

Xtreme Mentor

Thought this was kind of sad-funny-interesting

Just copying this from someones post on another website.

So i'm building a PC for a friend of mine with lots of money to spend

I order all the parts to start from scratch, case, hardware, watercooling supplies.

The build goes almost perfectly. I install XP Pro and start installing drivers, updates, etc.

Finally get to start benchmarks and testing and then I start experiencing system instability, overheating and it only gets worse.

I eventually take the PC back to my place to troubleshoot this thing.

Main problems:

- Screeching PSU
    - Overheating GTX 260 (on water)
    - Can't overclock worth a damn

After plenty of research on the forums I decide to upgrade the cooling system by adding another rad (wasen't enough cooling to begin with) and ordering a new, better motherboard.

I order a motherboard and Radiator. "Horray! Parts are here!" I exclaim, until I realized I've ordered the wrong motherboard. Not even an SLI-capable motherboard, it's for CROSSFIRE!

Order yet another motherboard, this time the correct one.

I install the new radiator and motherboard. Still the same thing. Overheating card, screeching PSU, GPU, CPU. System instability.

I finally figure out it's the power supply not providing enough power (faulty)and go ahead and order another one along with another GTX 260 just incase the first one has become damaged.

So the parts finally get here and I go about installing the new power supply and GTX 260. I get everything installed.

Now I decide to change out the coolant to something proper (just added distilled water to the exising coolant to help fill the radiator).

In the process of draining, flushing and refilling the coolant, I did the most idiotic thing i could have ever done with a PC.

I had disconnected a hose from one of the radiators and let it sit above the top level of the case while I was draining the system. Put some new coolant in the res, primed the pump and flipped the switch while on the other side of the PC.

Had I been on the window side I probably would have noticed that the hose had fallen back INTO the case.

It was actually somewhat beautiful to watch as the UV blue-green coolant gushed out at 1200lph all over the motherboard and down into the Power Supply.

Normally I might have screamed and tried in vain to grab the hose to stop it. But not this time. I just stared in awe at what I had just done. With the powersupply still spinning and starting pop and crackle I unplugged the cord from the wall.

I pull the PSU and dump out about a dixie cup worth of water from the thing.

Now i've ordered my 3rd motherboard and powersupply and currently waiting for them to get here.

Another little genious thing I did - after destroying the Antec build, I pulled the CPU and graphics card to test them in my other system. They worked fine.

Only thing was, when I pulled my old CPU to test the new CPU I somehow dropped it on the carpet, apparently damaging the CPU in the process.

Plugged my old CPU back into the MoBo and no post. Plugged the newer CPU in and it works fine.

*Sighs*

Went to newegg again and ordered another CPU.

So in the course of less than one month i've gone through 3 motherboards, 2 video cards, 3 power supplies and a CPU.

And i'm supposed to a PC technician?? lol

I can only hope I dont do anything else wrong..

I'm gonna try and RMA the crap I messed up and hope Newegg doesn't hunt me down lol.

Just wanted to share that little story with everyone - Moral: Pay Attention!

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...ld-so-far.html
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Banned
    wow I would kick myself in the nuts if that happened to me

Xtreme Mentor
    I think its something in the air...
    Last few weeks i killed my MB, 2 gpus, 1 psu and my brothers cpu. Granted nothing was brand new, but still anoying to kill so much in so short time. And i who hardly have killed anything before...
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Member
    I don't think that a person who purchased a Crossfire motherboard for GeForce cards should attempt watercooling, let alone system assembly.

Xtreme Member
    one word comes to mind....n00b
    iRAQ - Apple's upcoming server racks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That goes to show you, do your research first. I would never build a high end PC for someone without figuring out what I needed first.

Another little genious thing I did - after destroying the Antec build, I pulled the CPU and graphics card to test them in my other system. They worked fine.
    Only thing was, when I pulled my old CPU to test the new CPU I somehow dropped it on the carpet, apparently damaging the CPU in the process.
    ... wtf? Guess he didn't know about static discharge.

D-Tek Fuzion quad nozzle & MCW30
    8800GTS 512 @820/999/1998 with a MCW60
    2xMCP655b
    1xMCR320 and 1xMCR120 with 4x Yate Loon SH's
    2x Raptor X

Lol, I always like the people that try to RMA stuff that they totally f___ed up because of their incompetence

noob? Naw, more like the bag in which female hygiene flushing products are carried.
    Ausu Maximus Formula X38
    E6850 @ 3.7
    2Gb Geil @ 800 mHz / 4-4-4-12
    2x 3870 @ 860/1200
    150 Gb Raptor + 500 Gb WD
    Cosmos S

D5 Swiftech
    TC PA120.3
    3x Scythe S-flex 1200rpm
    D-tek V2
    2x MCW60
    Micro Res
    1/2" Tygon R-3606

pump/rad/cpu/gpu/gpu/res

One person can't be that stupid.

Xtreme Addict
    That guy is giving "PC Technician" a bad name. I guess we all learn sometime, but damn!

Xtreme Member
    hopefully his friend did not pay up front.
    System1
    Intel QX6700-EVGA 680i NF68-4Gb Corsair Dominators- 2x EVGA 8800GTX in SLI...and other goodness...all packed in a Cosmos S.

System2
    Intel E8400, EVGA 790i Ultra, SLI GTX 280s, 2GB Patriot DDR3 2000, WD 150GB Raptors x2, Soundblaster Titanium, MM U2-UF0. (Fuzion v.2, EVGA Hydro16s, Swiftech 655 and 355, Thermochill 120.3 and 120.2)

Main System:
    Great wife, 2 boys, one girl, and contentment.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hopefully he does not allow his genes to be brought into this world...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Now that's a bad experience. It happens to everyone I guess but this guy seems to have no patience; plugging in the pump while the tube is diconnected, droppping the CPU on the floor.

It think alot of mistakes can happen when you rush through things without taking a step back and having some patience.....

Xtreme Member

Our modern-day society is what caused idiots like him...
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore
    Koolance - better than crack!

But just as good for you.

Xtreme Mentor
    I mean if it was the dreaded 680i, I can fully understanding, but water shooting into psu, ordering a crossfire motherboard, and destroying a cpu with static, thats just unreal LOLOL.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by freakgeek1337 View Post
    Our modern-day society is what caused idiots like him...
    I'm down with going back to pre-colonial Native American lifestyle but that might be tough at this point.... Whose with me?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdun View Post
    I'm down with going back to pre-colonial Native American lifestyle but that might be tough at this point.... Whose with me?
    Do you have to fan the cpu by hand?

Xtreme Mentor
    See, at first I thought this was Eddie that did this and I was like "WTF", right? Then I realized it was a post from another site. Personally, ***** happens, even to the best of us. Someone already made the point, patience and thinking your project through will save you money, time and most important, self respect. Anyway, hopefully the person got it worked out.

Utnorris
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    See, at first I thought this was Eddie that did this and I was like "WTF", right? Then I realized it was a post from another site. Personally, ***** happens, even to the best of us. Someone already made the point, patience and thinking your project through will save you money, time and most important, self respect. Anyway, hopefully the person got it worked out.

Utnorris
    haha wow, i thought the same thing. the whole time im reading it im like, wtf! this is Eddie! how is he capable of such stupidity??

now i have my confidence back in him again
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    haha wow, i thought the same thing. the whole time im reading it im like, wtf! this is Eddie! how is he capable of such stupidity??

now i have my confidence back in him again

Is this like that questionaire that says, only answer question 1 all the way on the top :P

Xtreme Member
    this remind anyone else of the old "after filling the case with fluid and sealing it up i flicked the switch and it died" post?
    Q9450 @3.4 (for now)
    Asus P5Q-E
    8gb Corsair XMS
    Asus GTX460 850/1000
    Corsair HX520

D-Tek Fuzion V2 w/ quadplate+MCR220+DDC3.1w/XSPC restop

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post

Is this like that questionaire that says, only answer question 1 all the way on the top :P
    ha, nice!

Banned
    Pretty hasty. I can see a water cooling newb making this mistake, but even if you are completely new to WC, you should have some common sense to make sure any dangling tubes that aren't attached to barbs are contained in a vessel to catch the water...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Hehe. I've certainly done my share of stupid things. Count me in for one dead PSU due to my stupid idea of putting a reservoir above the PSU...thankfully that's the only thing I've killed with water.

I have killed a MB by flashing it with the wrong bios, but I think that one was strategic....I managed a simpathy upgrade with the wife on that one..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You get an F

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post

haha. well i just skipped to the bold.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast