Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 334041424344 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1090

Thread: IntelBurnTest - The new stress-testing program

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Your're killing me MM. This was my go to app for stability testing. I've never gone past 20 passes. Temps always monitored and less than 75C 1366 and 1155. 10-15 passes usually prove WCG stable. Will that really kill a chip????
    My belief based on what I know is that IBT slowly degrades the chips and as such is a mistake to use it.
    You mention WCG. When I set a machine to run WCG I look for that sweet spot between high voltage and high overclock.
    When I set up the SR2 last year with the X5680's I could run 24/7 100% load at 1.35V with temps in the low 60's.
    Now I could also run that system with 1.4V at 4400 and still within what I consider safe temp margins( 65C max)
    but the increased elec draw for work done wasn't worth it.
    For testing I did push that machine to 4600 with 1.4v using WCG and it was stable with temps right at 65C
    This was with TRUE's and 113cfm Delta's
    Bottom line is test with the apps your going to run every day as each has different factors.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    My belief based on what I know is that IBT slowly degrades the chips and as such is a mistake to use it.
    You mention WCG. When I set a machine to run WCG I look for that sweet spot between high voltage and high overclock.
    When I set up the SR2 last year with the X5680's I could run 24/7 100% load at 1.35V with temps in the low 60's.
    Now I could also run that system with 1.4V at 4400 and still within what I consider safe temp margins( 65C max)
    but the increased elec draw for work done wasn't worth it.
    For testing I did push that machine to 4600 with 1.4v using WCG and it was stable with temps right at 65C
    This was with TRUE's and 113cfm Delta's
    Bottom line is test with the apps your going to run every day as each has different factors.
    Noted. Thanks for the quick reply!
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Banned
    I was referring to YOUR use of the word "scaremonger" and I'll say this politely but if you call me a troll one more time you can kiss your account here goodbye.
    Now I've been very patient with your sarcasm so be a smart guy and don't push this.
    You do not threaten my account TROLL (I did state this thread only)!

Advise you shut your mouth!

My advise to AG/OP, report him for derailing your thread which is about your kind FREE work!
    Last edited by humeyboy; 12-21-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    meh anyone that calls movieman a troll is a bit "loco"
    Not really, he was not called any names when he still came in spouting more BS and crying saying he had been called names, so his amount of posts derailing this thread is TROLLING!

Post count or any donations given in past do not change that fact and also I knew his previous post was not his last for the holidays as he just cannot help himself!

Banned
    Noted. Thanks for the quick reply!
    And running your CPU at stock also slowly degrades it, running overclocked also degrades it a big faster but still still last you more years then you will want to use it by times its old tech unless your stupid and put very high VCore/PLL through it added to not cooling it well!

Xtreme Enthusiast

My advise to AG/OP, report him for derailing your thread which is about your kind FREE work!
    Oh-oh, I know the difference between mud and crappola. Jeesh, at least you can't say you've not been warned.

Anyway, back on-topic: As someone here has mentioned, under normal operation, you have slow degradation of your CPU, as it is subject to electron-migration. If you start increasing the Vcore, you accelerate this condition in a CPU. Now, with pretty high Vcores, as well as subjecting the CPU to stability-testing, by using IBT, as an example, you may accelerate electron-migration to such a point that instead of having a CPU last 20 years+ under normal conditions, you can shorten this to mere months.

We have seen enough of the 'sudden-death' cases to realise this is a real concern.

So, humeyboy, show a bit of respect to guys like Dave (Movieman), who has been around the block more times than quite many of us here, and heed his advice, as it's good advice. Behaving like a spoilt brat is not conducive to good relations, and you can pretty quickly find yourself out in the cold.

Let's keep it civil.

ps: Dave, you can sent Dinos to Antarctica - I think the Aussies are laying claim to a 3rd territory Down Way South
    Last edited by MrBean; 12-21-2011 at 02:39 AM.
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by humeyboy View Post

You were warned but I sort of knew you'd be back and use the word so realistically you've banned yourself.
    I've seen this before. It's what I call the marytr syndrone.
    When warned the person feels compelled to push the matter even though they've been told they will be banned if they do so.
    Done
    My apologies to the rest here.
    I repeat, my only purpose in posting in this thread was concern for the members investment in their hardware and my comments were based on good info from
    two different engineers at Intel.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm grateful for that, movieman.
    I still remember when Linpack binaries first appeared, and I think they appeared during the beginning core 2 days, and there was a note saying that these binaries were used for *internal* CPU testing. But someone or something requested that they release them, and then came the "new stress tool released: now find if your cpu is truly stable! more accurate than prime" etc...

While I do understand Agentgod's point that this was used to be a time saving mechanism, I also fully understand the other person's post in that he said "there is no substitute for time."

I guess a question I can ask Movieman AND AgentGod is:
    What is more harmful to a 1.45v 5 ghz CPU?
    5 passes of Linpack/LinX/IBT, or 8 hours of prime 95?
    Which will cause more degradation?

The problem of course is, even prime 95 can degrade cpu's if they are running highly out of specification. I've already degraded two 2600k's with prime, and neither one of them even saw a linpack run, except a quick 5 loop test at 4 ghz stock voltages, which was safe, and that was a gflop test. I'm lucky that I can still do 5 ghz at 1.45v. And since I'm a gamer, after all, I think some good old Black Ops and Battlefield 3 works better for me than burning my CPU up with hours of prime.

Of course, for folders, who crunch data that needs to be accurate, prime can be a good test, but I STILL remember a post on the [H], where a person who folded 24/7 at 5 ghz 1.5v, had to reduce his overclock to 4.6 ghz after 3 months, due to degradation.

Degradation has happened to enough people now, so that no one questions whether it's "real" or not (unlike that famous GNDS thread, where many of us were called incompetent overclockers, until the problem became so widespread, no one could deny it anymore).

I guess this is all old hat now. The BIG question is how Ivy Bridge will overclock, and how well the 22nm process tolerates voltages over long term. And of course, no one will know without guinea pigs to test their processors....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    I guess a question I can ask Movieman AND AgentGod is:
    What is more harmful to a 1.45v 5 ghz CPU?
    5 passes of Linpack/LinX/IBT, or 8 hours of prime 95?
    Which will cause more degradation?
    That would IMO depend on the amount of current the application draws and how much the degradation is accelerated not only with overcurrent but time. Should be interesting to see how prime95 performs when fully optimized for AVX. BTW AFAIK Linpack is just a benchmark to measure throughput of floating point computation whilst giving an indication of instability and not as a bining tool.

While increased voltage will produce more current not many people seem to be interested in how much that current is but just interested in vcore. I would think overvoltage (a voltage that causes a junction to breakdown) will kill a cpu instantly while overcurrent would be more subtle by degrading and once degradation starts will only get worse with continually excessive load before finally failing.

So maybe the real question is how much current is too much, how far past maximum can you push and still have a decent life expectancy. Temperatures are likely to affect results too.

Movieman is beyond hilarious.... so im not even going to bother with my explanation, some peoples' "beliefs" are just.... ...

Xtreme Addict
    True and Valid?
    I fully agree with everything Movieman says. If you don't agree with him, then go blow up some chips on your own with your 8 hour linpacks. We don't need to hear about it. Seriously.

You know, insulting a mod of a forum is not the best way to keep membership here....

Xtreme Member
    I think that guy didint realize who Movieman was and that's why he went over his head...

Anyways, recently i started using this program, regardless of the dangers and i have also upgraded my RAM to 8gb from 4gb. Just by using more RAM i have noticed that my stable overclock from before wasnt stable when i used 6.5Gb ram with IBT. Now i am down by about 30mhz in order to stabilize 7 runs at 6.5GB ram (110Gflops/run). Also i found that if i stabalize my CPU with Prime 95, IBT would instantly blue screen with 101 error. IMO 5 runs per session of IBT in the course of 3-4 days(5 runs per day) is a better testing strategy for stability. This way you dont put a massive stress on your CPU at once, but rather spread it in a few days. Furthermore, the hardware would not "cook/degrage" as much and it would give you some idea of your stability. Same thing with Prime 95, it is better off to test for 1 week (30 minutes a day) rather than a 24 hour run that would damage your expensive CPU. If there is some sort of instability of the CPU it might not show up in the first day but it would eventually show up later on.

my 2cents
    Last edited by TurboDiv; 12-22-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    i9 9900K/1080 Ti

I am Xtreme
    Be quiet Dino or I'll have you put down under down under!
    Dave you sorta promised the community to put Dino down ! Just do it !

Maybe AG can make a normal version with loops selection to eg max 20 and an Extreme one clearly stating the risks of frying CPU, motherboards plus an inbuild-no-nagging tool on forums...

Merry X-mass and a happy New year.... darn them Aussies are gonna beat us belgians again by partying a day earlier... Life is so cruel..
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

I run nothing less than 2000-3000 iterations depending on memory size just for the hell of it and then drop 100Mhz. And above 1.200V may degrade the chip doing so, but <1.200 should be fine.
    i5-2500K @ 3.0Ghz

Xtreme Member
    Using IBT 2.53 to stress test my i7-2600K. It's stable for 10 runs on Standard and is Prime 95 stable for 9.5 hrs. But if I try IBT at High or Very High stress level, it fails after the 2nd run. Should I be concerned about my system stability?

Xtreme Member
    Yes.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I for one took MM's advice to heart. Instead of trying to get 15-20 IBT loops at Max stable, I just go for a 5 loop standard run. If that's stable, I go for a 5 loop test on "High." If that is stable, it's usually good enough to prevent BSOds in WCG or F@H. After that it's just about adding enough more v-core to prevent computation errors on the WUs. Quick and dirty crunch/fold worthy OCs in an hour or less. BT is valuable and I appreciate AG's work.!!! It used to take more than twice as long with P95.

Ummm... unless I'm suffering xtreme memory loss, Fugger works for Intel. How long have MM and Fugger been friends??? How many industry contacts does MM have? I wish I knew at least 10 more people like MM!!! I'd probably have to go back 50 years to find them. People that know right from wrong and tell the truth regardless of whether it is popular or will take a dollar out of their pocket are very rare today.

(Don't let that go to your head MM! You are on the FBI's most wanted list of cell phone battery killers! )
    Last edited by WFO; 05-22-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I for one took MM's advice to heart. Instead of trying to get 15-20 IBT loops at Max stable, I just go for a 5 loop standard run. If that's stable, I go for a 5 loop test on "High." If that is stable, it's usually good enough to prevent BSOds in WCG or F@H. After that it's just about adding enough more v-core to prevent computation errors on the WUs. Quick and dirty crunch/fold worthy OCs in an hour or less. BT is valuable and I appreciate AG's work.!!! It used to take more than twice as long with P95.

Ummm... unless I'm suffering xtreme memory loss, Fugger works for Intel. How long have MM and Fugger been friends??? How many industry contacts does MM have? I wish I knew at least 10 more people like MM!!! I'd probably have to go back 50 years to find them. People that know right from wrong and tell the truth regardless of whether it is popular or will take a dollar out of their pocket are very rare today.

(Don't let that go to your head MM! You are on the FBI's most wanted list of cell phone battery killers! )
    Thank you..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Updated to v2.54!
    - Linpack binaries updated (7-20-2012) + patched for AMD CPUs
    - Improved effectiveness of Xtreme Stress Mode
    .:: Gaming PC Specs ::.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.6 GHz, 1.44v (cooled by Xigmatek GAIA) [IntelBurnTest{Linpack} stable]
    GPU/Monitor: VisionTek HD 6950 @ 6970, 950 MHz/1375 MHz 1.30v + Sony BRAVIA 32EX400 1080p
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4 F5
    Memory: 16 GB (4x 4 GB) Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive: 2x Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 RAID 0 & RAID 1 (Matrix RAID) + 1x WD Caviar Black 640 GB
    Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Profess1onal, Logitech X-530
    PSU: Corsair AX-1200 (1500W PSU!)
    O/S: Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64

This thrad neds to be stickied.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

^ Agree.
    Need a Gigabyte latest BIOS?
    Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,
    GA-Z97X-SOC Force ,Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.65 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 10 x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wongnog View Post
    Using IBT 2.53 to stress test my i7-2600K. It's stable for 10 runs on Standard and is Prime 95 stable for 9.5 hrs. But if I try IBT at High or Very High stress level, it fails after the 2nd run. Should I be concerned about my system stability?
    You probably have a memory issue. Very High tries to use all the memory it can get. Do about 10 runs of memtest86+. I know 10 runs seems like overkill, however i have seen where errors did not show up until the 9th run.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

IntelBurnTest v2.54- new Linpack (11.0.1.005)

http://www.mediafire.com/?azzprpvwkonowbv

-Updated with both xeon64.exe and xeon32.exe with the newest Linpack.
    Need a Gigabyte latest BIOS?
    Z370 AORUS Gaming 7,
    GA-Z97X-SOC Force ,Core i7-4790K @ 4.9 GHz
    GA-Z87X-UD3H ,Core i7-4770K @ 4.65 GHz
    G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (12-15-14-35-CR1) @1.66V
    2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black SATA3 1TB HDD,
    Evga GTS 450 SC, Gigabyte Superb 720W
    XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
    NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
    Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 10 x64

Xtreme Member
    Havent used this program in over a decade.

So i just ran 5 loops on High for the fun of it. After 3rd run i could smell something burning, and i have never had a burning smell when using other programs in the past.

2500k @ 4.2Ghz, v1.21

As others have said, be very careful when using this program.
    Last edited by KGB7; 11-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Asus Laptop

Never had any problems with IBT. Infact, for me it has been the defacto stability test for quite a while now.

My current setup 2500k@4.7GHz has been proven stable initially upon building, and the later on when upgrading to a new bios. Running 1.32v with Silver Arrow, and my temps hover around 70c. EIST is also enabled so it's not 4.7GHz 24/7. I'm accustomed of leaving IBT running while I sleep. So my standard run is around 6-8h.

My overclocking has always been about finding the sweet spot for daily use, and not the very far end for cpuz validation screens. I gues that means I'm not that xtreme. And from the looks of it, 2500k will remain the last pinnacle of overclockable cpu's. There will probably never be such chips in the future, which makes me sad...

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 334041424344 LastLast