Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32394041424344 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1090

Thread: IntelBurnTest - The new stress-testing program

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    My two cents but I would NOT use this or anything like it for testing.
    These apps are designed to kill chips not test them in any real world way.
    Again, I know most here will disagree but this is how I feel and I'm not alone on this.
    Test with the apps that you will use.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    Movieman: i mentioned this I think it was 4 years ago (?), when the Linpack thread created all the rage here, and I got rediculously flamed for it. Gamers should game, folders/crunchers should use prime, etc. Linpack's target audience are chip relibility testing, to test and bin silicon. Definitely NOT to run overclocked, overvolted chips for hours on end with Linpack.

I mean, movieman, it's gotten a bit absurd now what people are doing here. When Linpack/IBT first came out, everyone agreed that 5 runs was enough. Then when people wanted to find any little itty ounce of instability, it became 10 runs. Now people are running these CPU killing tools *OVERNIGHT*.

Stress testing is all about making sure your hardware will work long term, reliabilty, at *STOCK* settings, and weeding out defects. That's the entire point of stress testing. Once you start throwing overvolting and overclocking into the mix, you're already running out of specification, so you can't be surprised if your CPU's wind up degrading from it (funny how so many people claimed it was a myth, but now, there are many reports from people that had to raise their once stable voltages, even in the 2600k batch thread, and the other thread on degradation, which seems to have died). As well as on other forums.

Banned
    I have no problems using these Apps but some idiots started to spread Chinese whispers that you need to run 100loops or XX hours which is totally stupidity!

I run the default 5 loops and would run say 15 at most ?(takes longer the more RAM you have if you set to use all it all!

The only software I know of that could kill hardware was that certain build of FurMark until Nvidia limited it in drivers (you could override that though) and I am sure the newer builds are a bit gentler!

I have stopped using it and use Heaven instead!

Xtreme Addict
    I just run 10 loops max memory
    Thanks for the update.
    Mpower Max | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 640black | 2tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |
    HEAT

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattle View Post
    I just run 10 loops max memory
    Thanks for the update.
    That's 10 too many!

My personal feeling is if you want to do stability tests then upclock your machine 200-300mhz above what you will run it at and then test your apps
    at that speed. If issues you'll find out and if not your fairly sure to be fine at your normal speeds and you don't risk killing your chips.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Banned
    I highly doubt the peep who kindly makes this App (freely) wants you to be scaremongering (more than once) in his thread.

I also doubt anyone here cares what you say and will do their own thing.

Your probably scared to run it as your OC (if you do OC) is not stable.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by humeyboy View Post
    1)I highly doubt the peep who kindly makes this App (freely) wants you to be scaremongering (more than once) in his thread.

2)I also doubt anyone here cares what you say and will do their own thing.

3)Your probably scared to run it as your OC (if you do OC) is not stable.
    1)The "peep" as you describe them are the ones who explained exactly what the purpose of this app was and they cringed when I told them how it was being used on XS and elsewhere. Yes, I got my info from the Intel engineers who designed this app.
    2) Now that is up to the individual. I'm just expressing my feelings.
    3)Now thats where your wrong. I do OC on everything I own and mine are stable and not just for a few seconds or minutes but for years at 100% load 24/7
    The defense rests.

Banned
    Stable in your opinion and running PI no doubt? LOL!

I know who made it but AFAIK AgentGOD has worked on it for us (I could be wrong) and I highly doubt you have inside info at Intel but many claim such things!

Do not even see the point in you posting in this thread if you dislike this App TBH!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    1)Stable in your opinion and running PI no doubt? LOL!

2)I know who made it but AFAIK AgentGOD has worked on it for us (I could be wrong) and I highly doubt you have inside info at Intel but many claim such things!

3)Do not even see the point in you posting in this thread if you dislike this App TBH!
    1) No, not PI my friend..I do DC apps where the machines run 100% load 24/7/365.25
    2) HMM, how to answer this...Ok, don't take my word for it.
    Ask around. I know a few people and one more point: I don't lie,ever.
    3) Posted to say to people that running IBT is a mistake that can have very expensive consequences.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    1) No, not PI my friend..I do DC apps where the machines run 100% load 24/7/365.25
    2) HMM, how to answer this...Ok, don't take my word for it.
    Ask around. I know a few people and one more point: I don't lie,ever.
    3) Posted to say to people that running IBT is a mistake that can have very expensive consequences.
    I have to agree with Dave on this one. IBT can do some real damage to your CPU and if they are overclocked high running this for more then one pass of the long run it truely not needed.

Run the Crunching app like Dave has said and if passes after a day you can't ask for more really.

I run many different stress tests on my rigs before I send them out. Some check out memory issues very well, other stress the caches and others this and that. I can run some Mathlab scripts that will not pass but IBT will. IBT can and will kill CPU's if run long enough, if not degrade the heck out of them for no good reason. Crap run Prime95 for a little bit and if that passes what more do you want.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The program was created to save time on CPU stability testing while at the same time being more accurate in doing so than the traditional ways (e.g. Prime95).

It was not meant to be run for an absurd number of loops (e.g. 20+, 50+, 100+) as some people here (and elsewhere) are doing.
    .:: Gaming PC Specs ::.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.6 GHz, 1.44v (cooled by Xigmatek GAIA) [IntelBurnTest{Linpack} stable]
    GPU/Monitor: VisionTek HD 6950 @ 6970, 950 MHz/1375 MHz 1.30v + Sony BRAVIA 32EX400 1080p
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4 F5
    Memory: 16 GB (4x 4 GB) Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive: 2x Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 RAID 0 & RAID 1 (Matrix RAID) + 1x WD Caviar Black 640 GB
    Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Profess1onal, Logitech X-530
    PSU: Corsair AX-1200 (1500W PSU!)
    O/S: Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64

Banned
    Correct and if idiots (2nd time I have said this) start telling peeps they need to run 100 loops etc then that is when issues can arise!

On the other side of the coin scaremongers are not really bringing anything to this thread and if not happy with this App should ignore thread!

I have not heard of anyone killing a modern CPU with it esp when the CPU will throttle and PC will no doubt BSOD/Restart!

Nothing worst than running Prime for many hours trying to reach a target of XX hours and you get up next morning and its crashed, at least if you run a few loops of this 1st it takes far less time and you know it stands a better chance of passing Prime and not wasting your time before you adjust settings to try Prime once again!

AG is there any truth that SB does not ideally like LinPack/LinX or has that been changed by updates as AFAIK this App is based opn LinPack/LinX correct?
    Last edited by humeyboy; 12-20-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AG is there any truth that SB does not ideally like LinPack/LinX or has that been changed by updates as AFAIK this App is based opn LinPack/LinX correct?
    Both IntelBurnTest and LinX are using Intel Linpack.

I don't know anything about Sandy Bridge architecture not "liking" a particular program.
    .:: Gaming PC Specs ::.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.6 GHz, 1.44v (cooled by Xigmatek GAIA) [IntelBurnTest{Linpack} stable]
    GPU/Monitor: VisionTek HD 6950 @ 6970, 950 MHz/1375 MHz 1.30v + Sony BRAVIA 32EX400 1080p
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4 F5
    Memory: 16 GB (4x 4 GB) Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive: 2x Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 RAID 0 & RAID 1 (Matrix RAID) + 1x WD Caviar Black 640 GB
    Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Profess1onal, Logitech X-530
    PSU: Corsair AX-1200 (1500W PSU!)
    O/S: Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64

Banned
    Just Chinese Whispers I have read on various sites, no biggy!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I guess that it's become fashionable to call people names when you disagree with their perspecive but be that as it may I repeat that IBT was not designed
    to be any sort of stability test but rather to root out any weak chips by putting such a heavy load on them that any potentiak weakness would cause failure.
    You folks decide for yourself whether you want to risk expensive chips by running this app.
    No I've had my 3 cents of imput and will leave this thread.
    Best of luck to you all and a safe and Happy holiday.

Banned
    Think this threads resident Troll needs to take his meds as I do not see anyone calling him names!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Think this threads resident Troll needs to take his meds as I do not see anyone calling him names!
    I was referring to YOUR use of the word "scaremonger" and I'll say this politely but if you call me a troll one more time you can kiss your account here goodbye.
    Now I've been very patient with your sarcasm so be a smart guy and don't push this.

Xtreme Legend
    lol yeah really movieman, stop being such a troll LMAO
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Legend
    lol you guys are taking this way too seriously
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    lol yeah really movieman, stop being such a troll LMAO
    Be quiet Dino or I'll have you put down under down under!

lol you guys are taking this way too seriously
    I really wasn't.. Just sharing my perspective based on what I know BUT I don't appreciate being called a troll.

Xtreme Legend
    i seriously don't think i can be any more down under (unless i go to Tasmania -errrrrrrrr)
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Legend
    meh anyone that calls movieman a troll is a bit "loco"
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    i seriously don't think i can be any more down under (unless i go to Tasmania -errrrrrrrr)
    Well, you could be "under the down under"
    Out here they find them buried outside Las Vegas but damn, you guys got the whole of the outback to "lose" someone in!

Brilliant Idiot
    IBT tests like prime 95 without the IMC stress. It's why so many ram guys love to use it for reviews and call it stable......

If it's not blend 3 hours plus it aint stable.......IMC wise

Of course running any of this crap is harmful to your system especially when running the edge of safe voltages.

Also I agree that crunching can pick up that not even stress tests can, I ran a boinc system way back in the day for dave on phase 24/7. It required more fiddling around to keep it running and error free 24/7 balls to the walls than any normal rig I have run daily.....

Side note, I know how you love car comparisons.

Buddy rips his cylinder head off, oilpan and connecting rods, and removes pistons. Hones out cylinders in car, installs new parts and cleans and reassembles it the best he can in a car.....10K later he tosses a main bearing.

Moral of story. There is no true substitute for time.

Had he built his engine properly like mine he could rev his 2.0 single overhead hampster to 9500 rpms like me and still be driving and dragging it 20K miles later.

Back to hibernation for me, see ya in a few years or so.
    Last edited by chew*; 12-20-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I guess that it's become fashionable to call people names when you disagree with their perspecive but be that as it may I repeat that IBT was not designed
    to be any sort of stability test but rather to root out any weak chips by putting such a heavy load on them that any potentiak weakness would cause failure.
    You folks decide for yourself whether you want to risk expensive chips by running this app.
    No I've had my 3 cents of imput and will leave this thread.
    Best of luck to you all and a safe and Happy holiday.
    Your're killing me MM. This was my go to app for stability testing. I've never gone past 20 passes. Temps always monitored and less than 75C 1366 and 1155. 10-15 passes usually prove WCG stable. Will that really kill a chip????
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32394041424344 LastLast