Thread: Computer Problems

Xtreme Member

Computer Problems

Okay guys, I find myself seeking people's advice!!

Two days ago I replaced the tec on my CPU to a higher rated one and got it up and running after @ 5 hours of prepping. I was able to do some benches and what not to test temps under load and since it was late I would continue the next day. Well yesterday I go to turn on my computer and I get an error code that says "CPU core voltage" and nothing. I tried resetting my mobo by unplugging and taking out the battery for overnight and still get same error code.

My question is whether this seems like a mobo or cpu problem? Also, would this possibly be from condensation forming? My first attempt at using tec's went without a hitch and have been able to use them on both my cpu and gpu. I have completely insulated my mobo but am open to the idea that something could have gone awry when reseating and sealing my block to my mobo.

Xtreme Cruncher
    hum I here what your saying but I have no idea if it would be mobo or cpu. The only thing I can think of at the moment that you should try is take the block off and check everything out inside the insulation.
    To me it sounds like your mobo just died on you but then again it sounds like your not getting good contact with the pins on the mobo and pads on the cpu.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littleowl View Post
    hum I here what your saying but I have no idea if it would be mobo or cpu. The only thing I can think of at the moment that you should try is take the block off and check everything out inside the insulation.
    To me it sounds like your mobo just died on you but then again it sounds like your not getting good contact with the pins on the mobo and pads on the cpu.
    When I turn my cpu on my hard drive spins up, my fans turn on, but within seconds my board (abit p35 pro) gives an error code about cpu voltage. Within about 10 seconds the computer completely shuts down and when rebooted does the same thing. As for contact I was thinking the same thing only I never removed the cpu from the socket but I will be giving this a try this afternoon. Thanks for the advice!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I hope you get it figured out.
    the only thing I can recommend other then try re seating everything is try the chip in another board.

[cTx]Hype
    This may sound stupid but try reconnecting the 4/8 pin connector for the cpu. It happens you spend 5 hours putting things together and you forget one small thing.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks all for the advice, but it seems as though my cpu chip needs to be reseated, at least that's what I think. I actually got my cpu back up and booting properly by just loosening the screws holding down my block to the mobo. I don't know why I did it, but I just tried to boot my cpu with the nuts completely loose (no clamping force for block to mobo) and it booted right up. I checked temps in bios and cpu was at 50c, I then shut it down, retightened the block and no boot!! I then wiggled the block around, presumably the cpu chip will move just slightly also, and bam it booted right up and actually got some tests running for @ 2 hours and bam it just shut right down. Wiggled the block again and it started right up. Therefore I feel just will need to tear down my system and try reseating my cpu, hopefully this will fix everything.

So far with the new 340 tec on my cpu I have been able to squeeze out another 100 MHZ (from 3.5 to 3.6) without any increase in voltage (1.35V in bios). Before, I would have to start upping the voltage quite abit to get good stability above 3.5 GHZ. My temps on my core also never got above 21C in Everest (cores were @ 18C) and the hot side of my tec never got above 42C. This new 340 tec runs quite hot as even on my waterchiller (temps hovering @ 6.5C) my hot side still was in the 40C range, I can just imagine without the chilled water how hot it would get. Guess I will need to invest in a better block for it rather than using the DangerDen block!! Time to save my pennies for the Wintsch water block and a new pump seeing as how I currently use 3/8" tubing.

Xtreme Addict
    Something to do with stressing the board I guess. By chance do you have a backplate? If not it should prevent the board from bowing as much.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's possible to have some condensation inside the CPU socket. Unless you filled the socket with dielectric grease.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    Something to do with stressing the board I guess. By chance do you have a backplate? If not it should prevent the board from bowing as much.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it's possible to have some condensation inside the CPU socket. Unless you filled the socket with dielectric grease.
    It does have a backplate (H-shape) but it is salvaged from a Thermaltake Big Typhoon. The board is definitely bowing even with just the slightest of tightening down of the block. I figured I would just have to live with it like that as long as the board can take it, although it is just a slight bowing effect. As for the dielectric grease I placed that within the socket, which is why I think I may need to reseat the chip. When I removed the block to replace the tec, I think the curing of the TIM caused the chip to be pulled out just slightly from the socket thereby causing the bad seating. Don't know if this makes much sense, but only thing I can think of that could've happened. As for condensation I did notice that my block was a bit tarnished except for where the contact with the chip was, that was still nice and clean. I figure I may have a pin hole of a leak, but fortunately I have used conformal coating all outside of the socket and I hope this will help.