Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My first SS unit :)

Xtreme Mentor
    xdriftorx your dad is most likely not in the trade of computer cooling, the evap is specially made for computers.

pur

this may be hard for you as i know your borrowing the refrigeration equiptment, but i would re-pipe the low side... if you want to see a picture of how the forum would recommend it lmk. a sort of U loop is best.
    mentally confused and prone to wandering

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by teyber View Post

And that plate for 10$? wow. there is nothing wrong with the plate. that thickness is very expensive for me usually. props for you for no half-a$$hing a single thing in this build
    Teyber one thing I'm sure you didn't consider about the base is thread count,since he threaded the plate. Most compressors use 1/4" x 20 tpi(threads per inch) bolts. so a 1/4" inch aluminum plate you'll get 5 threads per 1/4 inch of plate. If he used 1/8" plate he would only have 2.5 threads ,in aluminum that could easily strip out from vibration.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Member
    Indeed, I will repipe it & shorten the lineset (not excited about that) Maybe this weekend or the next. Definitely asap.

I was thinking of doing something like this.

Any benefit to getting a larger accumulator? I know, extra capacity etc. But I'm thinking more about the compressor.
    Since these are technically designed for 134a. I thought it was best not to have the low side under vacuum? Its at about -8 right now.
    I did take a little too much out. Had to put some back in so it would hold a load.

Xtreme Mentor
    btw before anybody flames i am talking to pur and he is un-properly saying bleeding but hes letting out the high side into a empty recovery tank of his hvac friends.

even thats not "ideal" per se... you can make your own accuumulator, look at .blankgod's design (not exact name sorry :/) boshuter has a good one but it traps oil.

I am Xtreme
    The saturation pressure of the refrigerant will usually be lower than the high side pressure when unit is running(most of the time,unless undercharged)so you can use the systems compressor to pump refrigerant into a recovery tank from the high side port. You can put the recovery tank in a bucket of ice water to lower the saturation pressure of the refrigerant in the recovery tank also if needed. Gives you a greater pressure difference.

Did you pass you 608 exam ?
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Mentor
    4 houres vac? Whens the last time you changed the oil in the vac pump ?
    Bring back natural selection! No more warning lables!

The one and Only MG Pony

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrzal View Post
    The saturation pressure of the refrigerant will usually be lower than the high side pressure when unit is running(most of the time,unless undercharged)so you can use the systems compressor to pump refrigerant into a recovery tank from the high side port. You can put the recovery tank in a bucket of ice water to lower the saturation pressure of the refrigerant in the recovery tank also if needed. Gives you a greater pressure difference.

Did you pass you 608 exam ?
    if your asking me yes i did

Xtreme Member
    Bucket of ice water eh? Hey I'm not removing that much, only a few ounces. No ice bucket needed. Here I'll just put the recovery tank in front of the ac unit. Ahh now I have 3 compressors in this room. I wonder if I would blow the circuit if they all came on at the same time...

-110c club
    Quote Originally Posted by pur View Post
    Indeed, I will repipe it & shorten the lineset (not excited about that) Maybe this weekend or the next. Definitely asap.

I was thinking of doing something like this.

Any benefit to getting a larger accumulator? I know, extra capacity etc. But I'm thinking more about the compressor.
    Since these are technically designed for 134a. I thought it was best not to have the low side under vacuum? Its at about -8 right now.
    I did take a little too much out. Had to put some back in so it would hold a load.
    i like your style
    hrrrm im sure ive seen that pic somewhere b4
    oh yeah its mine lol
    I LOVE LAMP!

Xtreme Member
    xdriftorx your dad is most likely not in the trade of computer cooling, the evap is specially made for computers.

no no hes not in the trade of computer cooling, but the trade of HVAC stuff. he does it as his day job, so i mean...he knows what needs to go where and how to braze and solder with an acetylene torch.
    Case---------CM Cosmos (http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=194812 )
    Power Supply-CM RealPower 850W
    Processor-----Intel Q6600 SLACR @ 3.6ghz 1.44v
    Motherboard--DFI x48 UT-T2R
    RAM----------G Skill Black Pi 2x2GB DDR2-900 @ 450mhz 4-3-3-6 CR1
    GPU----------Dual GTX 275 896MB (usually stock speeds)
    HDD----------Dual VelociRaptor 150GB(Raid 0) 320GB Backup
    Audio--------Razer AC-1 (On sale on woot for 50$ )
    Mouse/KB----Razer Copperhead/Logitech G15
    Watercooling: AquaComputer Cuplex HD, MCW 60's, 2x120mm Radiator, MCP655, EK Multi-Res

Xtreme Member
    Finally, the re-pipe is done.

So I shortened up the wiring on the back and replaced both the shrader valves. The back one stuck out a little too much and the high side had a small leak with the cap off. The situation with the cap tube is sad, but the accumulator was an after thought. It works great though.

I'm also surprised every day how good of pics the iphone takes.

The accumulator certainly solved the floodback issue. Its tuned and purring along just fine.

I have my Q66 @ 4.3ghz 1.5v, temps are -30 idle and -20 load.

Im pleased.

Xtreme Member
    Hey could anyone recommend a good thermal paste for sub-zero applications? Right now I'm just using some nameless grey paste.

Xtreme Mentor
    hey as i said on msn there is no way for oil to get back to the compressor :/

Xtreme Addict
    hey as i said on msn there is no way for oil to get back to the compressor :/

Sure there is; the same way the refrigerant removes heat from the evaporator.

Xtreme Mentor
    Killermiller-

The accumulator has a input that feeds to the bottum and the exit that comes from the top of that tube. Correct me if im wrong but the only way for the oil to return would be if it fills the entire tube full of oil until it starts to feed back into exit

Xtreme Addict
    Killermiller-

The accumulator has a input that feeds to the bottum and the exit that comes from the top of that tube. Correct me if im wrong but the only way for the oil to return would be if it fills the entire tube full of oil until it starts to feed back into exit
    Not exactly. All the oil that gets in the accumulator gets there because it was once carried by that refrigerant vapor, which means as the accumulated liquid refrigerant vaporizes, it carries the oil back. Even if his accumulator did fill with oil, there wouldn't be any shortage of oil in the compressor, the accumulator just wouldn't accumulate any more.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Not exactly. All the oil that gets in the accumulator gets there because it was once carried by that refrigerant vapor, which means as the accumulated liquid refrigerant vaporizes, it carries the oil back. Even if his accumulator did fill with oil, there wouldn't be any shortage of oil in the compressor, the accumulator just wouldn't accumulate any more.
    Yeah, I agonized about putting in a tiny hole for oil return. I didn't.

After much thought I think the system is just too small for it to be an issue.
    I've bled a tiny amount off the high side just a few minutes ago, and its still as oily as ever. When I power the system down you can hear gas boiling out of the accumulator for almost 5 min or so.

If not how long could a system run with oil trapped in the accumulator? Its been going since sunday just fine. (almost 24/7)

Crunching for Poppabear
    Very nice build you have there.

Xtreme Member
    NICE!!!!!! man you have great skills this is supreme!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123