Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first SS unit :)

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I actually wanted to get a piece of Alu with a #6 or #8 finish, but at the time they didn't have any. So i just took a scrap piece. It was 21" by 10.5" when I got it, then I cut it down and beveled the edges.

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Who cares about a pice of underlying plate

Your build ROCKS
    i see somthing great up the road for you pur
    Im sure you will have ALOT of fun with this
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Member
    Man, great looking work there mate! Congrats on an ultra clean first build!

Getting back to the desuperheater: I really like long desuperheater coils...but mainly just because I think they are a cool-looking art form. Although the returns won't be great I know you'll get a little extra condensation from the extra length and plenty of vibration absorption.

Anyway, keep us posted with plenty of pictures and tuning results. Great work mister...you have much to be proud of.

Xtreme Addict
    Why would he get more condensation from the coil?

Xtreme Mentor
    i think he ment condensing
    mentally confused and prone to wandering

Xtreme Member
    Thank you Teyber, you are right indeed.

Note to self: Drink caffeinated beverage BEFORE posting in the morning.

Although I just had a thought...truth be known you will get more "condensation" from the larger desuperheater...but that condensation will be in the form of the gas on the interior of the system condensing. No reference to moisture in from the ambient air condensing on the unit whatsoever. So I retract my statement...caffeinated beverages are optional before posting in the morning.
    Last edited by one_servant; 08-04-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Brainstorm. :)

Xtreme Member
    Hehe, well thanks guys. I'll have some more pics up this sunday. As for sanding the joints, I probably will not but who knows.
    Depends if i'm bored.

Xtreme Member
    Finished. Posted this from a phaz cooled pc

Cleaned up the evap.

Sealed up those spaces with some silicone later on.

1" walled round and flat armaflex

The Before pic

Yay

Not a really important pic, I just thought the small caps looked neat...

The Mobo, after I applied a clear coat of nail polish. Hard to see...

1/2HP vacuum pump.

Pulled it down to about 220 microns before i filled it. Took about 4 hours to get it there, must have been some moisture in the system...

OOOOH YEAH

I started off by putting 8.5 ounces of 404A in (no load tester), although a little bit probably got bled off as when I was running it the shrader valve got so cold it didn't seal right away.

Don't have a temp prob installed yet, but core temp just shows 7,7,8,8 constantly until I load, which then it goes to about 10,10,14,14 Proc is at 1.46v 4212mhz (Q6600) Will try more speed later, but I need to put more gas in.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome, but I did do something very stupid. I now realize that I made the lineset way way to long (3ft). If it was shorter it could have fit in my Mountain mod case, but even then it would have been a tight squeeze. I think I'm going to end up making an external enclosure out of metal or plexy glass and mount it to the top of my case. I feel this is the only option as I do not want to redo the unit anytime soon.

Woot.

Oh, I have occasionally been hearing a slight gurgling sound. like water flowing through a tube. I know the its not popping, but still. Odd noise.
    What could that be?

-pur

-150c Club Member
    Oh, I have occasionally been hearing a slight gurgling sound. like water flowing through a tube. I know the its not popping, but still. Odd noise.
    What could that be?
    That's the result of plumbing a flex right into the suction on one of these units, its probably when your CPU is less loaded, and yes that is floodback, but only slight.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    That's the result of plumbing a flex right into the suction on one of these units, its probably when your CPU is less loaded, and yes that is floodback, but only slight.
    Oh, well. I could raise the entire unit above the the cpu, probably by a foot.
    This way the suction would be going uphill. Would that help?

-150c Club Member
    Maybe a bit, best would be to replumb it when you have time. Also vs that gluey stuff and big sheets of neoprene/foam, try armaflex tape

Xtreme Mentor
    lol i have the same vacuum pump(15600), same vacuum gauge, same manifold nice taste

btw yeah as nol said thats floodback. do you hear it when the unit runs with no cpu or do you hear it when its loaded?

Try taking off that insulation on the compressor...

btw- do any of you think that not having a U on the return would make floodback worse>

pur- floodback is liquid going back to the compressor. this means its overcharged. liquid is not compressable- this can break the valves in the compressor, many other things can go wrong. its best to fix this :/ the compressor will have a very short life if it experiences floodback somewhat often

edit- yup as nol said

Xtreme Member
    Alright, I pulled of the evap and added a temp sensor. It's wedged pretty damn tight between the evap and the insulation wall (side of the evap) I also reseated it, looks like it only had contact with about 50% of the IHS surface.

With the current charge, it sits at -22c idle and -10/11c load. So, if I wanted to alleviate the minor floodback, could I raise the voltage? I want to push past 4.2 anyways. I can get it to boot into windows at 4.4 (not prime stable at 4.4 though, yet...)

So maybe a voltage bump to 1.5v? I know that I will probably have to bleed some off anyways for when its idle, but I would still like your input.
    Its odd that I didn't hear this at all when I ran the unit with 0 load. I ran it for about 5 min. The gurgling happens probably every 5 or 10 min, and seems to not to change whether im idle or loaded. For reference, I'm using prime95 25.6.

Also, Should I now go by my direct external temp senor temps? It seems like core temp gives bogus results when below 0c.
    Last edited by pur; 08-26-2008 at 10:11 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    man exellent build ! gonna use this thread as my referance when eye do it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

-110c club
    Quote Originally Posted by pur View Post
    Alright, I pulled of the evap and added a temp sensor. It's wedged pretty damn tight between the evap and the insulation wall (side of the evap) I also reseated it, looks like it only had contact with about 50% of the IHS surface.

With the current charge, it sits at -22c idle and -10/11c load. So, if I wanted to alleviate the minor floodback, could I raise the voltage? I want to push past 4.2 anyways. I can get it to boot into windows at 4.4 (not prime stable at 4.4 though, yet...)

So maybe a voltage bump to 1.5v? I know that I will probably have to bleed some off anyways for when its idle, but I would still like your input.
    Its odd that I didn't hear this at all when I ran the unit with 0 load. I ran it for about 5 min. The gurgling happens probably every 5 or 10 min, and seems to not to change whether im idle or loaded. For reference, I'm using prime95 25.6.

Also, Should I now go by my direct external temp senor temps? It seems like core temp gives bogus results when below 0c.
    try everest i found it is the same temp as the prob on cpu head and may be a tune to super heat would be better as less chance of flood back and is sutable under load as i have found with mine. what cap tube size and lenth did you use?

oh and great work on the build the alloy is great love it
    Last edited by EvoCarlos; 08-26-2008 at 01:52 PM.
    I LOVE LAMP!

Xtreme Member
    I used 7' of .28

I've bled some off, and while the temps have improved. The gurgling noise happens maybe once every 30 min. So a little more to go. It sounds more like a slight drip noise when it happens now anyways. I raised the Voltage to 1.52 and now it idles at -24c and loads at about -14c.

Xtreme Mentor
    Does it sound more like gurgling or like boiling?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teyber View Post
    Does it sound more like gurgling or like boiling?
    More like dripping, or more like that now. Or say what it would sound like if you poured a few ounces of liquid into a toilet.

Xtreme Member
    Could this be oil that i am hearing? I have bled quite a bit of gas out.

Also, after my most recent gas bleed (about 5min) I decided to hook the gauges up and see whats going on.

Idle, it quickly pulls the low side down to 0, high is about 250

Loaded, the low is 5, and the high stays at about 250

Whet I started it up this time it did the gurgling thing again, but this time it was more sustained, and almost sounded like it was squirting in there. Then it stopped completely (still idle in windows at this point)

????

-150c Club Member
    side of the compressor by the suction cold? That stills light floodback.

Xtreme Member
    how much did the compressor and everything run you? my dad is in the trades and could help me with this...i think it'd be awsome to build something like this, if it donest break the piggy bank. also, do you think you could post the compressor and everything used?

wicked build by the way

also my dad was wondering wehre you got the cylinder and base plate.

thanks!
    Last edited by xdrift0rx; 08-26-2008 at 05:51 PM.
    Case---------CM Cosmos (http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=194812 )
    Power Supply-CM RealPower 850W
    Processor-----Intel Q6600 SLACR @ 3.6ghz 1.44v
    Motherboard--DFI x48 UT-T2R
    RAM----------G Skill Black Pi 2x2GB DDR2-900 @ 450mhz 4-3-3-6 CR1
    GPU----------Dual GTX 275 896MB (usually stock speeds)
    HDD----------Dual VelociRaptor 150GB(Raid 0) 320GB Backup
    Audio--------Razer AC-1 (On sale on woot for 50$ )
    Mouse/KB----Razer Copperhead/Logitech G15
    Watercooling: AquaComputer Cuplex HD, MCW 60's, 2x120mm Radiator, MCP655, EK Multi-Res

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xdrift0rx View Post
    how much did the compressor and everything run you? my dad is in the trades and could help me with this...i think it'd be awsome to build something like this, if it donest break the piggy bank. also, do you think you could post the compressor and everything used?

wicked build by the way
    Cost me about 350$ to do this, but I already had a lot of the needed equipment.
    Here is same build log in another forum, it just includes the "parts section", didn't put here for obvious reasons.

http://www.pdxlan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5553

-------

Ok, bled more, and more, and more. I must have had a serious overcharge. I wonder why i heard no popping from backflow?

Now where the suction meets the compressor, its cool. But not enough to make frost, or even condensate. I pulled off that flat piece of armaflex and surprise surprise, I found an ice cube!

low side is now -10, high about 180.
    Idle temps are -35c load is still iffy as I'm tweaking the oc. Voltage has remained at 1.52 though.

Thanks nol & teyber
    Last edited by pur; 08-26-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Xtreme Member
    hate to post again but i dont think you'll go back and read my edit

where did you get the copper cylinder for the processor and the plate to mount around it. thanks =)
    Watercooling: AquaComputer Cuplex HD, MCW 60's, 2x120mm Radiator, MCP655, EK Multi-Res

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xdrift0rx View Post
    hate to post again but i dont think you'll go back and read my edit

where did you get the copper cylinder for the processor and the plate to mount around it. thanks =)
    Well, Check the link I posted. At the top of the first post there is a link to UTI. Although, the compressor i have and the round copper thing (aka the evaporator) are no longer sold there. You can still get the actual copper piece (just the evap), but he's not selling mounts atm....

Xtreme Member
    my dad is in the trades and can get all this from warehouses pretty much, he just said he's never seen the evap before. i guess my only issue then is finding a way to mount it.

thanks for the quick responses btw.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast