Thread: Folding@Home Stickies Database: Instructions, Guides etc

Great, thanks riptide!
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    Great, thanks riptide!
    Now I need advice and suiggestions and opinions.

I'm going through the setup guides linked in my sig to see if they are up to date enough to use (I realized how old they are!). Will let you know on that.

That F@H tweaking guide is outdated so it doesn't need to be there in the list I don't think.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    I'm going through the setup guides linked in my sig to see if they are up to date enough to use (I realized how old they are!). Will let you know on that.

That F@H tweaking guide is outdated so it doesn't need to be there in the list I don't think.
    Ok... gone it is.,..

Xtreme Cruncher
    Very nice, i like things to always been clean, simple and tidy
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Da Goose
    Very nice riptide

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

Well is there anything else needs to be added? DAK? You been here one of the longest. Any threads that are buried that need to be revived that are of the upmost importance?

Attack Dachshund
    this has been out for a little while publicly, but has been in the beta forums at FAH for a while... due to all the user complaints about not having good install guides.

they now have official install guides at fah... http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=5057

Thanks MIKE.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks Mike, looks like i finally got it working..................however i'm a little confused. I configured it and started it from the cmd prompt running as an Administrator, i put the flags in there under "Additional parameters" just how the guide says. If i start it from the exe in the installation folder i get a command window that asks for my user name If i run it from a cmd window it runs just fine, but i'd like an easier way to start it. I know Mike leaves icons on his desktop, i'd like to do that and then just move the icon to the rocketdock

Also when i ran the exe with -configonly, right after i hit "y" under advanced options it gave me a message that there was a conflict with Machine IDs. I disabled the services for the previous two consoles and deleted all the files, the GPU client is set to machine ID 2 now and i made the SMP number 1. As long as it works i guess it's no big deal............

Ok now it's getting on my nerves!!! I put a shortcut on the desktop, added -configonly and set it up, replaced it with smp and verbosity 9 and it's running, except in FahMon it has my username as Anonymous!?!?! WTF?
    Last edited by Kingcarcas; 08-31-2008 at 10:42 PM.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580

Attack Dachshund
    this is how I run my smp's King http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=199283

I haven't gone through those fah guides, since I've been using my own method long before those existed... mine (linked) is much shorter and easier....

btw: I never use that -configonly flag.. you can accomplish the same thing by just deleting the client.cfg file and restarting the client with your existing flags.. that way you never have to mess with the flags. it'll recreate the client.cfg file when you restart if it's missing and make you run through the config questions again...

your username is anonymous because the client.cfg file is missing a username... forget to type it maybe? I dunno... either do what I said above and answer the ques again...
    or eventhough fah says dont do this, you can edit client.cfg with notepad, but if you mess up any of the synax it will fubar..

anyway, this is a stickies thread.. so lets not turn it into a client install questions thread... I was just adding the official fah install guides (now that they finally have some) to this thread.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks, i'll try that one now. I deleted the work folder and queue.dat last night when i saw it was running the single core client, DOH! I got it back to SMP except it doesn't have my name, i hope i can fix it without losing the 25% i have complete.

Do you guys think it's safe to move the shortcut to the startup folder like i do with the GPU client?
    Last edited by Kingcarcas; 09-01-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580

Attack Dachshund
    it's not that simple with smp, if you want it to start with windows, you need to use the smp "setup as service" instrcutions... I've always used manual, bcacuse I always have a need to clear eue's and restart clients with manual maint.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I know why it doesn't want to use my name, it's an issue with machine IDs, for some reason switching to SMP i couldn't use machine ID 1 since the previous console client had it(i deleted the files and disabled the service) I switched GPU to "2" and now it's a total mess going back to two consoles. When i setup the second one, i moved the GPU to 3 and now it gives me that same message about an issue with Machine IDs, it shows up as "anonymous" in fahmon and it's not even running Urgghh i should have not even gone back to messing with SMP, i'll wait until i have a proper quad core Nehalem.
    Last edited by Kingcarcas; 09-02-2008 at 12:08 AM.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580

Banned
    I didn't know Xilikon had finished them already, things move fast ( suddenly, don't think it has to be repeated how long the community has asked for this ).

I hope they will maintain the guides this time

Banned
    Riptide I think it's time for the sticky link to go to http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Guide ?

Atm, the gpu2 goes to [H] through a post in a thread you link to and some of the other faq's here aren't as up to date as the official one's are.

I know Xilikon didn't make the official guides for nothing They are even more up to date as some of the content on [H] we're linking to atm.

And the goal of the consolidated guide section is to prevent this cross linking and maybe outdated information.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Marvin_The_Martian; 09-13-2008 at 09:41 AM.

1st link to official guide.

Updated... I let a few stickies go and added them to the 1st post.

Attack Dachshund
    I backed up my 2 little guides on my site in html, in case the threads go haywire and get lost...

SMP Dual Client Install Guide for Intel Quads

Nvidia DUAL GPU FOLDING GUIDE - The Easy Way

Xtreme Member
    I didn't notice anywhere how I can transfer my points from another team over to this one. Is that because you can't do that?

Is switching teams a simple case of changing my client configs to point at team 36362 and restarting the clients? Do you have to start from zero?

Apologies for the noob question, but I can't find an answer to this anywhere.
    [-Stash-] Do Not Disturb. Already Disturbed.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yep, accumulated points do not transfer.
    But yes, changing is as simple as you describe - put 36362 in there and FOLD ON! Your individual points will still be amassed by the server, and you'll be able to see your contributions at your previous teams.

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

W.Feather
    As said make sure you just change your config to the new team, personal points remain, however they are not moved to the new team. There is no such thing as a noob question.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Stash-] View Post
    I didn't notice anywhere how I can transfer my points from another team over to this one. Is that because you can't do that?

Is switching teams a simple case of changing my client configs to point at team 36362 and restarting the clients? Do you have to start from zero?

Apologies for the noob question, but I can't find an answer to this anywhere.