Thread: [News] Google Nougat Powered Pixel and Pixel XL

[News] Google Nougat Powered Pixel and Pixel XL

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/goo...-pixel-xl.html

Google Nexus is no more meet Google Pixel. Google has revealed two new phones that will offer an alternative to Apple's popular iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

The search giant has been producing its own Android-based phones for the last few years under the "Nexus" brand - but no more. It comes in two sizes: a 5-inch model with an HD display and a 5.5-inch model with a QHD display. Prices start at $649 for a 32GB model, which is more expensive than we?re used to from Nexus devices. But this isn?t a Nexus, it?s a Pixel, and so it?s priced at the high end. You can see the result of that pricing in the speedy components inside the phone and also in the fit and finish of the outside. The Gorilla Glass on the front curves subtly into the sides and the OLED screen is bright and responsive. And yes, there is a 3.5mm headphone jack reports the verge.

HTC may have manufactured it, but it didn?t design it. Unlike Nexus phones, the Pixel was designed by Google from start to finish and isn?t based on a previous HTC device. That control shows when you turn the phone on and start interacting with it. The software seems faster and smoother than any Android phone I?ve used before ? though of course I?ll need to spend more time with it to say that is definitively true. The powerful Snapdragon 821 processor and 4GB of RAM certainly help, but we?ve seen powerful specs on phones before. This time around, Google tells me that it?s optimized all sorts of things to optimize touch response.

Xtreme Guru
    Honestly, I think it looks like an uglier iPhone and is priced way out of its bracket.

I'm frankly shocked they think this will compete well with the S7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

it is worse than the 6p in every way other than the updated cpu.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    it is worse than the 6p in every way other than the updated cpu.
    Well, it also has more RAM and more storage available. Better camera on the one.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Well, it also has more RAM and more storage available. Better camera on the one.
    Maybe, but RAM shortage rarely is an issue, and the Samsungs have owned best camera for a few years now (though the iPhone 7 Plus may have stolen that crown).

I just fail to see why Google feels this is a premium product. I would venture as far as to say some of the chinese phones are more premium looking.

.....}

Regards, Hans

the 6p has 32, 64, or 128GB, the pixel is 32 or 128GB, the ram is meh since other 4GB phones showed no benefit, and the camera is the same (the front did get a new one but who needs more than 1080p front facing.) they showed the stabilizer software and while cool was already in 7.0.

the front face is the same size but a smaller screen, it lost front facing and stereo speakers, it has a glass back (not a gorilla or other glass like actual glass) so it will crack like every other one, it was reported to have a lower quality feeling back aluminum piece, and it costs a third more. the worst part though us that they are even letting verizon and other carriers choose if they want to lock the boot loader, if they concede on that they might have special keys for those brands phones and also might not have updates from google.

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Maybe, but RAM shortage rarely is an issue, and the Samsungs have owned best camera for a few years now (though the iPhone 7 Plus may have stolen that crown).

I just fail to see why Google feels this is a premium product. I would venture as far as to say some of the chinese phones are more premium looking.
    the nexus has had the best camera or the last year, short of sony who put a real cameras sensor is their phone recently, the problem has been that google delayed their updated app so you have to buy an app to use the camera properly. 7.1 gets the new app so even though they are using the same rear camera it should be the best.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 10-05-2016 at 01:43 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

I was going by the chart and didn't see the larger capacities.

Not saying I'd buy one. I'm perfectly happy with my S7. Well, aside from the glass back that cracked when it slipped out of my pocket and fell 4 inches onto my driveway. Must have hit one of the little "peaks" that give the concrete its texture because I can't think of any other reason why it would have cracked. At least it wasn't the screen.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I was going by the chart and didn't see the larger capacities.

Not saying I'd buy one. I'm perfectly happy with my S7. Well, aside from the glass back that cracked when it slipped out of my pocket and fell 4 inches onto my driveway. Must have hit one of the little "peaks" that give the concrete its texture because I can't think of any other reason why it would have cracked. At least it wasn't the screen.
    the new gorilla glass is anecdotally much less resistant to breaking on screen contact.

Xtreme Member
    Friggin pricey and not available in Canada yet. Google is pathetic with their phone launches
    say it ain't so Joe............SEO Services SEO Business

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    The nexus has had the best camera or the last year, short of sony who put a real cameras sensor is their phone recently, the problem has been that google delayed their updated app so you have to buy an app to use the camera properly. 7.1 gets the new app so even though they are using the same rear camera it should be the best.
    I think part of camera rating comes from the image stabilization software. Apple is proof that your app can make or break an imager.

Eitherway, doesn't change the fact this literally looks like an uglier iPhone.

.....}

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    I think part of camera rating comes from the image stabilization software. Apple is proof that your app can make or break an imager.

Eitherway, doesn't change the fact this literally looks like an uglier iPhone.
    i am 100% with you, they just took all of the good will and design language from the nexus and threw it out to make an iphone clone. although when you go HTC do you really expect anything else. they are still mad that apple stole their design language so they keep making things that look like apple since apple looked like them at one point.

Xtreme Addict
    Meh, predicting Nexus 6 like slow adoption rates or worse. People spending iphone money expect iphone level experience and polish.
    My 6P will serve fine for another year, at that point maybe I'll grab a Pixel XL if I can find it for 40-50% off new.