Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Deneb 45nm Benchmarks

More Deneb 45nm Benchmarks

The person that posted the Deneb Super Pi scores on the Chinese forum a few weeks ago has posted some more Deneb benchmarks: Cinebench; 3DMark Vantage; Fritz Chess; Sandra; Winrar; & Everest. Unlike the Super Pi results, which showed Deneb performing about 12% better than Agena, these latest tests show basically no improvement over Agena, with some tests actually showing markedly lower performance.

The tests were conducted at 2.3GHz & 3.27GHz

Cinebench

By comparison, my Phenom 9850 @ 2.3GHz scores 2012 & 7330.

Fritz Chess

By comparison, my Phenom @ 2.3GHz scores 5462

3DMark Vantage

I don't use Vista, but looking up Phenom scores on Futuremark's site shows that the 3.27GHz Deneb CPU score is about equal to a 2.9GHz Agena score.

Winrar

The poster mentions something about a "bug" in his comments on this test.

Everest

Sandra

Strange results for the most part, to say the least.

Source:

http://www.itocp.com/thread-12164-1-1.html

I am Xtreme
    seems like the mem controller is still unfinished, but damn the 3rd level cache is fast

Xtreme Addict
    Interesting. Keep in mind this is a first revision chip so it most certainly is going o have bugs. I wouldn't expect too much from Deneb in terms of IPC though.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Member
    This is the first stepping out of the fab. I wouldn't be too concerned about it not performing well. Clearly there is a bug with the chip given the subpar memory performance.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz - Asus P6T Deluxe X58 - 6GB (2GBx3) G. SKILL DDR3-1600 @ 8-8-8-20 - 2 x EVGA GTX 280 1GB SLI - Corsair TX750 PSU - Windows Vista HP 64-bit

Xtreme Addict
    lol, weird.

Prolly some bugs though, but the tester typed bug already before he started any bench as well. And also, did you do your tests with 1.8Ghz NB btw? Because Deneb will run 1.8Ghz NB but the Agena BE's run it at 2Ghz. Not much but it might matter.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hornet331, fast!?
    The L3 cache on the 9850 BE is way faster than that:

Banned
    and this surprises you guys?!?!? this IS amd we are talking about, the only thing they do good is gpu's so eveyone holding their breath for a goodamd cpu may as well exhale now ( not trying to troll, but c'mon seriously)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrown23 View Post
    and this surprises you guys?!?!? this IS amd we are talking about, the only thing they do good is gpu's so eveyone holding their breath for a goodamd cpu may as well exhale now ( not trying to troll, but c'mon seriously)
    that's nonsense. you're not trying to troll, but actually it's exactly what you're doing

ont: even if this batch has still bugs the scores are extremely low compared to current phenoms.
    even though, it's pointless to bench such an early ES if bugs are causing these low performance...
    1. Asus P5Q-E / Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @~3612 MHz (8,5x425) / 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC (PC2-8000U, CL5) / EVGA GeForce GTX 570 / Crucial M4 128GB, WD Caviar Blue 640GB, WD Caviar SE16 320GB, WD Caviar SE 160GB / be quiet! Dark Power Pro P7 550W / Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA / LG L227WT / Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 // SysProfile

2. Asus A8N-SLI / AMD Athlon 64 4000+ @~2640 MHz (12x220) / 1024 MB Corsair CMX TwinX 3200C2, 2.5-3-3-6 1T / Club3D GeForce 7800GT @463/1120 MHz / Crucial M4 64GB, Hitachi Deskstar 40GB / be quiet! Blackline P5 470W

Xtreme Addict
    WTF, get a clue.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by doompc View Post
    Hornet331, fast!?

deneb has 200% more cache, so i call this fast.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    It's relatively fast yes. However if you see the RAM bandwith as well, I think there's an issue with the NB. A bit early to comment on it, thus far it seems to OC quite well though. I hope they get the little bugs/flaws fixed soon though.

I dont want another TLB fiasco, nor do I think AMD can actually afford to have that.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by doompc View Post
    Hornet331, fast!?

Looking at what a C2D can do those numbers are really
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Member
    Looking at winrar and Everest numbers, TLB patch is applied.

My guess: due to it is a very early stepping, it suffers TLB bug too.
    Last edited by PetNorth; 08-01-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    It's not fast at all, no matter how much cache is onboard. Agena's cache was already very slow. Nehalem has 8MB of L3 and its cache is a good 50% faster than the L3 of the 9850/9950, and that's for the slowest model (2.66GHz).

There is clearly something wrong with the NB of C0 Deneb. Normally there are going to be performance problems with the first revision of any chip.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz - Asus P6T Deluxe X58 - 6GB (2GBx3) G. SKILL DDR3-1600 @ 8-8-8-20 - 2 x EVGA GTX 280 1GB SLI - Corsair TX750 PSU - Windows Vista HP 64-bit

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by PetNorth View Post

QFT.

that is pointless benchmarking right there.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Addict
    So was your method the same back when AMD was on top and Intel could not compete? Were we just saposed to say "Oh well, we can never expect a good CPU from Intel again because well, its just Intel".

Good thing your not trolling
    Last edited by G0ldBr1ck; 08-01-2008 at 04:55 PM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by PetNorth View Post

Well, my guess it is just a rough engineering sample and there are bugs to squash and BIOS opts to do... the data is sketchy at best and probably should not be taken seriously -- at least I hope not.

But AMD would need to be utterly stupid to propagate the TLB bug into their shrink.... this is inconceivable.

EDIT: The more I look at the data, the more I am convinced that the early engineering revision simply needs some work either this is an early stepping and not what will launch or the BIOS still needs to be worked over to tweak up the IMC. I put no faith in these numbers.

Jack
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 08-01-2008 at 04:47 PM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Mentor
    Well -- I don't think you will find too many people here that will not admit that AMD had a rough couple of years and did not execute well, but AMD has been stellar in the past ... it is in the best interest of anyone who enjoys comuting as a hobby that AMD brings out a strong product this next round.

Jack
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's pretty obvious that they're not going to release a chip that's actually worse than the original. Unless they're doing a Prescott, although, I kinda doubt them to be that stupid.

Either it's due to the early chip, or maybe the BIOS/motherboard recognizes it as an early stepping Barcelona for some reason and applies the TLB patch?

Either way I sure hope this will be a sweet alternative to Nehalem, I probably won't buy it myself (never say never though) but every Shanghai sold will fund the development of Bulldozer.

Xtreme Addict
    nehalem has 8 virtual cores, it's going to be tough to beat in any modern benchmark that is fully multithreaded.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Banned
    guys I used to use amd even when they sucked for years, like I said I wasn't trying to troll, but let's face it, at this point in time gpu's are what they do best, and as long as they stick with the same cpu diagram (wich is essentially what they are doing to cut the cost of changing to new technology) they will continue to fail. Sure they have 45 nm but they just took a regular amd cpu and shoved a smaller die in it, but if the diagram wasn't working (enthusiast wise) before then it wont now. Sure intel just shrunk their dies but they did it on proven to work technology.

Xtreme Cruncher
    guys I used to use amd even when they sucked for years, like I said I wasn't trying to troll, but let's face it, at this point in time gpu's are what they do best, and as long as they stick with the same cpu diagram (wich is essentially what they are doing to cut the cost of changing to new technology) they will continue to fail. Sure they have 45 nm but they just took a regular amd cpu and shoved a smaller die in it, but if the diagram wasn't working (enthusiast wise) before then it wont now. Sure intel just shrunk their dies but they did it on proven to work technology.
    Except that the same very thing was said for ATI. No one is expecting a 4800 series here, but a solid 3800 would be nice, making enough improvements on the architecture to make things viable again. Sure, we could just ignore AMD and assume they are dead, but why? There isn't anything wrong with being interested in what AMD or even hoping that something might actually surprise us.

Xtreme Guru
    i wouldnt say "doomed", but they certainly havent had a shortage of horse crap products thats for sure lol

Xtreme Guru
    Obviously this thread is worthless.
    Pre-production glitches at play.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Addict
    I think they already started to shrink Deneb before the TLB bug was made known, or fix. So it was technically done in late 07/very early 08.

Why don't someone disable it through the MSR paths?
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast