Thread: Thermaltake DuOrb CPU Cooler Review [ER]

Xtreme Member

Thermaltake DuOrb CPU Cooler Review [ER]

Hey guys, I'm glad that you offered a ton of constructive help for my last review. I worked pretty hard on this review, all constructive criticism is appreciated.

Computers have evolved exponentially in the past few years, but types have cooling have remained the same. Air cooling has reached its maximum potential, for the most part, and all manufacturers can do is fine-tune the current designs to try and squeeze out every bit of performance possible. Bah?! What am I saying? Companies such as Thermaltake have been around since the late 90's, and they know the ropes when it comes to pleasing enthusiasts. Thermaltake has been known to completely redefine the cooling components of our computers.Times have changed; CPUs have been updated from 90nm, to 65nm, to recently 45nm. Thermaltake has coped with this change by introducing the new Duorb CPU cooler! Unlike the traditional CPU coolers, the DuOrb branches off into two separate copper heatsinks, each cooled by 80mm fans. I'll be reviewing this new innovative cooler today by comparing it to other well-known CPU coolers on the market. This heatsinks retails for $64.99 at Newegg. Click here for more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Lots of better review than last time.

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

so what was the was the ambient, and it dosnt say that they let the as5 set
    Last edited by zanzabar; 07-29-2008 at 09:18 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogPO View Post
    Lots of better review than last time.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    so what was the was the ambient, and it dosnt say that they let the as5 set
    "Note: Each heatsink was installed three times for best results, and the room had a consistent ambient temperature of 23ºC. AS5 thermal paste was used throughout all of the testing to ensure legitimate results. I let the CPU idle for fifteen minutes to reach a stable temperature, and then ran Orthos for thirty minutes at a time for each heatsink at each setting. "

It's kind of mingled with a bunch of other stuff, so it's easy to miss. All the heatsinks were used with fresh AS5; no cure times. No heatsink got an unfair advantage over another.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    wonder how well the design would work with 120mm fans and more fins...

or three 80mm fans/sections

Or how about DuORB+120Extreme, So a Rised part in the middle, 2 80mm on the base, and then you can stick 2 120mm on the raised part lol
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob-ftw View Post
    Hey guys, I'm glad that you offered a ton of constructive help for my last review. I worked pretty hard on this review, all constructive criticism is appreciated.

"Computers have evolved exponentially in the past few years, but types have cooling have remained the same."
    huh? dude, no!!

and then calling a caliper/vernier a beast? WTF?
    Last edited by Dave_Sz; 07-30-2008 at 09:01 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I dislike these sort of designs, a bit like the Coolermaster Gemini, takes up too much real estate
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Sz View Post
    huh? dude, no!!

and then calling a caliper/vernier a beast? WTF?
    Did you read the rest?

"Computers have evolved exponentially in the past few years, but types of cooling have remained the same. Air cooling has reached its maximum potential, for the most part, and all manufacturers can do is fine-tune the current designs to try and squeeze out every bit of performance possible. Bah?! What am I saying? Companies such as Thermaltake have been around since the late 90's, and they know the ropes when it comes to pleasing enthusiasts..."

The vernier is a beast in my opinion, because it has helped me more than any tool has; mainly due to the fact that I'm the guy that measures twice and cuts once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Daaang that thing is massive.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Sapphire 7950 VaporX 1150/1500 w/ 1.2V/1.5V | 32C Idle / 64C Load | 2x 128Gig Crucial M4 SSD's
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 3x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob-ftw View Post
    Did you read the rest?

"Computers have evolved exponentially in the past few years, but types of cooling have remained the same. Air cooling has reached its maximum potential, for the most part, and all manufacturers can do is fine-tune the current designs to try and squeeze out every bit of performance possible. Bah?! What am I saying? Companies such as Thermaltake have been around since the late 90's, and they know the ropes when it comes to pleasing enthusiasts..."
    I was pointing out your poor grammar and use of wrong words...