Thread: Need Advice

Cool Need Advice

I'm about to take the plunge(pun intended), into water cooling.
    Currently I'm using a Zalman CPNS 9700 NT Tritrum sitting upon a Phenom 9850BE clocked to 2.8Ghz.
    The ambient room temp right now is 26C, the CPU idle temp is currently 39C according to ITE Smart Guardian, fan speed about 60%, under load it's up to 48C with the fan flat out.
    Pretty good for air cooling from all reports, but I want it cooler and quieter so I'm considering this;
    Alphacool 11005
    Anyone used on of these or know of any similar or better? my price ceiling is £150-160
    Thanks people.
    Excellent Guide to K10 Clocking Features,http://www.ocia.net/articles/k10overclock/page2.shtml

Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    AMD Phenom x6 1090TBE @ 4.03GHZ - 20 C @ idle
    IAS 9211-4i Hardware SAS SATA RAID Controller
    Cooling Switech H20-220 Ultima XT Plus
    RAM Mushkin Blackline 8GB @1600 7.6.7.15.1T
    PSU Tagan BZ900
    Sapphire Radeon 6870 - Liquid Cooled 28 C @ idle
    Samsung F1 1 Terrabyte x2 2TB RAID 0 Array
    Samsung F3 x2 - 2 terra in RAID 0 4 terra array
    Liteon iHS524 x3
    Cooler Master HAF 932 case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would buy better parts, you really don't need to buy a kit.
    There are better pumps, blocks and rads. I purchased parts from stores in UK and I wish I lived there regarding watercooling stores, you have plenty stores with all types of parts needed.
    Check some threads about starters builds, you will find all info needed on better performance parts
    My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

Xtreme Enthusiast
    never buy a kit, you would be better of with a custom setup (and its cheaper most of the time)

Q9450 @3.60 Ghz, Striker II Formula, Evga 9800GTX (863/2050/1200), 2X2gb 1100 5,5,5,18 D9's at 2.20V
    Cooled by: MCR320, D-Tek Fuzion V2, MCP335 w/ EK G3/8 TOPS, Full BP high flow 1/2" fittings
    Oh and Vista Ultimate (i know, I KNOW!)

Xtreme Member
    The kit might do what you need, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on here that would recommend one. The general rule of thumb is that if it's a kit, the parts are worth a lot less than you're paying for them, and that's going to be reflected in the performance you see. I'm not familiar with the Phenom processors (don't own any of them myself), but if you want a quick list of parts that have a proven track history I'd recommend the following:
    CPU WB: D-Tek FuZion v2 - $69.95
    Pump: Laing DDC3.2 (aka MCP355) - $79.95
    Pump Top: XSPC Res Top - $44.95
    Radiator: PA120.3 or MCR320 or Feser XChanger 320 - $56.95 to $159.99
    Tubing: Read the the post on here about tubing comparisons and the stickies and pick whatever meets your budget and needs. ~$2 per ft. average loop size 7 ft. = ~$14
    Reservoir (to help with bleeding): Swiftech MCRES-MICRO - $19.99
    Fittings: BP Fatboys or compression fittings are best, but just about anything that's not plastic is acceptable. - ~$2 to $6 a pair

Total: ~$329 or at the ~2 to 1 trading rate of dollars to pounds, roughly 165 pounds.

All prices are what I found looking around my favorite store, they will of course vary.

As an alternative for the pump/pump-top you could get a MCP655 Vario pump which has performance similar to the MCP355, but is slightly larger and has a speed controller so it can run quieter. The price should be ~$90 US or ~45£.
    Last edited by orclev; 07-31-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Forgot reservoir, Added pump option

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by orclev View Post
    The kit might do what you need, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on here that would recommend one. The general rule of thumb is that if it's a kit, the parts are worth a lot less than you're paying for them, and that's going to be reflected in the performance you see. I'm not familiar with the Phenom processors (don't own any of them myself), but if you want a quick list of parts that have a proven track history I'd recommend the following:
    CPU WB: D-Tek FuZion v2
    Pump: Laing DDC3.2 (aka MCP355)
    Pump Top: XSPC Res Top
    Radiator: PA120.3 or MCW320 or Feser XChanger 320
    Tubing: Read the the post on here about tubing comparisons and the stickies and pick whatever meets your budget and needs.
    Reservoir (to help with bleeding): Swiftech MCRES-MICRO
    Fittings: BP Fatboys or compression fittings are best, but just about anything that's not plastic is acceptable.
    I agree with the CPU block, but save a little coin and make the project a little easier for the first build. He was looking at a kit to begin with. Use the KISS method for the first one.

Pump: D5 / MCP655
    Rad: MCR320
    Res: Swiftech Micro Res or EK150
    Fittings: BP G1/4 1/2" OD High Flow (Fat Boys) x 6
    Tubing: MasterKleer 7/16 ID
    Zipties for keeping the tubing on the fittings

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    I agree with the CPU block, but save a little coin and make the project a little easier for the first build. He was looking at a kit to begin with. Use the KISS method for the first one.

Pump: D5 / MCP655
    Rad: MCR320
    Res: Swiftech Micro Res or EK150
    Fittings: BP G1/4 1/2" OD High Flow (Fat Boys) x 6
    Tubing: MasterKleer 7/16 ID
    Zipties for keeping the tubing on the fittings
    LOL, didn't see your post until after I updated mine to suggest the MCP655 as an alternative. Other than you're adding a specific tubing, and narrowing the radiator selection down to the MCR320 though, it looks like your recommendations are pretty much identical to what I said.

Might recommend worm clamps for holding the tubes on, but zipties work as well of course, just will need to cut them off if any work needs to be done.

Edit: He'll also need fans to go with the radiators. I'd just read the Fan sticky as there's some really great information on there. Also make sure to check out martins review of push/pull/shroud testing particularly as it relates to low RPM versus high RPM fans. Lastly, most people on here recommend Yate-Loons, but it's largely personal preference. For myself, I'm partial to the S-Flex fans.
    Last edited by orclev; 07-31-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Never go full retard
    Yeah, we did suggest nearly the same stuff. I narrowed some down just because its the first build for the OP.

Xtreme Member
    As an aside, ShadeOfGrey recently posted (and is still posting ) an updated list of water cooling components seeing as the one in the stickies is beginning to show its age a bit. So far it looks to be shaping up very nicely, and I'd recommend you give it a read, particularly if you decide to expand your loop in the future to include other components.