Page 5 of 119 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Live MB OC Report :: ASUS Rampage Extreme

Xtreme Member
    Ok, I just killed one of my aging 3870. After replacing the cooler, it just wouldn't work anymore.

@EF: Have you tried using the language tools in Google to translate Xfastest.Com? I tried it but still going through a lot of the threads (and reading between the lines as well)...

Regarding the NB passive sink for the Rampage Extreme, I am also having the same thoughts as REVHEAD, its just way too hot. Anyone tried replacing the gunk in there? I used AS5 on it and is still way too hot. Is this normal for an X48 chipset? And the passive sink hits the TRUE120 so the fan clips are of no use.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxx View Post
    And the passive sink hits the TRUE120 so the fan clips are of no use.
    Maxxx are you talking about the clips to hold the fan onto the TRUE120 ?. I managed to manipulate mine into place. You have to squeeze the lower corner of the fan in first and then rotate the fan into place. The other clip will then swing in ok - bit tricky but do-able.

Xtreme Member
    ......also I would recommend removing the red cover from the top mosfet sink to allow the pins to flex of the sink and then the TRUE120 will not be held off the CPU.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2k View Post
    to this thread Revhead and Stealth.
    Thanks a lot mate.

I wish to had the board so i could tell my impresions but a friend told me that it will take 15 more days to come in Greece

From what i read the only thing i need worry about this board is the high temp on NB,can you tell me if is possible to remove only the water block without remove the whole heatpipe so i can mound another NB cooler?

stealth
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe,Opty 185 2.6Ghz(Toledo)@3003Ghz(273X11,1.3v,HT 1365Mhz),Asus 8800GTX 768mb,Corsair Twinx2048-3500LL PRO@DDR546 3-3-2-6 1T 2.8v,PCP&C 750Watt Quad,WD 120GB Sata, WD 250GB Sata2,X-Fi Fatality,Nec ND4551A.

Xtreme Member
    @Rob2k: I wasn't able to make the clips fit so I used cable ties. I did remove the red cover.

From what i read the only thing i need worry about this board is the high temp on NB,can you tell me if is possible to remove only the water block without remove the whole heatpipe so i can mound another NB cooler?
    Yup, you can remove the block alone as its fsaten only by 2 screws. Mounting a 3rd party cooler would be the next challenge though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxx View Post
    Have you tried using the language tools in Google to translate Xfastest.Com? I tried it but still going through a lot of the threads (and reading between the lines as well)...

Regarding the NB passive sink for the Rampage Extreme, I am also having the same thoughts as REVHEAD, its just way too hot. Anyone tried replacing the gunk in there? I used AS5 on it and is still way too hot. Is this normal for an X48 chipset? And the passive sink hits the TRUE120 so the fan clips are of no use.
    Anything you need to translate just post it here I can do that for you.

The first thing I did after receiving the board was to remount the coolings and used MX-2 on all contacts, but was unsatisfied when watercooling via the fusion block. So I took everything off and you can see what I've done in THIS post. Now everything is nice and cool.

Is the heat causing instability issues?

HERE you can see the Fusion Block taken off.
    HERE is watercooling via the Fusion block.

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Member
    @EF: Its ok with that site, got one of my staff to translate if for me as well.

At my present settings, the NB heat is not causing any problems. But I can't go any higher than 380x9 as the NB goes off the room when running on full load. Now am afraid to try out my E8600 until I figure out how to cool the NB better. I am afraid to use MX-2 now since it was the TIM I was using when my 3870 died yesterday (first time I tried that TIM). I'd stick with AS5 for now....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've used MX-2 since it came out and used it on EVERYTHING as it's easy to apply and super effective. Never had any problems with it...

What VMCH are you using? try not using AUTO as they tends to overvolt.. It tried to put PLL voltage at 1.7V on AUTO when 1.5 ran fine.

What temps are you getting with that VMCH? as long as it stays below 56-8 should be OK.

We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Would anyone know whether the OCZ platinum 1600mhz 4GB kit would work on the Rampage Extreme? Am kinda in doubt after seeing some posts here...

Xtreme Member
    Hello Kriffith and welcome.

Do you have 2x2Gb or 4x1Gb ?. I have OCZ 4x1Gb PC-16000 (untill G.Skill arrives tomorrow ) and it would not run anywhere near its rated speed in this M/B or my old SIIE. I would hope that you would have better luck but based on my experiences with 4 sticks I would suggest that overclocking would be limited.

My rig :
    CPU: QX9770-C1 on Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler
    GPU: XFX GTX280 XT. Creative X-Fi Elite Pro.
    MEM: OCZ 4x1Gb PC3-16000C9 2000Mhz Platinum EB
    DRIVES: Samsung F1 1TB & 2X500Gb Hitachi SATA 2.
    2xSamsung 20XDVD-RW SATA
    O/S: Vista Ultimate 32bit
    M/B: Asus Rampage Extreme Bios : 0403
    PSU: Enermax Infinity 720w
    CASE: CM Stacker 832 5x120 fans.

Xtreme Member
    @EF: got the NB at AUTO, reading 1.336 from the BIOS hardware monitor. I'll try to set this to manual with same voltage. PLL is set to 1.524 manually.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriffith View Post
    Would anyone know whether the OCZ platinum 1600mhz 4GB kit would work on the Rampage Extreme? Am kinda in doubt after seeing some posts here...
    I think the little money you save from buying OCZ memory is false economy, as you'll spend more time adjusting skews and timings just to get your memory to run at the advertised speed. Never had this problem with memory makers such as cellshock and G.Skill, and more often then not they can be overclocked way pass those speed and timing specified. You then end up buying another pair of memory in the end.

Sorry.. been burned too many times by cheap and not-so-cheerful OCZ memories.

rob2k, but your rig details in your signiture! or we will be quoting it along with your message

Maxxx, what NB temp are you getting with 1.336V? and what cooling are you using on the NB? I assume it is inside your case too?

Xtreme Member
    Eternal mate, how easy was it to take the stock cooling off? Anything to worry about - I remember with other asus boards (think it was the rampage formula?) that it was pretty difficult getting the cooling off cos of the thermal paste stuff they put on it caused such a seal it pulled off some of the caps - the nb even.
    System Specs:
    Core i7 2600k
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    4x2gb G-Skill Ripjaw 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon R9 290X
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    2x Crucial M4 256gb RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.12 3TB HDD
    Corsair AX860i.

Watercooling Specs
    EK Supreme HF, XSPC EX360, XSPC EX240, DDC Ultra w/aquacomputer top, Aqualis XT res, Kryographics 290X GPU block

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just undo all the screws on the back, the the stock cooling comes right off. Asus used thermal paste this time, so much easer to remove (it was some kind of thermal cement pad in the formula...)
    Last edited by eternal_fantasy; 08-05-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks EF - That makes life easier with my system spec in my sig

G.Skills arrive tomorrow as it was a bank holiday in Ireland yesterday, changed my order to the PI at the last minutes as their ad had them shown incorrectly at CAS8.

Does anyone know where I can D/L or buy Go Orthos Beta for quads in prep for some testing ?
    My rig :-
    CPU: QX9770-C1 @ 4038MHz.
    GPU: XFX GTX280 XT O/C. Audio: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro.
    MEM: Corsair Dominator 2x1Gb TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN G @ 7-7-7-20 1T 1901MHz.
    DRIVES: Samsung F1 1TB & 2x500Gb Hitachi SATA 2.
    2xSamsung 20xDVD-RW SATA.
    O/S: Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1.
    M/B: Asus Rampage Extreme. Bios : 1003.
    PSU: Enermax Infinity 720w (waiting for Enermax Revolution 1050w).
    CASE: CM Cosmos S RC-1100 v2.
    LOOP 1: <- Black Ice Stealth 360 -> EK Multi-Opt 150 Rev2 -> Swiftech MCP655 -> Swiftech Apogee GTZ -> EK NB SMAX -> : Tygon R3603 tubing and EK barbs all 1/2in ID.

24/7 SETTINGS : FSB 475, Ratio x8.5, Strap 333, DRAM 1901 @ 2.06v, CPUv 1.47, LLC DIS, GTLs +40+40+40+40 NB +60, PLLv 1.59, VTT 1.40, NBv 1.59, SB1.5 1.58, SB1.05 1.10

Xtreme Member
    G.Skills arrive tomorrow as it was a bank holiday in Ireland yesterday, changed my order to the PI at the last minutes as their ad had them shown incorrectly at CAS8.
    Just ordered some of those g-skills tonight, should be here in a couple of days. Now im really itching to get my RE back from RMA! LOL!
    System Specs:
    Core i7 2600k
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    4x2gb G-Skill Ripjaw 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon R9 290X
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    2x Crucial M4 256gb RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.12 3TB HDD
    Corsair AX860i.

Watercooling Specs
    EK Supreme HF, XSPC EX360, XSPC EX240, DDC Ultra w/aquacomputer top, Aqualis XT res, Kryographics 290X GPU block

Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    I think the little money you save from buying OCZ memory is false economy, as you'll spend more time adjusting skews and timings just to get your memory to run at the advertised speed. Never had this problem with memory makers such as cellshock and G.Skill, and more often then not they can be overclocked way pass those speed and timing specified. You then end up buying another pair of memory in the end.

Sorry.. been burned too many times by cheap and not-so-cheerful OCZ memories.
    Problem is that OCZ is about the only thing easily attained for DDR3 here in Belgium.... And what if I get 2000MHZ 2x2 kit. Can probably downclock that to get QX9650 at 4ghz?

I am Xtreme
    Problem is that OCZ is about the only thing easily attained for DDR3 here in Belgium.... And what if I get 2000MHZ 2x2 kit. Can probably downclock that to get QX9650 at 4ghz?
    Try www.jaha.be , Hans will order them for you...(near Gent) he pulled the DDR3 from the webbie as he wants to promote the Mushkins... but you can still order them for sure...

Kind regards Leegie
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I will recieve my rampage extreme on thursday or friday. G.skill PC12800 memorys coming from memoryc.com and today i got my E8600 Retail. Hoping this will be a good setup =) How about the bios, is 0403 the best ?
    [SIGPIC]http://techsweden.org[/SIGPIC]
    Gigabyte Z87X-OC, Haswell 4770K, 8GB Team Group 2666mhz, Asus HD7970

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does anyone know where I can D/L or buy Go Orthos Beta for quads in prep for some testing ?
    The one I use is only for 2 cores, so need to open 2 instances and assign them to 2 core each. just Google orthos and the first link should be it. There don't seem to be ORTHOS for 4 core as far as I'm aware of, there should be a Prime95 for 4 cores, but dono it it can blend...

OCZ as far as I know uses Samsung modules in their higher speed memories, so they either work at the rated speed, or need to be severely underclocked to work.. maybe try what leeghoofd suggested, although he didn't mention which brand of memory they can order for you

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodream View Post
    I will recieve my rampage extreme on thursday or friday. G.skill PC12800 memorys coming from memoryc.com and today i got my E8600 Retail. Hoping this will be a good setup =) How about the bios, is 0403 the best ?
    There really isn't alot of chioce in terms of BIOS at the moment.. and all 4 of them seem to be pretty similer, so as long as it likes your memory, it goes like hell

Great to see more people finally receiving their Rampage Extreme! Our little thread seems so empty compared to those P5Q/DFI threads

Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Try www.jaha.be , Hans will order them for you...(near Gent) he pulled the DDR3 from the webbie as he wants to promote the Mushkins... but you can still order them for sure...

Kind regards Leegie
    Thnx for the link!! those mushkins also look really nice. Anyone tested them with the rampage extreme yet or have any input on it compared to G.Skill/Cellshock? Also Micron chips?

Wonder when the board will be available in Belgium Can't finalize build anyway, waiting for HD4870X2

Xtreme Member
    Thnx for the link!! those mushkins also look really nice. Anyone tested them with the rampage extreme yet or have any input on it compared to G.Skill/Cellshock? Also Micron chips?
    BUMP, i heard the Mushkins are great, just not sure if they are with ramapge extreme, they seem to have everything, micron chips, easy to take off heatsink(for thermalright heatsinks) and a good reputation, not sure about there RMA system though, G-skill are nice but i never saw them as high end... WHAT ABOUT the super talent 1600 2x2gb kits? hows super talent anyone?
    core i7 920 2.66(for now, will OC to 4GHz with my CM V8 soon)
    rampage 2 extreme bios 0901
    corsair 3x2gb DDR3 1600 c8
    2 GTX 260 core 216
    2 WD 750gb RE3 raid 0
    1200 odin psu
    vista premium 64-bit
    lian-li v2010

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMK View Post
    Just ordered some of those g-skills tonight, should be here in a couple of days. Now im really itching to get my RE back from RMA! LOL!
    Nice one! - they look to really suit this board. Hoping to run mine at 1820 (455x9=4095 CPU O/C). Are you building this as well as your SIIE SLi rig ?.

Thanks E.F - All Orthosed up and ready to go. Hopefully my neighbour will take the Fedex delivery in for me

Will be interesting to see what N/B temps I get when benching - the side fans in my Stacker832 should help.

3oh6 - how are things going with you ?, not heard from you for a day or so.
    My rig :-
    CPU: QX9770-C1 @ 4038MHz.
    GPU: XFX GTX280 XT O/C. Audio: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro.
    MEM: Corsair Dominator 2x1Gb TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN G @ 7-7-7-20 1T 1901MHz.
    DRIVES: Samsung F1 1TB & 2x500Gb Hitachi SATA 2.
    2xSamsung 20xDVD-RW SATA.
    O/S: Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1.
    M/B: Asus Rampage Extreme. Bios : 1003.
    PSU: Enermax Infinity 720w (waiting for Enermax Revolution 1050w).
    CASE: CM Cosmos S RC-1100 v2.
    LOOP 1: <- Black Ice Stealth 360 -> EK Multi-Opt 150 Rev2 -> Swiftech MCP655 -> Swiftech Apogee GTZ -> EK NB SMAX -> : Tygon R3603 tubing and EK barbs all 1/2in ID.

24/7 SETTINGS : FSB 475, Ratio x8.5, Strap 333, DRAM 1901 @ 2.06v, CPUv 1.47, LLC DIS, GTLs +40+40+40+40 NB +60, PLLv 1.59, VTT 1.40, NBv 1.59, SB1.5 1.58, SB1.05 1.10

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whokidmo View Post
    BUMP, i heard the Mushkins are great, just not sure if they are with ramapge extreme, they seem to have everything, micron chips, easy to take off heatsink(for thermalright heatsinks) and a good reputation, not sure about there RMA system though, G-skill are nice but i never saw them as high end... WHAT ABOUT the super talent 1600 2x2gb kits? hows super talent anyone?
    Well here is what 3oh6 said about his experience with the Mushkin 2x2GB Mushkin kit:

Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    the 0403 BIOS doesn't like my Mushkin Ascent PC3-12800 2x2GB kit at all and will only run the XMP profile stable at 2T and won't clock much past 800MHz. meanwhile, my G.Skill PI PC3-12800 2x2GB kit seems just fine clocking up to 900MHz+ so far at 7-7-6 and low voltage. again, only 2T but with 4GB kits, that is expected. the problem is, i don't know which ICs are on either kit as the heat sinks didn't really feel like they wanted to come off when i tried...without taking something with them anyway.
    So G.Skill is your best bet, or you may need to wait a while for the BIOS to catch up with memory compatibility.

would it be best to get the G.skill PC3-12800 or PC3-14400 for QX9650 at 4ghz? Am thinking safest bet is 1800mhz or perhaps not compatible with MB?

Page 5 of 119 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast