Page 3 of 119 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Live MB OC Report :: ASUS Rampage Extreme

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rockqc View Post
    That looks much the same as the back plate that could be bought with the D-Tek FuZion v1 and/or came with the Pro Mount kit.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=224

I'll cut the centre out of mine once I get the board and see if it fits.
    Yes I think most of us will a few of the backplate you've linked either from buying a large HSF like the TRUE or from a waterblock. However not all of us have tools like dremel or power drills to mod ours, so we will have to rely on buying the backplate as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by REVHEAD View Post
    A question about the Sil raid controller why have Asus done this ? is it superior to the Intel raid controller in Read and Write speeds?
    I dont unbdestand why asus have done this.

I am currently using the intel raid controller , when I get my Rampage extreme will it be worth my while to swap controllers to the new one?

Thanks in advance.
    The point of adding the Silicon Image chip is to provide hardware RAID, is to basically speed things up as it will automatically set the 2 drives connected to those ports as RAID0, and you don't need drivers for windows to recognise the RAID setup and install onto it. As for the performance advantages I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    it looks like you put the memory in the white slots. board layout is similar to maximus II, and mine on maximus II is currently in the blue slots. does it really matter for blue or white dimm slots?? i just realized that the manual says memory in the white slot might offer better OC'ing. is this really true? you should try the OC on the blue slots to see if you get better or worst results

a side question: what does that fujitsu chip do? how come maximus II doesn't have one?
    Many high-end motherboards nowadays will tell you that you will get better overclocking results from using the dual channel slots further away from the Northbridge. This is because as they are further from the NB, the motherboard manufactures have more room to finetune the PCB circuitry, to basically "line up" the 2 ports better, so when the data frequency is very high as when overclocking, they get cleaner and more syncronised signals.
    nVidia chipsets such as the 790i only officially support 2000Mhz DDR speeds on the slots further from the NB, and 1800Mhz DDR on the closer 2.

As for the fat ML Cap... apparently as they have MUCH higher capacitance then standard solid aluminum caps, and provides cleaner power to the 3 components: CPU, RAM and Northbridge. It's like only the most expensive Ferrari uses the magnetorheological shock absorber while the rest gets good'ol hydraulics ones. Now are they necessary? no. Are they good bragging material? hell yeah! Although the Rampage Extreme with the ML caps already broke quite a few FSB and memory speed world records, so I would think they're most probably not just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Member
    Found the Crossbow backplate. Now that everything is up and running (Memtest at least), the CPU temp according to the BIOS is 39c at idle. I think I need to lap the TRUE120. NB temp in BIOS is around 45c with the passive sink (removed the waterblock and replaced the TIM with AS5). This is on a Q6600.
    Push-pull config with 2x1900rpm Scythe fans...

Xtreme Member
    I've got my motherboard but I have no ddr3 yet

However I have 2 x 4GB G.SKill PC3-12800 PI 7-7-7-18 on they way as well as 2 x4GB Diablo 2000 D9GTR

G.SKills will arrive early next week and Diablo later on next week.
    I will be doing 4GB and 8GB comparisons.

Xtreme Member

Weekend off !!!

Out of action this weekend as no-one working at Microsoft Vista Technical support to help de-activate my license key as it seems I have tinkered too much and am no longer getting a system generated installation ID for telephone activation. I have Vista Ultimate Full which should allow me to tinker to my hearts content yet they treat me like a crim on the phone !!!.

Before I could no longer get into Windows I found the maximum memory speed to be 1760 (tried both 333 & 400 straps) for my OCZ using only 2 sticks which is shocking. I'm beginning to wonder if my quad has something to do with this but am looking at this 4Gb kit :-

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=821555

as I can't find the Crucial Ballistix 2x2Gb PC2000 kits anywhere.

Will be useful to see how you get on MnM

My rig :QX9770-C1 on Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler
    XFX GTX280 XT. Creative X-Fi Elite Pro.
    OCZ 4x1Gb PC3-16000C9 2000Mhz Platinum EB
    Samsung F1 1TB & 2X500Gb Hitachi SATA 2.
    2xSamsung 20XDVD-RW SATA
    Vista Ultimate 32bit
    Asus Rampage Extreme
    Bios : 0403
    Enermax Infinity 720w
    CM Stacker 832 5x120 fans.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah I had brought a pair of OCZ DDR3-2000 2x1GB when it first came out, it was either totally incompatible with the Striker II Extreme or totally overrated to run at 2000 DDR. Returned it after being treated like a noob in the OCZ support forum.

The Corsair kit you liked have stock here and here, but apparently they are Samsung IC, so what you see is what you get, and don't expect it to overclock much, although if you're just going to run it at 1:2 450x9 then it is fine.

MemoryC has the G.Skill 2x2GB kits that should be using Micron IC, and from around the web and this forum will match or better the Corsair's speeds, while costing £150 less.

We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Member
    I guess this ram issue totally rules out the clunky XMS3 I have. Time to look for a new pair I guess

uncore challenged...
    the G.Skill PI checked out fine for full stability so i have dropped the Mushkin Ascents in and originally they would reboot during dual 32M SPi. i then went to the G.Skill PI kit and it wouldn't even boot, hung on detecting DRAM. even after a clear CMOS it still wouldn't boot. i went to a single stick and it came right up but the XMP profile was all screwed up, timings were all over the place. i then set defaults with the single stick, saved and exited, and it came up with correct XMP timings??? threw in the second stick and voila, the G.Skill PI ran fine.

when switching back to the Mushkin Ascent, then booted up fine first time and now have no problem running the XMP profile, here is the dual 32M screenshot, they are priming as i type this...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    so i am not sure what is going on but i suspect that the board is having troubles picking up XMP profiles once in a while. that may have been my initial issue with the Mushkin Ascent as they are fine now. i did manually lower vPLL as the XMP profile for the G.Skill PI kit was much higher than necessary...who knows, that may be why the Mushkin Ascent weren't cooperating originally either

***edit***
    well, scrap that...the system just crashed running Prime Blend after about half hour with the Mushkins. they are running 1T vs 2T that the G.Skills were so i am going to try at 2T and see what happens with the Mushkins but for now will pull the XMP passing. these modules might also have been damaged in the 790i when i was clocking them on that as i haven't ran them in another board since. i will test them in the EP45T-Extreme when it frees up but with the way P45 and that board is handling memory...it might not tell us much.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 08-02-2008 at 07:18 AM.
    i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    I think my TR mosfet sinks are type1, as they were the only ones I could find when I brought them. Have had to mod the thermal pad a little longer as type 1 have a short coverage. Both the S-Max and the MCW30 will fit (NB/SB), as my NB block is also a S-Max. To be honest the SB never really gets hot, so if you can find a few ramsinks around stick them on and they will do a brilliant job. Watercooling the ICH9R is totally pointless IMO, not to mention additional block in the loop and tubing to arrange etc, or conflict with a long double slot VGA card. The S-Max does a great job on the NB, although I have ordered a MIPS nickle plated Maximus block, as IMO they are much higher quality then the EK, and better performance. Basically coolings you brought for the Maximus Formula/Extreme, Rampage formula etc will be compatible for the Rampage extreme. Kodos to ASUS for keeping the standard.

Looking forward to your results.
    Thanks for the info. I completely agree regarding the SB, i wont be watercooling that. I have a few coolers sat around here for SB duty, hopefully one of those will fit.
    System Specs:
    Core i7 2600k
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    4x2gb G-Skill Ripjaw 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon R9 290X
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    2x Crucial M4 256gb RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.12 3TB HDD
    Corsair AX860i.

Watercooling Specs
    EK Supreme HF, XSPC EX360, XSPC EX240, DDC Ultra w/aquacomputer top, Aqualis XT res, Kryographics 290X GPU block

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the memory tips guys ....... time to list unwanted bits on ebay OCZ memory, Striker II Extreme, WD Raptor X and EVGA 9800X2 SSC to fund new memory

Really looking to try Micron D9___ IC's rather than the Samsung this time. My ideal scenario is to run at 500FSB with multiplier of 8 and 1:2 memory running at 1000 (2000DDR) then I will stop tweaking and start playing !!.

Let's remember also that this board is still on an early bios.

EF - cheers for the B/P link will pick one up as a spare next time I buy from Scan. Cooling mods are looking great

Xtreme Member
    Anyone tested this on air cooling? Does the NB really get hot (60c @ full load)?

Xtreme Member
    Well guys, u may have to wait a bit longer for my results. Looks like my board is DOA lights powerup for a few seconds then it reboots and does the same thing in a continuous loop. Cant be any of the hardware im plugging into it as its all working in my SIIE. Typical!!!
    System Specs:
    Core i7 2600k
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    4x2gb G-Skill Ripjaw 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon R9 290X
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    2x Crucial M4 256gb RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.12 3TB HDD
    Corsair AX860i.

Watercooling Specs
    EK Supreme HF, XSPC EX360, XSPC EX240, DDC Ultra w/aquacomputer top, Aqualis XT res, Kryographics 290X GPU block

Xtreme Member
    Sorry to hear that Mike, hope you get the replacement soon.

Xtreme Member
    What a bummer MikeMK.

I am looking at coupling this board when I get mine next week with a E8600 and turfing my Q9450 in favour of the 4ghz dream, would u guys say this option would be better than keeping my Quad?
    GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.6[/COLOR]
    6gb Patriot DDR3 @ 1333mhz
    166 QPI Core i7 920 @ 3.33ghz
    4 X 80gb Veloci Raptors in Raid 0
    Creative Xfi Fatal1ty
    2 Sapphire 4870s in Crossfire
    Dell 3007 WFP
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000watt PSU
    Lian Li PC-A10B
    Air Cooled by Noctua

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxx View Post
    Anyone tested this on air cooling? Does the NB really get hot (60c @ full load)?
    all my results posted on the front page so far are on air cooling. NB gets up to 50~52C under HCI load at the highest so far.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMK View Post
    Well guys, u may have to wait a bit longer for my results. Looks like my board is DOA lights powerup for a few seconds then it reboots and does the same thing in a continuous loop. Cant be any of the hardware im plugging into it as its all working in my SIIE. Typical!!!
    what does the LCD poster say? i had this happen after a funky flash. try to turn off power to the power supply. then the jumper at the bottom of the board, set it to the second BIOS (pins 5&6)...

HTH
    Last edited by 3oh6; 08-03-2008 at 08:02 AM.
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)

Quote Originally Posted by REVHEAD View Post
    What a bummer MikeMK.

I am looking at coupling this board when I get mine next week with a E8600 and turfing my Q9450 in favour of the 4ghz dream, would u guys say this option would be better than keeping my Quad?
    Hi there... I think the quad is better all around cpu but if you
    have the 4 GHz target you must get E8600,,But to tell you the
    truth i had the same 4GHz "dream" until i reached it with an E8500..
    After that i am using a quad.(q9550),,I think that the 6MB cache
    that all dual-core family has is a drawback..(Q6600 with his 8MB
    i owned was in most of the cases faster than E8500.....).Anyway
    as the fastest dual core around E8600 is a must buy for most overclockers....
    Including me.....
    Last edited by sirsim; 08-03-2008 at 08:16 AM.

http://www.cpu3d.com/index.php?optio...mid=54&limit=1

Hi.....I read this and with all i hear i worry for that issue with NB temp...I am getting
    mine next monday (11/8) and i am afraid that water will be the only way
    to cool this mobo ... With air will not be so Extreme....I hope i am wrong....
    Last edited by sirsim; 08-03-2008 at 08:18 AM.

uncore challenged...
    if you want advise on what a review says, link directly to the page or better yet, quote what is concerning you and link to the page for context. i am not reading through an entire crap review from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. so...what is it your concerned about in particular? i have not seen any heat issues with the NB with just air cooling from anyone. you just need some basic air flow over the motherboard which you should have over your memory as well anyway.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2k View Post
    Thanks for the memory tips guys ....... time to list unwanted bits on ebay OCZ memory, Striker II Extreme, WD Raptor X and EVGA 9800X2 SSC to fund new memory

Really looking to try Micron D9___ IC's rather than the Samsung this time. My ideal scenario is to run at 500FSB with multiplier of 8 and 1:2 memory running at 1000 (2000DDR) then I will stop tweaking and start playing !!.

Let's remember also that this board is still on an early bios.

EF - cheers for the B/P link will pick one up as a spare next time I buy from Scan. Cooling mods are looking great
    Sure thing.

I have purchased a pair of 2x2GB A-Data DDR3-1600 X ram from MemoryC last week, and you can read about its IC in the xtreme bandwidth section. I think this pair use the same IC as the Corsair DDR3-1800 2x2GB Dominator rams as I was able to acheve the exact same speed and timing at that kit... 1600@7-7-7-20, and 1800@8-8-8-24.

I can also confirm that at least for me the CellShock blue DDR3-1866 D9JNL kit does NOT work with the Rampage Extreme, at least with current BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsim View Post
    http://www.cpu3d.com/index.php?optio...mid=54&limit=1

Hi.....I read this and with all i hear i worry for that issue with NB temp...I am getting
    mine next monday (11/8) and i am afraid that water will be the only way
    to cool this mobo ... With air will not be so Extreme....I hope i am wrong....
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxx View Post
    As I went stright to water cooling via the Fusion Block, I cannot comment on it's air cooling performance. However, even though I had reseated the whole cooling system and replaced the thermal compound with MX-2, @ 1.5VMCH it was lurking at around 56C loaded, using the Fusion. For reference after taking out the heatpipes and used my own NB waterblock, at load, 1.7VMCH, the NB never exceeded 41C.
    The cpu3d.com review was a little extreme though.. up to 80degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMK View Post
    Bad luck man.. do you have another set of memory to try when the new one arrives? cus some RAM are just not compatible atm...

Anyway here is a quickie of how I'm doing with my quad. Note that my memory is holding me back.. this board and the CPU can do 480Mhz no problem

If anyone intrested in settings just ask
    Last edited by eternal_fantasy; 09-18-2008 at 11:05 PM.

if you want advise on what a review says, link directly to the page or better yet, quote what is concerning you and link to the page for context. i am not reading through an entire crap review from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. so...what is it your concerned about in particular? i have not seen any heat issues with the NB with just air cooling from anyone. you just need some basic air flow over the motherboard which you should have over your memory as well anyway.
    Sorry but i didn't want an advice for what the review said...i only pointed that there is a report of NB-temp issue there.(NB=1.4V and temps at 50C).And I wondered if air will be adequate for Extreme overclocking..With so little feedback for this mobo i thing a link to a report is worth to share...So i don"t understand why you react like i forced you to read something..Having in mind that some people are not so experienced as you should also make you react different ....(and how you know that the review is "crap" and they dont know what they are talking about as long as you haven"t read it?)
    Last edited by sirsim; 08-03-2008 at 09:06 AM.

uncore challenged...
    Sorry but i didn't want an advice for what the review said...i only pointed that there is a report of NB-temp issue there.(NB=1.4V and temps at 50C).And I wondered if air will be adequate for Extreme overclocking..With so little feedback for this mobo i thing a link to a report is worth to share...So i don"t understand why you react like i forced you to read something..Having in mind that some people are not so experienced as you should also make you react different ....(and how you know that they dont know what they are talking about as long as you haven"t read it?)
    i was simply asking to the portion of the review that you were referring to so cool your heels. and from the first couple pages i skimmed over trying to find what you were referring to, it was evident they weren't on the top of their game. DDR2 and 2.3v used in overclocking?

just trying to help, that's all

i was simply asking to the portion of the review that you were referring to so cool your heels. and from the first couple pages i skimmed over trying to find what you were referring to, it was evident they weren't on the top of their game. DDR2 and 2.3v used in overclocking?

just trying to help, that's all
    Ok sorry if i was overreacted...looks like it will be a long way with this
    mobo and hearing for issues one week before getting it maybe makes me
    little nervous...Thanks for your opinion on that review...

uncore challenged...
    no worries, i just wouldn't worry about anything until you have your board in your setup. undue stress is never good and might not even be something you have to deal with.

and with any review, mine included...you have to take it with a grain of salt. every board is different, every setup is different, and every level of knowledge is different. until you see 10+ reviews all pointing a finger at crazy high NB temps, i wouldn't worry about it...it could a simple bad mount on their board not experienced by anyone else. for some 55C may seem very excessive...to me, if 55C is stable, it's more than fine IMO. so perspective also plays a major role in how big a deal some things are to people.

the biggest issue that seems to be common, as eternal_fantasy pointed out, is memory compatibility. the 0403 BIOS doesn't like my Mushkin Ascent PC3-12800 2x2GB kit at all and will only run the XMP profile stable at 2T and won't clock much past 800MHz. meanwhile, my G.Skill PI PC3-12800 2x2GB kit seems just fine clocking up to 900MHz+ so far at 7-7-6 and low voltage. again, only 2T but with 4GB kits, that is expected. the problem is, i don't know which ICs are on either kit as the heat sinks didn't really feel like they wanted to come off when i tried...without taking something with them anyway.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    To he honest with a normal everyday machine with good overclocks you will not need to watercool it just to keep it from overheating... If you want something more extreme in terms of a benching rig then watercooling should be on the list of things to do reguardless of how well the air cooling is.

With my posted settings above I only used 1.47V on the Northbridge, and with care to ensure good airflow, aircooling should be fine.

And guys, no need to get worked up over a cheap review

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    And guys, no need to get worked up over a cheap review
    hehe, we're fine, just the beauty of the typed word in a forum...easily mis-interpreted, that's all.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    no worries, i just wouldn't worry about anything until you have your board in your setup. undue stress is never good and might not even be something you have to deal with.

and with any review, mine included...you have to take it with a grain of salt. every board is different, every setup is different, and every level of knowledge is different. until you see 10+ reviews all pointing a finger at crazy high NB temps, i wouldn't worry about it...it could a simple bad mount on their board not experienced by anyone else. for some 55C may seem very excessive...to me, if 55C is stable, it's more than fine IMO. so perspective also plays a major role in how big a deal some things are to people.
    Indeed, no need to worry too much, just keep these things in mind. As 3oh6 said, as long as it is stable, then it is fine.
    Please post back your results when you get your board!

Page 3 of 119 FirstFirst 1234561353103 ... LastLast