Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Live MB OC Report :: ASUS Rampage Extreme

Xtreme Member
    @MnM: thanks for the info. I was too hesitant to do it, now I really won't. Gonna have to find something like that. Problem is if the shops here have those.
    Again, many thanks...

40 AUD bucks for what? A new backplate?

I am Xtreme
    Hope to get a good view on which ram works and which doesn't, might be my last socket 775 board before Nehalem...

Keep it up, looking good
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Hi Maxx,

MnM is right - the TU120E backplate will crush the chip. I used a small cutting disc on the Dremmel and modified mine as shown below. That way the backplate had the correct nuts to ensure that the H/S bolts would only tighten up the amount it was designed to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2716287040_f4b53a2730.jpg 
Views:	10542 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	82923  

Xtreme Member
    @rob2k: thanks for the tip, maybe I can have mine modded the same way. I don't have a Dremmel but I might find a shop that can do that. Cheers.

@3oh6 and all: sorry that I hijacked your thread. The info provided by MnM and Rob2k are quite important for those who want to run this mobo on air and use a TRUE120 or any cooler that uses the same method for mounting

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have just ripped apart my system and took out the RE heatpipes... I'll have some intresting pictures and info to post after I get some food inside me

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxx View Post
    @rob2k: thanks for the tip, maybe I can have mine modded the same way. I don't have a Dremmel but I might find a shop that can do that. Cheers.

@3oh6 and all: sorry that I hijacked your thread. The info provided by MnM and Rob2k are quite important for those who want to run this mobo on air and use a TRUE120 or any cooler that uses the same method for mounting
    I'm sure your concern is quite on topic.

We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MnM View Post
    Dont do that. It might kill your motherboard.
    Do what I did - I got an Asus V-60 heatsink as it has the correct backplate on it. I've spend so much on the motherboard I'm not gonna kill it now cause I dont want to spen 40 bucks more (AUD bucks that is).

This is the back plate included wiht Asus V-60:

Or you guys can just purchase this and not have to buy a whole heatsink, then just mod it:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

uncore challenged...
    i'll try to answer all things asked of me in one shot...

there will be no quad action from me...i just don't have one

the Ballistix i am using are D9GTS and i am having issues getting over 1030MHz. i have tried BIOS 0301/0401/0403 to no avail. i have tried 266strap, and 333strap, the 266strap doesn't like anything over 1000MHz. i am also working with fairly decent Performance Level, otherwise, whats the point? i have tried high vMCH but it doesn't seem to help, there has to be something else going on here. firing up and going 400strap and will report back.

the back plate i am using is what comes with the Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX, it has the hole in the middle. ASUS really should consider tossing in a back plate that works considering the cost of this board. it would be much cheaper for them than it would us. DON'T USE THE THERMALRIGHT BACK PLATE!!! without modification of course.

i have Mushkin Ascent 2x2GB that i will be testing in this board, the problem is, i have no idea what ICs they are. in my 790i thread, they scaled with voltage very very well right up to 2.20v (at CL6 anyway) so...i am assuming Micron based on that. good luck getting the IC info from Mushkin, and i have already tried taking off the heat sink...it is on there for good, and i can take off any heatsinks (or so i thought).

as for hijacking this thread...no worries boys, this thread is about information for users or potential users of this board. nothing will be too off topic IMO. i am not one of these uppity jerks who just wants to see "good job!" posts in my threads. let's share some info and help each other out
    i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

Xtreme Member
    @3oh6: Thanks mate.
    Btw, can you guys give me a link for the 0403 BIOS? Cheers....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Hope to get a good view on which ram works and which doesn't, might be my last socket 775 board before Nehalem...

Keep it up, looking good
    Havnt u got enough motherboards allready?
    GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.6[/COLOR]
    6gb Patriot DDR3 @ 1333mhz
    166 QPI Core i7 920 @ 3.33ghz
    4 X 80gb Veloci Raptors in Raid 0
    Creative Xfi Fatal1ty
    2 Sapphire 4870s in Crossfire
    Dell 3007 WFP
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000watt PSU
    Lian Li PC-A10B
    Air Cooled by Noctua

uncore challenged...
    @3oh6: Thanks mate.
    Btw, can you guys give me a link for the 0403 BIOS? Cheers....
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...highlight=0401
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)

Xtreme Member
    @MnM: 40 AUD bucks for what? A new backplate?
    The V-60 is a whole heatsink. It just happens that it has the correct backplate. I could not find the backplate by itself anywhere thats why I got the the heatsink package.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    After 2 days of benching and pushing the Rampage Extreme, one thing is always on the back of my mind... that the Northbridge is so hot even watercooled via the Fusion waterblock. As I said in the other post, temps went well over 55C with only 1.5V. Compared to my watercooled Maximus Extreme NB, which at 1.7V never exceeds 47C. The theory behind the Rampage Extreme's heatsink/pipe system is probably the best out there, which cools the CPU's MOSFETs, NB, NB's MOSFETs and other parts, and the SB. However it is poorly implemented, as described in this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    Using the onboard Fusion block keeps most of the components cool, except the NB... the design is that heat have to travel through layres of material that is kinda stuck together with a glue gun...:
    ----------------
    Fusion block
    copper plate
    3 heatpipes side by side
    copper plate
    North Bridge
    ----------------
    The design is extremely inefficient (it's like the heat have to travel through a sausage roll to get to the water block), and although the fusion block feels cool to the touch, the NB was at 56C at 1.5V. And thats with reseated sinks with MX-2 applied. My Maximus Extreme with Mips block keeps the NB under 47C at 1.7V...
    The heatblock/pipe:

SB sink with pipe:

NB power delivery cooling:

NB copper plate with the 3 heatpipes stuck onto it:

As you can see it's not really the most efficient design for heat transfer when using the Fusion block. So I went digging through my spare part box and come up with much better cooling:-
    -------------------------------------------------
    Southbridge, never really hot on the P5K, and no drives actually are connected to the ICH9R, so a cheap&cheerful P5B Deluxe aluminium SB heatsink does a perfect job:

With some modding on the RAMsinks (2 resisters preventing the ramsinks from sitting flush on the mosfet), the NB power delivery area:

And the back of the board :

Northbridge - a PROPER water block:

the adjacent NB mounting hole distance are the same as a Maximus/Rampage, but just 2 of them as in the picture.

And finally the CPU MOSFET area:

So to custom watercool your Rampage Extreme, it is basically the same as the Maximus/Rampage Formula series, but you may want to also consider cooling the power delivery system of the NB, as it tends to get pretty hot with the 3 phase/15 mosfet design (8 front, 7 back).

What's the difference from watercooling with the Fusion block compared to what I have now I hear you ask? Before this makeover I cannot put in more then 1.65V into the NB without the RE refusing to boot, and at that voltage the NB, when under load, goes up to 60C+. Now however, at 1.7V the NB temp is kept nice n cool at under 42C under load, and plenty of room to go higher without cooking the board. That means longer component life and higher stability!!

uncore challenged...
    very nice, thanks for bringing these photos and the information to the thread

i have held off on fighting with the memory clocks for now and have now switched gears to the XMP testing. i have a pair of 2x1GB kits and a pair of 2x2GB kits and i will test them all here for at least dual 32M SPi...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
    XMP Testing
    click for full screenshot...
    TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN - ver3.1 (Micron) :: XMP

Xtreme Member
    Very interesting Eternal. What Thermalright mosfet coolers did u use? I have an HR09S Type 2 and an HR09U Type 2 sat here... any chance they would fit? Also I have an MCW30 (which fit on my rampage formula actually) and an EK S-max too... same question really... u think they will do the job?

Finally, by board arrived today... looks really fantastic. Asus have dont a very nice job here... loving the idea behind their dual bios implimentation. I have a quad here and will post results within the next few days... might be sunday/monday before i get chance to have it all up and running!
    System Specs:
    Core i7 2600k
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    4x2gb G-Skill Ripjaw 2133mhz
    MSI Radeon R9 290X
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    2x Crucial M4 256gb RAID 0
    Seagate 7200.12 3TB HDD
    Corsair AX860i.

Watercooling Specs
    EK Supreme HF, XSPC EX360, XSPC EX240, DDC Ultra w/aquacomputer top, Aqualis XT res, Kryographics 290X GPU block

Xtreme Enthusiast
    very nice, thanks for bringing these photos and the information to the thread

i have held off on fighting with the memory clocks for now and have now switched gears to the XMP testing. i have a pair of 2x1GB kits and a pair of 2x2GB kits and i will test them all here for at least dual 32M SPi...
    Nice results Hopefully as more people gets their board we'll have more data for troubleshooting the mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMK View Post
    Very interesting Eternal. What Thermalright mosfet coolers did u use? I have an HR09S Type 2 and an HR09U Type 2 sat here... any chance they would fit? Also I have an MCW30 (which fit on my rampage formula actually) and an EK S-max too... same question really... u think they will do the job?

Finally, by board arrived today... looks really fantastic. Asus have dont a very nice job here... loving the idea behind their dual bios implimentation. I have a quad here and will post results within the next few days... might be sunday/monday before i get chance to have it all up and running!
    I think my TR mosfet sinks are type1, as they were the only ones I could find when I brought them. Have had to mod the thermal pad a little longer as type 1 have a short coverage. Both the S-Max and the MCW30 will fit (NB/SB), as my NB block is also a S-Max. To be honest the SB never really gets hot, so if you can find a few ramsinks around stick them on and they will do a brilliant job. Watercooling the ICH9R is totally pointless IMO, not to mention additional block in the loop and tubing to arrange etc, or conflict with a long double slot VGA card. The S-Max does a great job on the NB, although I have ordered a MIPS nickle plated Maximus block, as IMO they are much higher quality then the EK, and better performance. Basically coolings you brought for the Maximus Formula/Extreme, Rampage formula etc will be compatible for the Rampage extreme. Kodos to ASUS for keeping the standard.

Looking forward to your results.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks so far for the testing and info, much appreciated.

Seems it's just coming into retail channels over here in Aus, so hopefully won't be too long before I can buy it.

E8600/Rampage Extreme is sounding like a damn fine combo

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Look at what I found!!!!!

BACK PLATE MADE FOR THE RAMPAGE EXTREME!!!11one

Well.. at least if you're in the UK

Xtreme Member
    @Eternal, thanks... I know I saw them in the shops here when I bought the motherboard Just didn't realize I needed it... Gonna have to go out today to get 'em. Nice one. Cheers mate...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No probs be sure to report back your experience with the Rampage Extreme when it's up and running

Xtreme Member
    That looks much the same as the back plate that could be bought with the D-Tek FuZion v1 and/or came with the Pro Mount kit.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=224

I'll cut the centre out of mine once I get the board and see if it fits.

Xtreme Member
    No probs be sure to report back your experience with the Rampage Extreme when it's up and running
    No probs. It'll be running on a Q6600 for this weekend though. Gonna received the E8600 and the QX9650 by end of next week...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    Look at what I found!!!!!

BACK PLATE MADE FOR THE RAMPAGE EXTREME!!!11one
    Well.. at least if you're in the UK
    apperantly it's in the US too

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/xigma...thru--kit.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233020

ur welcome guys...
    core i7 920 2.66(for now, will OC to 4GHz with my CM V8 soon)
    rampage 2 extreme bios 0901
    corsair 3x2gb DDR3 1600 c8
    2 GTX 260 core 216
    2 WD 750gb RE3 raid 0
    1200 odin psu
    vista premium 64-bit
    lian-li v2010

Xtreme Member
    A question about the Sil raid controller why have Asus done this ? is it superior to the Intel raid controller in Read and Write speeds?
    I dont unberstand why asus have done this.

I am currently using the intel raid controller , when I get my Rampage extreme will it be worth my while to swap controllers to the new one?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by REVHEAD; 08-01-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    GA-EX58-UD3R rev 1.6[/COLOR]
    6gb Patriot DDR3 @ 1333mhz
    166 QPI Core i7 920 @ 3.33ghz
    4 X 80gb Veloci Raptors in Raid 0
    Creative Xfi Fatal1ty
    2 Sapphire 4870s in Crossfire
    Dell 3007 WFP
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000watt PSU
    Lian Li PC-A10B
    Air Cooled by Noctua

Xtreme Cruncher
    click for full size...
    it looks like you put the memory in the white slots. board layout is similar to maximus II, and mine on maximus II is currently in the blue slots. does it really matter for blue or white dimm slots?? i just realized that the manual says memory in the white slot might offer better OC'ing. is this really true? you should try the OC on the blue slots to see if you get better or worst results

a side question: what does that fujitsu chip do? how come maximus II doesn't have one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast