Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Lili G70 rebuild

Xtreme Enthusiast

My Lili G70 rebuild

Hi all,

I'm starting a new thread so I can add the pictures and info I discovered when rebuilding my G70 loop.
    You can check some old pictures at the thread linked on my sig. I had the G70 powdercoated since my first build, I showed some pictures in my last try on rebuildind using some push in fittings that was a total fiasco.

- my temporary old loop:

- I received some new parts. I changed my P35 Asus for a Maximus Formula so I can do Crossfire. I bought one 4870 and I'll add another one on september. Upgraded RAM too, 4GB was so cheap I coudn't resist.

- I bought the XSPC res/top . I noticed the problem some guys complain about the threads on the res. The problem on mine was not the quality of the threads but the angle of the outlet threads. When I tried the Koolance fitting one border was touching the acrilic first, avoinding the oring to sit flush and seal. I did some milling on the border of the res (and some scratches too) and solved the problem. So it is not a quality control issue, is a designing issue. I'll mount it with the XSPC bracket, it is a simple acrilic bracket with 4 threaded holes. After I bought it I saw the one sold by Petra, too late.

- I'll have the koolance 4870 full cover block this week and I'll post some pictures later.

- Thanks to Utnorris I have now some power over my PA120.3. 3 SanAces H1011. My fear was that they would not fit the G70 using the shroud. Well, I can confirm it fits but it was my best lucky this year. I'll quit the lottery after this rad mount. Check the pictures.

- used but like new condition

- bare wires. I used some old fans wiring and some quick solder.

- Check this mounting. It is a really tight fit but it worked. You loose 3 drive bays on height. Maybe you can use a short drive or rheobus on the third bay from the top.
    What a difference from my old YL medium. These are really powerfull fans.

- My new res/top. I'll try to route the tubbing in a really short loop. I'll need my new VGA block to try it. The fan on the back of the case will be placed on the outside. The fittings are koolance 3/8x1/2, really nice finish and fitted on my Fuzion V1.

My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

I am Xtreme
    looking good buddy!!

my new case is similar to the g70 well internally it is i'm also getting mine powder coated what colour did you get?
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by disruptfam View Post
    looking good buddy!!

my new case is similar to the g70 well internally it is i'm also getting mine powder coated what colour did you get?
    I did matte black. I was a bit skeptical about colors, thinking that my local powdercoat company didn't have many options and probably lack professionalism.
    After the job I was amazed how well they did and in a quick tour at their shop they show me the color pallet, more than one hundred choices!
    Next time I'll choose a candy red or acid yellow, who knows.

A quick update: I bowed the Fuzion with a very thick oring, I probably over bowed it.
    Any chances of leak through the sides of the Fuzion?
    My Lian Li G70
    Asus P6X58D-E * i7-930 * Saphire 7970 * 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600 C7 * Crucial M4 256GB SSD * Lian Li G70W Powdercoated
    Watercooled by single loop Coolgate Quad 120 + Swiftech MCR220 with San Aces H1011 * EK Supreme HF * Koolance VID-AR797 * EK Asus X58 full set * DDC 3.25 with EK Dual Top/Res

Xtreme Member
    i must say, that is a really sexy setup you got there. I actually might to that now because of your work. Although my case is all riveted together and that would be a pain to take it all apart and re construct it.
    Asus P5b Deluxe
    Gskill 2X2GB DDR2 6400
    saphire 4870 + MCW60
    e6600 @ 380x8 + DTEK Fuzion Rev 2
    Asus Xonar PCI-E
    Sunbeam Transformer *Modded
    Corsair HX520 PSU
    2x BIX with 2 Yates each, both mounted on exterior
    MCP655-B with Tachometer
    WD Black 640g

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoobs View Post
    i must say, that is a really sexy setup you got there. I actually might to that now because of your work. Although my case is all riveted together and that would be a pain to take it all apart and re construct it.
    Actually disassemble and assemble it back was the easy and funny part.
    You will enjoy it. Just find better rivets, mine were PITA to pop and left some sharp points.
    Go for it. The bad part is to cover all threaded holes to protect the threads on the case.
    You will also loose all screws used to protect the holes since the powdercoating is thick and will cover the exposed threads on those.
    My Lian Li G70

Banned
    This is going to be hot hot hot!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by leo_bsb View Post
    Actually disassemble and assemble it back was the easy and funny part.
    You will enjoy it. Just find better rivets, mine were PITA to pop and left some sharp points.
    Agreed, I love re-riveting. Squeezing...squeezing....squeezing...POP!

Build is looking very good so far.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Update:

- received my Koolance VID-487 block. Really nice finish. One big downside: the box was missing the installation screws... I improvised with the stock screws and will wait for Koolance to send me the correct ones.

- nice milling and plating

I know, I know... show inside pictures!

- The card:

- Mounted:

- Routing the tubing will work with my first design but only in Crossfire. The pump bracket covers one top inlet on the vid card block so it will be OK using the one on the right, than looping to the second card with the crossfire adapter. Right now I managed to put the bracket on the mobo tray and it turned nice too.

tomorrow: leak test
    My Lian Li G70

Xtreme Mentor
    I wanna see VRM temp during furmark results.

i7-2600k @ 4.8Ghz 1.38v L044A892
    ASUS P8P67 LGA
    16GB G.Skill Rip Jaws DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
    1/2" ID Masterkleer, Swiftech MCP-655, Thermochill PA120.3 Rad, XSPC Rasa, MCW-60
    Cooler Master UCP 1100 Watt PSU
    GTX 680 1300/7000
    Lian Li PC V-2000

I am Xtreme
    fill it up

Xtreme Member
    +1 on both!
    There is more than meets the eye

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks really nice!

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM

Banned
    That Koolance block is pruurty

I am Xtreme
    how did you protect the holes when you got it powder coated?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    installed 46 screws in all threaded holes I would need.

- the systems is up and running.
    With the fans in slow, running prime and furmark, stock speeds. Sorry for the big picture but downsizing it make the fonts too small to read.
    My Lian Li G70

Xtreme Member
    Is that Koolance GPU block Nickel?
    • Case : Silverstone TJ07 Black
    • Sound : Asus Xonar Essence STX
    • Video : Asus GTX 680 4gb w/ Ek Nickel Block
    • Board : ASUS Maximus V Formula Z77
    • CPU : Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
    • CPU Cooler : EK-Supreme HF w/Plexi Top
    • Memory : 16GB Samsung 2133mhz 10-9-10-29
    • PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
    • HDD : Crucial 250gb M4 Raid 0
    • Radiator : Thermochill PA 120.3
    • Reservoir : EK-Multioption Res 250 Rev.2
    • Water Pump : Laing DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mpower1001 View Post
    Is that Koolance GPU block Nickel?
    yep!
    My Lian Li G70

I am Xtreme
    ahhhhhhhhh i see.... but wouldn't the screws get powder coated to the case?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by disruptfam View Post
    ahhhhhhhhh i see.... but wouldn't the screws get powder coated to the case?
    Sorry for the late answer, I had a good time watching Joe Satriani playing yesterday
    Yeah, the screws got covered. I could clean half, the other half went to screws heaven. Cleaning them was a process of installing them in a steel threaded plate. Most of them had their top part damaged (don't know the english word for that) when applying to much torque to make them screw in.
    My Lian Li G70

I am Xtreme
    sounds like a pita tbh... i didn't realize you had to do this with powder coating... how about anodizing? same thing?

Banned
    very nice build. only suggestion is to raise that ddc pump a little to allow some airflow underneath...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by septim View Post
    very nice build. only suggestion is to raise that ddc pump a little to allow some airflow underneath...
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    The pump will be relocated as soon I get my second 4870. It will be just placed behind the back case fan.
    My Lian Li G70

Xtreme Mentor
    Subd. Looking really sweet. Jealous of the HD4850. I am already thinking of upgrading my HD3870's. It never ends, .

Utnorris
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll post some pictures of the finished loop later.
    Some info from my experiences:

- this jab-tech dye is junk: http://www.jab-tech.com/UV-Dye-Blue-pr-3533.html
    It stained the XSPC res and didn't glow with UV lights. I stoped to put more inside the res since I started to see some particles floating and the res wall covered with blue color. I'm not so worried about it since I'm gonna redo the loop in two months when I get the other 4870. I'll just clean everything at that time. I'll run just water + ptnuke or add other kind of dye. Any 3/8x1/2 UV tubbing around?

- I was noticing pretty bad temps with coretemp. I changed my mobo to a Maximus Formula so I could not compare to my old temps with my P5K-E. I switched to RealTemp and it is 10ºC lower constantly, so it is probably a bug in the software. Who knows what is happening with coretemp? If Realtemp is right I'm getting pretty good temps but I'm still fine tunning the vcore, so it is not final. Loading temps are in the lower 50s. Utnorris' SanAces are making a difference. YL in push are not so good, as Martin discovered. The 38mm fans with shroud in the other hand are winners.
    My Lian Li G70

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK, finally some updates:

- got my EK NB block, great quality BTW, congrats to Eddy. I got it installed preparing for my new loop.

- the issues started with Naekuh, his koolance plugs were made of steel. I checked mine on the 4870 block, guess what, they already started to rust. I"ll need to wait for brass plugs to get my PC running again.

- I started to plan what should I do to cool the second 4870. I think I'll need another rad. I had two options, buy a MM case or find some space on my Lilli to accommodate another rad.
    I ended moving the HDD cage, it went really well. Now I have space for a MCR220 on the bottom, according to Martin's estimator it will achieve good performance for this loop.

My Lian Li G70

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast