Thread: Which type of heat sensor would have the least impact on flow?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Which type of heat sensor would have the least impact on flow?

I'm thinking of adding a sensor in my loop so that I can trigger an alarm or tell the computer to switch off in case of trouble however I'm not sure which sensor would be best:
    http://www.aquatuning.de/index.php/cPath/141_142

I was thinking of placing the sensor just after the main rad or after the pumps, any ideas?
    Sub-Silentio: Stable 3.83Ghz:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz ....... | Lian Li V2010 ........... | DDC3.2 w/ XSPC Top ... | Bios .. 1104 |
    | EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1024MB ........... | Zalman ZM1000-HP ........ | TFC 480 .............. | Vcpu . 1.36V |
    | Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i ... | Razer Lachesis .......... | Zalman ZM-F3 ......... | V nb . 1.50V |
    | Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR-1600 7-7-7-20 .... | Razer Lycosa ............ | D-Tek Fuzion V2 ...... | V sb . 1.50V |
    | WD 300GB Velociraptor ................. | Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" ... | EK-FC280 ............. | Vmem . 1.90V |
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All suggestions welcome - Overclocking tips here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=208522

Xtreme Addict
    you could just cellotape a sensor to the waterblock .. then seal it with neoprene to avoid external misreadings

or you could place the sensor near your barb and also seal it with neoprene ..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I got this one and will put in a spare G1/4" threading in my res, there should be no noticeable impact on flow

Xtreme Addict
    Depends on the kind of trouble you're trying to anticipate. If it's a pump failure that you're worried about, you'll need to put the sensor right on the water block, because once the pump fails, that's where the hot water is going to accumulate. Fan failure isn't as much of an issue, since you'll probably have multiple fans.

Personally, water temp sensors are useful for analyzing the effectiveness of your system setup, but they aren't much good for failsafe duty. If your pump has an rpm sensor plug, plug that into your CPU fan header, and set the BIOS to shut down in a 0-rpm event.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Addict
    I use this bitspower one, similar to the one Nickel020 linked:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=23347

If pump failure is your worry, you could connect the pump's rpm sensor cable into a fan controller such as the scythe kaze master, it has an alarm feature on each fan channel.

Xtreme Mentor
    Funny, I posted this thread a few weeks back. I believe Red stated that the Koolance one had the least impact on flow due to the alphacool having a bigger tip than the koolance one.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post
    Funny, I posted this thread a few weeks back. I believe Red stated that the Koolance one had the least impact on flow due to the alphacool having a bigger tip than the koolance one.
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...thermal+sensor is the one you are refering

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What about the option of having the fans speed up or slow down depending on temperature though? That could also be an interesting option no?
    Sub-Silentio: Stable 3.83Ghz:
    | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz ....... | Lian Li V2010 ........... | DDC3.2 w/ XSPC Top ... | Bios .. 1104 |
    | EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1024MB ........... | Zalman ZM1000-HP ........ | TFC 480 .............. | Vcpu . 1.36V |
    | Asus Striker II Extreme nForce 790i ... | Razer Lachesis .......... | Zalman ZM-F3 ......... | V nb . 1.50V |
    | Corsair XMS3 DHX DDR-1600 7-7-7-20 .... | Razer Lycosa ............ | D-Tek Fuzion V2 ...... | V sb . 1.50V |
    | WD 300GB Velociraptor ................. | Hyundai W240D-PVA 24" ... | EK-FC280 ............. | Vmem . 1.90V |
    All suggestions welcome - Overclocking tips here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...d.php?t=208522

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobly View Post
    What about the option of having the fans speed up or slow down depending on temperature though? That could also be an interesting option no?
    Yeah I posted that question a few weeks back as well

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ghlight=aquero

Some you can do it manually on the chipset, some you can do it through the computer, but all in all, you need rpm wired fans.
    If I had to pick any one, it would be the aquero lt for around $85.. love the software for it.
    Last edited by Eddie3dfx; 07-30-2008 at 08:03 AM.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Member
    Like others have said- The temperature variance of the water is NOT going to make a big difference, or at least enough to trigger any sort of failsafe. You want either an RPM header off your pump to shut down the PC if it reads out 0 RPM (pump failure), or, like I have done, set the BIOS to shut down if a certain temperature is reached on the CPU (I think I set mine to 65C, the lowest shutdown temperature possible).
    CNC Waterblock Builder
    Q9550, Rev. E0
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000
    eVga GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked
    3 Western Digital 80GB, RAID 0; 500GB Seagate 7200.11
    Silverstone OP750 PSU

Extreme Watercooling
    Swiftech MCR-QP 360
    D-Tek Fuzion v1
    Laing D5
    D-Tek Fuzion GFX rev. 2

Xtreme Member
    you may want to put another failsafe as others have suggested and put a sensor to your waterblock in case of a kink or a clog in the system.
    edit: if you want another failsafe to consider I've seen this product pressure valve.
    Last edited by shachar2; 07-30-2008 at 10:16 AM.