Thread: Home prices down record amount. Time for a reduction in property taxes?

I am Xtreme

Home prices down record amount. Time for a reduction in property taxes?

Home prices dropped by and average of almost 16% over the past year. That's the biggest drop ever!!! In some places it was almost 30%!!!

The silver lining is that if you have high property taxes, make sure you contest your tax appraisal and get them slashed by the same amount. You may be stuck with the mortgage payments, but the taxes you can do something about.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- May home prices dropped a record 15.8% from a year ago, according to the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Index of 20 cities. It was the 22nd consecutive month of decline recorded by the index. Prices fell 0.9% from April to May.

Each of the 20 metro areas covered by the index posted annual declines; nine posted record lows and 10 cities recorded double-digit drops.

The Case-Shiller 10-city Index posted a year over year decline of 16.9%, and a 1% month over month dip. Both the 10-City Composite Index and the 20-City Composite Index are reporting record annual declines.

"Since August 2006, there has not been one month where we have seen overall price increases, as measured by the two Composites," said David Blitzer, Chairman of the Index Committee at Standard & Poor's.

Case-Shiller has been tracking the 20-city index for 19 years, while the 10-city index is 21 years old. The current price decline streak has been unprecedented in both length and depth. Starting in April 1990, the 10-city index streaked down for 10 consecutive months. But that total loss was just 6.5%.

Since the 10-city index peaked in July 2006, it has plunged 19.8%. The 20-city is down 18.4%.

The 20-city index's Sun Belt cities, which recorded the biggest price gains during the boom, have led the charge down. Las Vegas prices have plummeted 28.4% during the past 12 months; Miami prices fell 28.3%; and Phoenix homes lost 26.5% of their value.

Midwest metro areas, which have endured tough economic times for years, are also feeling the pain. Detroit prices are off 17.4% for the 12 months, and Cleveland is down 8%.

Northeast cities like Boston, down 6.2% for the 12 months, and New York, off 7.9%, have been less volatile than the Sun Belt.

The smallest year-over-year declines were recorded by Charlotte, N.C. (down 0.2%), Dallas (down 3.1%), and Denver (down 4.8%).

The soaring numbers of foreclosures are helping to push down prices. Banks tend to slash prices when selling repossessed homes, since they lose money every month a house sits vacant. They must pay property taxes, maintenance expenses and utility costs while getting nothing back in return.

Those sales, in turn, tend to bring down prices in the rest of a given neighborhood, creating a vicious cycle.

Foreclosures accounted for a large - and growing - share of all existing homes sold in some markets. In California, for example, 40% of the existing homes sold during the three months ended June 30 were foreclosures, according to DataQuick, a real estate information provider. That's up from just 5.4% during the same three months in 2007.

Optimistic observers might point out that price declines appear to be slowing. The 10-city index's 1% month to month dip in May was less than April's, when it registered a 1.5% decline, while the 20-city index fell just 0.9% in May after dropping 1.3% in April.

Wandersome Cruncher
    Woot, only another 40% drop and my family can afford one
    Visit The Boinc Bar Today

Boinc Boinc......The first 50 mil is the hardest!
    POEM U.K number one.....woot

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by vaio View Post
    Woot, only another 40% drop and my family can afford one
    Less than that if you pay in pounds sterling or euros. Bring your hard currency here!!! We will give you lots and lots of freshly printed dollars in exchange and love you long time.

Wandersome Cruncher
    U.S wouldn't have me.

But yes, good value over there......my brother lives there now and has a big house and a smaller second one.

He recently got married hence the 2 properties----they are having difficulty finding a buyer atm.
    Visit The Boinc Bar Today

Boinc Boinc......The first 50 mil is the hardest!
    POEM U.K number one.....woot

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm, looks like people are still flocking to San Francisco. Looks like the people have embraced SF values.
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck! View Post
    Hmm, looks like people are still flocking to San Francisco. Looks like the people have embraced SF values.
    No, it's because they have a measure on the next ballot to name a sewage treatment plant after W.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm surprised home prices went down in New York. That's got to be the first time anything went down in prices over here. As far as I can tell, houses in my area have been going up. On second thought, it is probably more reflective of rural NY than the city.

Xtreme Member
    "It may be a dry heat, but 115F is still friggin' hot" - Gilbert, AZ
    Good luck with this. Why would they reduce property taxes now if given a choice, cities are scrambling for money.
    Intel E6700 @3700
    Asus P5W64
    Kitty Litter Water Coolertm
    2 x 1gb G.skill 6400 HZ
    "Some people couldn't get a clue if they smeared their body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance while sounding the clue mating call in a field full of horny clues at the height of clue mating season."

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    Our whole neighborhood just got re-assessed My taxes went up about 15%. We did contest them & are waiting to see what happens. I live in an un-incorporated part of the county. Funny thing is, my house is one of the cheaper in the hood, so all my neighbors were using mine as a base for their's
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

Xtreme Legend
    In California where I live, voters approved Proposition 13 some 30 years ago. This is the so-called Jarvis-Gann initiative. It basically states that the property tax can not exceed one percent of the cash value of a property. Most California counties have lowered tax assessments because of declining home values. Of course this means less revenue for counties and cities and subsequent budget cuts.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Xtreme Addict
    time to buy !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NWEng View Post
    Good luck with this. Why would they reduce property taxes now if given a choice, cities are scrambling for money.
    You have a point and they can get around this but not easily or 'sneekily'.

Usually towns assess a larger percentage on only part or the appraised value or a smaller percentage of the true appraised value. Those values are based on recent home sales or 'comparables' as the real estate people call them. So when they reassess, and the prices go up, the percentage stays the same but appraised value goes up. However when the prices go down, the same thing is supposed to happen but they usually drag their feet until someone forces them to reassess.

They can get around it by either changing the amount of appraised value they tax you on or they increase the percentage of the tax - i.e., raise your taxes. That is usually political suicide so they don't like to do that, they rather have the market do the dirty work for them and just blame it on high prices.

It's not that difficult to contest your appraisal. You have to check what the procedure is in your area, but I don't think it involves going to court - at least not initially. I know people who have done it and I think it was just an administrative procedure.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    San Francisco has always been a desireable place to live but the property costs are crazy for years.
    When I think of San Fran I always think of Mark Twain's comment about it:
    " The coldest winter I ever lived was the summer I spent in San Francisco"
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Legend
    San Francisco is an outrageously expensive city to live in. The median home price is around $725,000. Most people who work there are commuters, though the surrounding suburbs aren't exactly cheap either. I think the median price in nearby Marin County is over $800,000. Until recently, prices in those two areas seemed immune to the nationwide housing slump.
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 07-29-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    San Francisco is an outrageously expensive city to live in. The median home price is around $725,000. Most people who work there are commuters, though the surrounding suburbs aren't exactly cheap either. I think the median price in nearby Marin County is over $800,000. Until recently, prices in those two areas seemed immune to the nationwide housing slump.
    Haha, that's nothing, the average cost of an apartment is $1.6 million in Manhattan. Overall, the average price in the five boroughs is still a mere $850,000.

I am Xtreme
    Haha, that's nothing, the average cost of an apartment is $1.6 million in Manhattan. Overall, the average price in the five boroughs is still a mere $850,000.
    How about the south bronx - whoo hoo - that fort apache isn't it? You could probably buy and entire building for the back taxes.

Xtreme Addict
    I wish housing prices would go down around here, not too fun paying 500k for a pos small house on the outskirts.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, it's strange to see the a booming economy out here in western Canada with the rest of the continent in a recession. Tons of people here travel across the border to buy cars, boats, building material, etc just because it's so much cheaper. 2 years ago half the houses in my little town of 4500 were for sale, people couldn't give them away and some were being abandoned and given to the city for back taxes. Now those same 70 year old 500 square foot houses are selling for $60k...lol! I bought 3 lots last year for $600, now it would cost me $60,000! The sad part is, 80% of it is speculation. People buying up everything in sight and flipping it or sitting on it. I mean, nothing has hapened here yet. All sorts of talk about oil, potash and diamonds but it'll be 10+ years before any of that kicks in.

I'm looking to upgrade to larger house, but I'll just wait a year or 2 until all the oil speculation is done and it's back to $80/barrel. All the "For Sale signs will be back up and things will return to "normal".
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by vaio View Post
    U.S wouldn't have me.

But yes, good value over there......my brother lives there now and has a big house and a smaller second one.

He recently got married hence the 2 properties----they are having difficulty finding a buyer atm.
    find a renter then. CAPITALIZE.