Thread: Suggest Wifi Booster (Router in Basement; PC Upstairs!!)

Xtreme Enthusiast

Suggest Wifi Booster (Router in Basement; PC Upstairs!!)

Ave,

I've got a major wifi signal problem going in the house. Thing is, My Wireless Router, Generously provided by Verizon FiOS, (Actiontec MI424-WR) is downstairs in my Office Area sitting next to my PC (Wired Connection). But we use our Laptop upstairs in our Bedroom and have a Kids PC in the Kids bedroom. They both have Wireless Adapters, but get the crummiest/sh*tiest signal ever!!

Downstairs in the basement you get AWESOME wifi signal - like I can actually walk downstairs with my laptop in my hands & watch the signal/download speed increase in front of my eyes. Anywhere downstairs you get full strength signal, just as you get on a wired connection. The problem is upstairs.

I don't want to replace my Router cause it's fine - but I saw on Amazon that you can buy something called a Wifi Booster that boosts the signal strength.

I've never played with a Booster and have no knowledge of it - so can someone recommend a Wifi Booster, a brand/model that I should go far, that will boost the signal such that I get a better signal upstairs in the house?

Thanks!!
    ~~ ++: Primary Rig :++ ~~

Alienware M17x-r2 [SPACE BLACK]
    Core i7-820QM | 17" 1200p RGBLED LCD | 8 GB DDR3-1333MHz | Dual 1GB Crossfire ATI 5870 | 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7200RPM HDDs) | Blu-ray Reader + DVD-DL Burner | Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Alienware Messenger Bag | Razer Orochi Bluetooth

Xtreme Member
    I have never hear about that boosters.
    I think is better to buy a very long LAN cable and put another router upstairs.
    ePOWER EP-2000P10-T3 REVIEW at www.newegg.com

Pros: Powering my computer along with my air conditioner and my refrigerator, and I used it to jump start my truck once.

Cons: The only problem was the FBI at my door saying something about knocking out power for the east coast...not sure what thats about.

I have a very similar issue with my home. Downstairs router and medium to poor upstairs reception. I have tried 2 different boosters, both times I have been unable to configure them properly even with calling tech support. You can certainly try to get a booster for yourself and give it a shot. Try to get the same brand as your router (ie Linksys).

I'm at the point where I want to move my router upstairs and run a LAN cable down to my desktop PC. LAN cables (even 50-100 feet) are very cheap online.

Good luck!

Xtreme Addict
    The trick is in antennas placement. Vertical antenna position is for stuff thats mostly in the same level as router. But if you want to cover devices below and above router level you should place them vertically, each away from another.

Like this:

There is also possibility to boost antenna power rating (for example on WRT54GL with Tomato firmware). Though i have antennas in vertical position and my sister still has excellent signal one floor above me like 20m away. It depends on many other factors anyway...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme News & Reviews
    You can also buy a Linksys, Buffalo, or ASUS router and flash it with a DD-WRT firmware, and if you don't mind buying two, you can create a WDS network with your wireless routers using the custom firmware. One router becomes the primary connection, and the other router grabs the signal and repeats it. This is a better signal then using a wifi booster.

You can try removing one of the ants. (if the router has two) and replacing it with a higher DBi replacement that is aiming upstairs.

A Wireless repeater from Linksys would also be a good choice, these usually just plug into a wall socket and repeat the signal.
    Desktop
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 (Quad Unlocked @ 3.4Ghz / 2200Mhz NB)
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P (F9 Bios)
    8GB (4x2GB) @ DDR2-800
    ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti DirectCUII (920/1840/2200)
    Corsair Force GT 120GB
    LSI MegaRAID 8408E (3x750 R5)
    Windows 7 x64 SP1

Cisco E2000 with DD-WRT kernel 2.6

Xtreme Cruncher
    A bigger antenna would be a pretty cheap and effective solution.
    Main Rig

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.8GHz (10x 280MHz) | ABit Kn9 NF4 | 4GB GSkill DDR2 - 800MHz | ATi Radeon HIS HD3870 | 530w Hiper Type M PSU

80GB Western Digital SATA300 Boot Drive | 500GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Seagate Barracuda UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 200GB Samsung Spinpoint UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 160GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive

Windows Server 2008 x64 | Dual Screen: 20" TFT @ 1920x1080 | 19" TFT @ 1440x900

Media Streaming Rig/Spare PC

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz | Generic Motherboard | 768mb Kingston DDR - 400MHz | ATi Radeon 9250SE | 350w AOpen PSU

20GB Western Digital IDE Drive

Windows XP Professional x86 w/SP3 | TV/Monitor @ 1920x1080

Entertainment Centre

40" Sony Bravia @ 1920x1080 | Sony Playstation 3 | Microsoft Xbox 360 (RED RING OF DEATH)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWall View Post
    A Wireless repeater from Linksys would also be a good choice, these usually just plug into a wall socket and repeat the signal
    I'm actually looking for an easy, straight forward solution - just something to boost the signal - not really looking to buy routers, flash them with firmwares and all other such shennagins. I'm sure they work great and all, but really, honestly, just looking for a better wireless signal on the 1st floor.

I saw this Linksys Wireless Repeater that plugs into the wall at Amazon.Com, I think that's what you're talking about - right now I'm seriously considering it. Just want to make sure it really works - well, if it doesn't - will just RMA it back.

Any other suggestions on a Wireless Repeater?

Thanks Guys!

Core i7-820QM | 17" 1200p RGBLED LCD | 8 GB DDR3-1333MHz | Dual 1GB Crossfire ATI 5870 | 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7200RPM HDDs) | Blu-ray Reader + DVD-DL Burner | Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Alienware Messenger Bag | Razer Orochi Bluetooth

Xtreme Addict
    I use the linksys repeater/extender, works great.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=7813839789B14
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Don’t you think that you should reconsider the location of your router?

You have a wired connection at the location of the wireless router, and are looking for wireless connectivity through the floor of a building. I would suggest moving the router upstairs, get a gigabit switch and run RJ-45 to your office downstairs.

For the same (or lesser) cost as a repeater, you could have a solution that gives the choice between gigabit wired and close at hand wireless, and very fast access (though Ethernet) to your files in your work computer.

Xtreme Member
    You could try a 600mw access point http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/...ls.aspx?id=241
    That should give you a signal ~1/2 mile away, so the upstairs bedrooms shouldnt be a problem.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    I use the linksys repeater/extender, works great.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=7813839789B14
    This one's actually around $78 and read some really positive reviews from people in the exact same situation as myself! Looking really good. Your personal experience definately gives it a boost. I think I'll go for it!!

@Xytrius: I had thought about that, but I have a wife who hates wires running around - trust me - with my wife, I like to keep things as Wireless as possible.

Thanks!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, I'm resurrecting this thread.
    Ordered & got that Linksys Wireless G-Range Extender. Didn't do jack for me - instead - turned down the Internet Speed! It was better without that unit plugged in. Hopped over to Newegg Customer Reviews and found that half the people had similar problems. So I RMA'd it back for a Full Refund.

Looking for another solution now.

I'm willing to look into both a better/effective Antenna - but someone please give me some recommendation/suggestions.
    Also, BrokenWall - I'm willing to look into the solution you're talking about. Can you give me some details about what I have to do?

Edit: I have the Actiontec MI-424WR Router - Can you recommend a higher DBi Antenna at Newegg that will help me and work with my Actiontec Router?

Thanks guys!!
    Last edited by LUCI5R; 08-22-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Being both the family tech, and a Geeksquad employee, I have a fair bit of experience in dealing with wireless systems. Unfortunately, there are a large amount of variables which can play into the quality of service of your wireless network. Some things you won't have control over, such as building materials of your house, external interference from other wireless networks in close proximity, and other wireless devices which operate on the same 2.4 Ghz frequency. Some things you will have control over, such as router placement, antennae positioning, and the wireless channel you are using.

While repeaters can work, in my experience getting them set up is the biggest obstacle. Once set up, however, they can be fairly effective, depending on how many networks there are around you. The best way to get the most from your repeater is to get it set up while plugged into the router via ethernet. Then, using a laptop with a program such as netstumbler, find the sweet spot in your house for it's placement. More often than not, you may need an extension cord and some creative placement to hide it. Regarding wireless channels, in the US (for what reason I forget) only three of the given eleven channels are actually separate. Channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap one another, but any channels in between will. Finding which of these three channels has the fewest other networks on it is your best chance at increasing signal strength and quality.

Generally speaking, the easiest and cheapest way of improving your speed and quality is by using a better/more powerful router and avoiding extra devices. You may even want to try using a powerful wireless N router. However, that will be a costly upgrade as you will need to replace the wireless cards in your computers to receive the full benefit. Also, if it turns out you do have many other wireless networks in your area, going with a dual-band wireless N router may be a good choice as well.

I hope I have been somewhat helpful to your situation. Unfortunately, the best way to give good wireless advice is by actually surveying the situation first-hand.
    Finally! New computer

Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512MB
    GSKILL 4GB DDR2 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
    Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor
    Western Digital 640GB Caviar
    Running Vista Ultimate x64