Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entry level DSLR

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Well I finally got D40 with AF-S 18-55 kit lens. $420 and I got lens protector and 2GB SD card as well
    So far I'm very pleased with picture quality compared to Canon SX100. Though I guess it's like comparing bmw and ferrari
    The only thing I can't quite understand is why manual focus cannot be adjusted for infinite distance. Auto focus just won't work in the dark. I never had this issue with compact.
    Can anyone enlight me on this please ?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Autofocus will work in the dark if you light the subject first to give it something to focus on. That is what the AF light is for on the camera, sometimes you will need a brighter light. A flashlight works well for that.
    That's one of the bad things about the 18-55 and 18-200 there is no scale.
    Oh, congrats on your purchase. I have the D40 and it is a great beginner DSLR.
    Last edited by [XC] 2long4u; 07-30-2008 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Iam trying to decide between a Nikon d80 and a canon rebel xsi and from what iam reading the d80 is the one to get.The d80 comes with a 18-135 lens or is it better to get a body and a 18-55 lens or something else.I had a Olympus that did me well till somebody lifted it of my desk yesterday so Iam in the market for a new camera and dslr is what Iam going for.It will mostly be used for fishing taking pictures from the bridge on my boat of the pit and people fighting fish like marlin.

So I would like to know what yall experts would recommend for a good dslr and lens.

thanks...lowbid
    Last edited by lowbid; 07-31-2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Xtreme Mentor
    I vote for the D80, but the XSI has some great features as well like liveview and 14-bit RAW's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Well I finally got D40 with AF-S 18-55 kit lens. $420 and I got lens protector and 2GB SD card as well
    So far I'm very pleased with picture quality compared to Canon SX100. Though I guess it's like comparing bmw and ferrari
    The only thing I can't quite understand is why manual focus cannot be adjusted for infinite distance. Auto focus just won't work in the dark. I never had this issue with compact.
    Can anyone enlight me on this please ?
    Autofocus relies on light, usually edge contrast to set focus distance. Without light the camera is blind. Try using a flashlight.

Alternatively, if you planned on getting a flash it has a much much better AF assist beam.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12