Thread: Cloudy water

Cloudy water

After about a month of putting my watercooled system together i started to notice that my water is starting to get cloudy, let me explain what i have done so far before noticing what was happening.

Before i put anything together;

1). I made sure my radiator was clean, so i mixed distilled water and vinegar and left it in the radiator for 30 min, and rinsed the radiator out about 3 times, and repeated the process again.

2). I did a test run to make sure everything was working fine, and everything was. I proceeded to let all the air bubbles out ( I have a reservoir.)

3). I put distilled water to make sure it was filled up nicely, i then proceeded to put in some of the PT Nuke i had got, to get rid of Algae, i put about 2-3 drops in the reservoir, and let it mix up.

4). I had some blue coloring, and i added a little bit because i know over time that coloring isn't good on the pump.

About a week ago i took my air compressor from my garage and dusted my whole computer since it was covered in dust. I then added a couple more drops of the PT Nuke.

What i am noticing is that when my computer is off, and the water is still, i don't notice the cloud in the water, when i turn the computer on, about 30 seconds in the cloud would start to appear in the water.

My thought is, maybe i added too much PT Nuke? Which i somewhat doubt.

Or maybe that, junk from the pump and radiator is still in the water.

Last of all, i do not leave my computer out in the sunlight, i leave the blinds closed about 90% of the time, so i don't believe it is algae.

Any tips or advice would be great, thanks.

P.S. I am at work, so when i get home i will upload a picture for all of you to get a better look at what is going on.

Xtreme Member
    Only shows up when the pump is on? Could it possibly be tiny air bubbles being circulated through the loop? How's the turbulence on your reservoir look?

There is not much turbulence at all in my reservoir since i have this http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekanad.html . The reservoir i have is this http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekmure.html . As of right now, the water doesn't seem cloudy that much, although I'm pretty sure once i leave my computer on a little longer it will show up. I don't believe it is tiny air bubbles because i don't notice any at all.

Xtreme Member
    It's probably air bubbles. I don't have experience with the ek res. or the plate to fix the problem, but that's what is sounds like. If you had some algae or something else in there it should be present all the time.
    Core i7 930 @ 3.8 1.24v
    Asus P6X58D Premium
    6 gb G.Skill Pi 1600
    Diamond 4870
    Corsair 750HX
    Intel X25-V SSD
    2 x WD 640gb black
    Lian li PC-70
    Asus MS238H LED Monitor
    H2O: Thermochill 120.3, MCP 655 pump, EK Supreme HF (nickel/acetal), San Ace fans

Xtreme Mentor
    Post a pic or its just guessing.

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Hey Guys!

Sorry it took so long for me to respond back, i have been really busy with work,going to the gym, and hanging out with friends, and playing WoW :O

I have noticed that every 10-20 seconds a bubble of air will circulate through the watercooling system.

After about 30 min or so, the water becomes cloudy, and there is a ton of tiny air bubbles just circulating through the water.

My first question is, how can i get rid of this?

My second question is, am i doing anything wrong?

I will upload some pictures later when i get a hold of my camera.

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    just wait few hours
    ~~~~~~~~water ed ~~~~~~~~~~
    Sry 4 my english
    http://galeriawc.pl

OK here is what is going on. Big air bubble goes into pump. Pump is spinning at over 3000 RPM so it chops big air bubble into millions of tiny air bubbles. Those tiny air bubbles make the water look kinda cloudy but then the water clears up after sitting for a little while. Ask me how I know

Mine stays clear for a long time but eventually it goes chop-chop and I have these little bubbles all over.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    doesnt that happen only when you still have air bubbles in your loop? since that souldnt happen if you dont have anymore air in the loop

Q9450 @3.60 Ghz, Striker II Formula, Evga 9800GTX (863/2050/1200), 2X2gb 1100 5,5,5,18 D9's at 2.20V
    Cooled by: MCR320, D-Tek Fuzion V2, MCP335 w/ EK G3/8 TOPS, Full BP high flow 1/2" fittings
    Oh and Vista Ultimate (i know, I KNOW!)

So, having tiny air bubbles is normal?

Quote Originally Posted by V3LCRO View Post
    they should bleed out eventually but my loop gets them back every so often
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by V3LCRO View Post

It's especially prevalant with the cylinder res's. I had the same problem.

The anti-vortex addon for the ek res (or an old credit card shoved into the res if you don't care about bling) will usually fix it.

What's happening is that you've got enough flow to keep sucking in those one or two big bubbles and shredding them into about a billion little bubbles. As the air trys to bleed back into the res, it just gets sucked into the pump again.

The anti-vortex fix will reduce that and *usually* eliminate it.

My ek res's used to actually fully vortex (ie mini-tornado in the water), but they run nice and pretty now with just a slight turbulence at the top of the water.

You can also try filling the res to the very, very brim. If there's no air in the loop at all, then it doesn't really matter how much vortex is happening. However, the only way to really get that done is while the pumps are running, and if you do it then you lose any "expansion/compression" room in the res/loop and will increase the pressure in the loop...if your tubes are loose, they could pop off.

I am Xtreme
    Just get a top with a threaded hole, mount a barb, a piece of tubing and a fillport in the top of your case.

Now you're able to fill the res all the way to the top (even a tad more), the pump can no longer suck air in.

Bleed with the fillport stop unscrewed untill all air is gone and you're settled.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Member
    it sounds like the air that was in your reservoir moved to your radiator or such during maintenance. If you don't like bubbles, tilt the case while the pump is running to free trapped air in the radiator(or blocks or pump). You should hear a distinct sound meaning you've removed the air bubble from the line. Putting a fillport in this situation would only be extra effort in a simple fix.
    Last edited by Rinaun; 08-08-2008 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaun View Post
    it sounds like the air that was in your reservoir moved to your radiator or such during maintenance. If you don't like bubbles, tilt the case while the pump is running to free trapped air in the radiator(or blocks or pump). You should hear a distinct sound meaning you've removed the air bubble from the line. Putting a fillport in this situation would only be extra effort in a simple fix.
    That what i was thinking at first, i started tilting the case around making sure that there was absolutely no air bubbles in the radiator, and as of right now there isn't any.

I finally figured out the problem though.

Since a typhoon was being created in the reservoir, and since the pump is pumping out so much water throughout the reservoir, an air bubble will start to go through the system little by little.

These little bubbles get broken by the pump and create smaller air bubbles. These air bubbles just keep circulating. I decided to add more water in the reservoir to make the bubble go as high as it could go.

Having this little bubble up top make it hard for the reservoir to create a typhoon and bring down air bubbles. In this case, adding more water just did the trick, thanks for the help guys.

P.S. Sorry it takes me a while to respond back.