Thread: Benefits of 1:1 Divider, over other Dividers?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Benefits of 1:1 Divider, over other Dividers?

Ave,

What are the known, real world benefits of running a 1:1 Ratio Divider? I find most people recommending running a 1:1 Divider but I can't quite find the true benefits of such a Divider over any other.

I'm running my Q9450 @ 475FSB (3.8GHz) with DRAM Frequency DDR2-950Mhz, making it a 1:1 Divider. But technically, I'm running my RAM at a Lower Frequency then it's rated stock Frequency (Let alone Overclocking it). MY OCZ 4GB DDR2-1000 (PC2-8000) is rated at 1000Mhz, but I'm running it at 950Mhz.

So what would be the disadvantage of running a Divider > 1:1 and running my RAM at it's stock or higher rated Frequency, say 1066Mhz, as long as it can handle it?

Just curious, to be quite honest.

Thanks.
    ~~ ++: Primary Rig :++ ~~

Alienware M17x-r2 [SPACE BLACK]
    Core i7-820QM | 17" 1200p RGBLED LCD | 8 GB DDR3-1333MHz | Dual 1GB Crossfire ATI 5870 | 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7200RPM HDDs) | Blu-ray Reader + DVD-DL Burner | Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Alienware Messenger Bag | Razer Orochi Bluetooth

I am Xtreme
    Dividers are board dependable... in your case the 1;1 divider on the P5Q series has got a bad reputation due to the high PL we have to endure... only way to get rid of these high PL's is to use a divider and get the ram higher... yet most users are running into a brick wall as most of them can't even get +1066mhz stable... combine that with requiring a high FSB for soem decent CPU speeds and it just gets harder... Other example... the 680i... Fastest there was between 400-425 on the Striker board... even on 1:1 with tight timings the board screamed... there it went downhill from +42BFSB as we entered another strap seriously increasing latency etc... If Intel could combine the good from the Nvidia chipset ( set ya ram speed manually regardless of FSB ) then most of would have less probs...

On your board you need good ram mate, I'm happy with my Gskills and Mushkin PC8000 kit that do 1081mhz easily on stock timings, yet others fight to pass 1066Mhz... currently testing the Mushkin PC6400 C5 kit at 1066Mhz 1.92 volt (bios) and 5-5-5-15... till now blend runs fab ( 3 hours already )

Each board ram combo is different and requires much testing... running apps, benchmarks and co... from those results draw a conclusion to what you prefer...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    It will make you feel better having everything running in sync. It doesnt mean better performance or stability though as this is proven all across the web.