Thread: AMD MAX temps!!!! How to know, what tool ?

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar

AMD MAX temps!!!! How to know, what tool ?

Hey Everybody.

Im testing out some things and I am looking for the maximum ambient temp this system can run at.

Im using the AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core 6400+ 125 Watt TDP cpu and I need to know how those 63 C° are read ?

Is there a special tool AMD uses, or is it just Everest ????

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...ail.aspx?id=33

Thx alot for your time folks
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Enthusiast
    speedtemp usually reads it right. Wich mobo?

Xtreme Cruncher
    check out this tech doc from amd, its a pdf. theres some stuff around pg 12 and more on pg 31. pg 31 only shows the 6000+ but its close enough, wish they showed OCing instead of underclocking.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/33954.pdf

i don't totally understand it but maybe someone else will
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Thx.

I hope this will give us some of the info we need
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Addict
    Nothing beats my finger: if it burns--it's too hot
    I usually get the same readings from different programs:
    Everest,hardware monitor,core temp
    The ones supplied
    by the mobo makers are usually off :smart guardian,asus
    pc probe so...........use the finger

EDIT*
    run the prime blend test, for a few minutes, just to heat things up a bit......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	denmark.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	82576  
    Last edited by SocketMan; 07-25-2008 at 11:30 PM.

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by LIKMARK View Post
    speedtemp usually reads it right. Wich mobo?
    Gimme a link, please I'd like to have an accurate program, but I can't find speedtemp at google

Xtreme Enthusiast
    LOL, my bad, I meant speedfan of course, but ut came out as a mutant speedfan/core temp = speedtemp. hehe

Im testing for max ambient temp so I need to know 100 % Certain

I hope they guys at work can explain the PDF to me
    If not AMD will have to tell us
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by LIKMARK View Post
    LOL, my bad, I meant speedfan of course, but ut came out as a mutant speedfan/core temp = speedtemp. hehe
    hey thanks man. was googling for this software, speedfan. forgotten its name because have not been using it for sometime! and i also thought it was speedtemp in the beginning =/

Xtreme Addict
    Readings stay consistent for AMD across programs most of the time. The problem occurs when you're trying to decide between Real Temp and Core Temp for Intel, as the 5C+/- offset is rather irritating.

For AMD I use Everest.
    1.7%

Xtreme X.I.P.
    The problem with the AMD sensors is that they're often very inaccurate My 3800+ can show idletemps at 13C, in 25C ambients

Xtreme Mentor
    I just went down on my ram form 1066mhz with the 1:2.66

was idling at 30C

took it down to 1:2 800mhz

my chip just cooled down by 5C....
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Quote Originally Posted by knopflerbruce View Post
    The problem with the AMD sensors is that they're often very inaccurate My 3800+ can show idletemps at 13C, in 25C ambients
    Nothing wrong with the sensors especially, just the programs that read them.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.