Thread: Breakthrough in TEC efficiency

Breakthrough in TEC efficiency

According to http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ficiently.html researchers at Ohio State, CalTech, and Osaka University have found a way to double the efficiency of Thermoelectric materials.

Anyone around here know how long it might take for this to trickle down to the pads we use?
    HARDWARE
    CPU: Intel i7-6700K - Delided and repaste w/Liquid Metal
    RAM: 4x4GB Kingston CL15 3000
    MB: Gigabyte Z170x-UD5-TH
    GPU: *Waiting for Vega*
    AUDIO: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
    HD:
    *waiting for NVME drive*
    1x512Gb Samsung 850 Pro
    2x150Gb Raptors RAID 0
    PSU:
    EVGA 850 P2
    Meanwell 320w-12(Running 13.4v for pumps)
    MNT:Acer 2423W & HP ZR24W

COOLING

CPU: Swiftech Apogee GTZ
    GPU: *SOME WATERBLOCK FOR VEGA*
    RAD: BlackIce III Extreme
    PMP: 2xLang D5 in series
    TUB: 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Tygon Silver Antimicrobial
    FANs:
    3xDelta EFB1212SHE TriBlade
    2xSharktoon SK-2000-80
    2xCM Excalibur
    1xDelta GFB1212VHW

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hope soon , with doubled efficiency tec will be a real competitor to phase change , 226w (cooling module) require (400w) heat , now with the doubled efficiency they can get as low as 300w , this pretty good .
    Edit the price has to be low also , i do not make sense to buy those module for > 50 $
    2600K working in 4.8 GHZ so far

2600k @(4600 Ghz) 1.42v : (under water)
    Asus B2 mobo
    4 GiG DDR 2400 MHZ
    GTX 570 @ 1.063v ( 910/1820/2001 Mhz) .(under water).
    1020 W PSU

Hobie's : Overclocking .... Overclocking .... Overclocking

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baenwort View Post
    According to http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ficiently.html researchers at Ohio State, CalTech, and Osaka University have found a way to double the efficiency of Thermoelectric materials.

Anyone around here know how long it might take for this to trickle down to the pads we use?
    That work is on lead telluride (PbTe) for power generation. For cooling, we use Bismuth Telluride (Bi2Te3). So unless someone tries to do some new doping of Bismuth Telluride TECs, this news doesn't have much application for cooling.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    That work is on lead telluride (PbTe) for power generation. For cooling, we use Bismuth Telluride (Bi2Te3). So unless someone tries to do some new doping of Bismuth Telluride TECs, this news doesn't have much application for cooling.
    is there any difference of thermoeletric cooling is being reversed to the seebeck effect (power generation)?
    or the other way round?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    is there any difference of thermoeletric cooling is being reversed to the seebeck effect (power generation)?
    or the other way round?
    Seebeck discovered that you can generate electricity from heat with dissimilar metals. Peltier discovered that you can create a temperature differential by applying power to dissimilar metals.

So TECs used for power generation are usually called Seebeck devices, and those used for cooling, Peltier devices. Both use the same principles, but lead compunds (lead selenide and lead telluride mostly) are better for power generation - they give more power at a lower temperature differential.

Bismuth Telluride devices (the usual Peltier devices) give much higher temperature differentials but use more power to do it.

You can use a lead based Seebeck device for cooling if you don't need much temp differential. It doesn't make much sense to use a bismuth based device for power generation unless you have a large temperature differential, but some people do it - for example focused solar arrays using ground for cooling.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Seebeck discovered that you can generate electricity from heat with dissimilar metals. Peltier discovered that you can create a temperature differential by applying power to dissimilar metals.

So TECs used for power generation are usually called Seebeck devices, and those used for cooling, Peltier devices. Both use the same principles, but lead compunds (lead selenide and lead telluride mostly) are better for power generation - they give more power at a lower temperature differential.

Bismuth Telluride devices (the usual Peltier devices) give much higher temperature differentials but use more power to do it.

You can use a lead based Seebeck device for cooling if you don't need much temp differential. It doesn't make much sense to use a bismuth based device for power generation unless you have a large temperature differential, but some people do it - for example focused solar arrays using ground for cooling.

As always it is a real pleasure to attend to your lectures, I really enjoy your knowledge
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Addict
    yes it is
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

Xtreme Member
    Man, and I was just starting to get my hopes up when I saw your post. Thanks for the info!!

Xtreme Member
    You can use a lead based Seebeck device for cooling if you don't need much temp differential.
    What kind of differential are we talking about (purely theoretically)? I'm only planning to use my peltiers with a 20c differential anyway (and might only need 15c with a more efficient peltier).

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Infidel View Post
    What kind of differential are we talking about (purely theoretically)? I'm only planning to use my peltiers with a 20c differential anyway (and might only need 15c with a more efficient peltier).
    Well you also need a 100C hot side minimum - I don't think you will have much luck

Xtreme Member
    Fair enough. Thanks anyway.

Xtreme Member
    Hmm well the day that peltiers get close to compressors in efficiency, thats the day you will see a revolution in how PCs get cooled. Highend motherboards will probably use them in stock cooling solutions for chipsets and such even. There is so much you could do with that kind of efficiency...

That said, I've heard this stuff many times before and I have yet to see anythign come of it. I cant remember the name of the company, but several years ago they claimed to have prototypes of a peltier-like device using a quantum tunneling effect that actually trumphed the carnot-efficiency of normal compressors by quite a lot. many years later its not like I've seen them available anywhere. if I could I'd gladly pay thogh the nose to get hold of a device like that.

I'm not saying its not gonna come some day eventually, but I won't be holding my breath. I'l instead be pleasantly surprised when someday in the future they are actually availiable for sale to regular consumers.

-Stigma

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigma View Post
    Hmm well the day that peltiers get close to compressors in efficiency, thats the day you will see a revolution in how PCs get cooled. Highend motherboards will probably use them in stock cooling solutions for chipsets and such even. There is so much you could do with that kind of efficiency...

That said, I've heard this stuff many times before and I have yet to see anythign come of it. I cant remember the name of the company, but several years ago they claimed to have prototypes of a peltier-like device using a quantum tunneling effect that actually trumphed the carnot-efficiency of normal compressors by quite a lot. many years later its not like I've seen them available anywhere. if I could I'd gladly pay thogh the nose to get hold of a device like that.

I'm not saying its not gonna come some day eventually, but I won't be holding my breath. I'l instead be pleasantly surprised when someday in the future they are actually availiable for sale to regular consumers.

-Stigma
    TECs are already as efficient as compressors when set up right - you can get better than 3.5 CoP at 12% of Imax. SEER = COP x 3.792 so that's equivalent to a 13 SEER unit. But you can't get the large deltas of phase change at that efficiency. Still, if you need a simple set up and 10C below ambient, you can get there with TECs.
    Last edited by Uncle Jimbo; 07-28-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict

-Stigma
    you should check out how chips are used in fighter jets
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PENT E8400 batch #814A014 ...4.3 at 1.34v~4.7 at 1.45v
    FOXCONN MARS
    COOLIT Eliminator 7*c idle~27~38*c load $95bucks !
    BUFFALO FireStix's ddr2-800 do 1200 eazy at 2.1v
    OCZ 2x2 kit pc2 8500 - 1066 @1069 atm
    Quattro 1000W
    Radeon 2-4850's in crossfire
    OCZ Vertex SSD thanks Tony!
    ALL PIPED INTO HOUSE AIRCOND ;}
    *QUANTUM FORCE* saaya & sham rocks !
    *REAL TEMP*
    At least you've got some Xtreme software now for working in Xtreme situations! "Unclewebb" rocks !
    *MEMSET* Felix rocks !
    *SUPER TEC MAN* UncleJimbo rocks !
    OVERCLOCKERS MAG..http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197660

-Stigma
    http://www.coolchips.gi/
    http://tempronics.com/pages/technology.html

Xtreme Member

-Stigma
    Well, if they were somehow available, I think we would be paying more than just through the nose! I did see something the other day in a link sent to me from my advisor that holds some promise. Might not be commercial anytime soon, maybe this is whats next for military use.

http://www.physorg.com/news125057974.html