Thread: In Search of a RAID Controller

In Search of a RAID Controller

I am currently in search of an 8 port SATA or SATA/SAS hardware RAID controller for use on a PCIe slot to replace my Areca ARC-1210. Reliablility and manufacturer support are my top priorities and speed comes after. My Areca card has performed very well, but I've heard horror stories about their tech. support line and am hesitant about purchasing from them again. Price isn't a big factor, but I'd like to keep the cost below $600. I plan to use this card in a file server with two arrays on the card: one level 10 and one level 1. Which cards would you guys recommend and what are your experiences with the many different RAID card manufacturers?

Xtreme Member
    Order your card, whichever it is, from http://www.pc-pitstop.com/

Their support is legendary. I have been having some problems with my areca 1680ix-12, and they have been absolutely AMAZING to deal with. My problem turned out to be hard drive compatibility issues. They still sent me out a replacement card, just to see if that was the problem. Amazing people to deal with there. BTW... the AAKS series hard drives from western digital do NOT WORK in raid 1,5,6, or any level with parity on the 1680 series cards.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    - Thomas Jefferson

^^ Yep they are the people to buy from very good support.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Order your card, whichever it is, from http://www.pc-pitstop.com/

Their support is legendary. I have been having some problems with my areca 1680ix-12, and they have been absolutely AMAZING to deal with. My problem turned out to be hard drive compatibility issues. They still sent me out a replacement card, just to see if that was the problem. Amazing people to deal with there. BTW... the AAKS series hard drives from western digital do NOT WORK in raid 1,5,6, or any level with parity on the 1680 series cards.
    Those AAKS failed for me in RAID 0 as well (as well as pass-through).

That was a HUGE mess. I had bought several for RAID 6 and nadda.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]