Thread: Water Chiller with TEC

Xtreme Member

Water Chiller with TEC

A while back I wanted some help with a TEC, and realized that it would become a quickly-out of control project. While checking the chiller forum, I saw a great idea of how to use a TEC to help in cooling the water.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=190369

Post # 18 with the large drawing shows what a4htec has in mind, and I'm thinking of using his idea.

I plan on using a MCR320 with a D5 pump and 2 Apogee GTs. The TEC will be a 226W.

Do you think that this will be enough to shave off around 10-20C off my Q6600 (at 3.6ghz 1.45V 39C Idle, 60C load)? Also, will I have to use a dedicated PSU, or would a 1000W Antec be enough?

Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    The drawing has some problems. Namely you would need to use multiple TECs to cool down the cold side loop, so then you would need to fabricate a TEC sandwich. SO a single 226W TEC plus the heat from your loop will be around 500watts (or more) that need cooling... Your hot side should use four 245w TECs which should be throttled using a pwm controller or something similar. Running FOUR TECs at 8 to 12vdc should give you good results with a setup like that. Your cold side TEC should be at 12vdc, or use two cold side TECs and drop your volts down to ~8vdc for better efficiency.

A couple dedicated meanwells would be needed for this setup. Normally I'd tell you that a large PSU could work with modification but not for something this big. Your looking at around 5 to 6 TECs for that drawing to work as intended. There are people who've posted their projects in this forum... Search up and see how they did it.
    Last edited by Vinas; 07-23-2008 at 10:17 AM.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team