Thread: Fraternity House Networking

Xtreme Member

Fraternity House Networking

I'm the IT guy for my fraternity house and I will be putting in the network in the new house we are getting built. It's going to be a multi level house (3 I believe) and will have between 50-60 guys in it. Obviously college guys will be doing a lot of surfing of :banana::banana::banana::banana:, streaming video, and gaming. My question is, what hardware solutions are availible to filter and shape traffic for all of those users? We are stuck right now with 3 or 4 cable internet lines that I have setup to be load balanced, but we still hit a snaffu occasionally when all of the guys are on you:banana::banana::banana::banana: or another site. I would like to make it so that a QoS rule could kick in during the day so that people could get homework done, and not have to fight for bandwidth with the guys who are skipping class and gaming or watching :banana::banana::banana::banana:. I know our router has built in QoS but I was looking for something a little more robuts. Our switches will be linked together in the new house via fiber and are all managed layer 2 switches. I purchased a cisco layer 3 switch off of eBay for our backbone routing and management.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy25fb View Post
    I'm the IT guy for my fraternity house and I will be putting in the network in the new house we are getting built. It's going to be a multi level house (3 I believe) and will have between 50-60 guys in it. Obviously college guys will be doing a lot of surfing of :banana::banana::banana::banana:, streaming video, and gaming. My question is, what hardware solutions are availible to filter and shape traffic for all of those users? We are stuck right now with 3 or 4 cable internet lines that I have setup to be load balanced, but we still hit a snaffu occasionally when all of the guys are on you:banana::banana::banana::banana: or another site. I would like to make it so that a QoS rule could kick in during the day so that people could get homework done, and not have to fight for bandwidth with the guys who are skipping class and gaming or watching :banana::banana::banana::banana:. I know our router has built in QoS but I was looking for something a little more robuts. Our switches will be linked together in the new house via fiber and are all managed layer 2 switches. I purchased a cisco layer 3 switch off of eBay for our backbone routing and management.
    PM WesM63.. Good Cisco guy..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.