Thread: Suggestions for Northbridge & Southbridge Cooler

Suggestions for Northbridge & Southbridge Cooler

Hi. This is one of my first posts but I hope you guys can help by giving me some advice.

I have the EVGA nforce 680i sli motherboard pictured here:

As you may be aware the southbridge on this motherboard runs rather hot without the fan installed on the northbridge. I get temps in excess of 60C reported in Everest. The northbridge is also very hot to touch. The problem is that the fan is really noisy when it is installed and the rest of my system is pretty much silent.

So I was wondering if you could advise on a replacement cooler for the northbridge and southbridge (which are joined by a heatpipe which also gets very hot). Unfortunately I've not much space left in the case as my 8800 GTX covers the southbridge and the Thermaltake BigTyp 120 (http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C...l-p0114-01.asp) overhangs the northbridge a bit.

I know EVGA do a fan accessory for the southbridge (http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...pecs&family=99) I can imagine that it will be noisy running at 4800rpm (even though they claim less than 20dB) and I can't imagine it would do much for the temperatures considering how little heatsink is actually there to remove the heat from the chip.

Anyway have you any ideas?

Cheers,
    Jason

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    For the southbridge you will be kinda forced to hit a ThermalRight HR-05 SLI ( if you're using long graphics cards ).
    For the NorthBridge you can use the ThermalRight HR-05 or the Swiftech MCX159-Cu ( if you can find one )
    Even with those on, the NorthBridge should be hot in the summer, so a 80mm/120mm silent fan above the NB would be your best choice ( unless you're willing to go watercooling, but watercooling the NB & SB for regular/24/7 use isn't really worth it, unless you want a deadly silent system )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thermarlight for the NB, ENZOTECH for the SB

I was definitly not impressed with how the thermalright mounted on the MoBo. I would suggest, if you don't have clearance issues with the CPU heatsink, to go with something with a better mounting mechanism.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-J
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4.00Ghz 1.3375(v) F9 BIOS
    2 X 2 GB DDR2 1100 @ 1000 G.Skill PC2-8800
    2 X 500gb GB SATA 2 HD RAID 0
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

My 3DMark Vantage Score 16,444

Pics of my computer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here is the review and thread when I installed the NB and SB cooler.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=185535

-J
    Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4.00Ghz 1.3375(v) F9 BIOS
    2 X 2 GB DDR2 1100 @ 1000 G.Skill PC2-8800
    2 X 500gb GB SATA 2 HD RAID 0
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    EVGA GTX285 SSC
    EVGA 8800GTS G92 PhysX

My 3DMark Vantage Score 16,444

Pics of my computer

Xtreme Addict
    I agree on the TR HR-05 suggestion, it's a heck of a NB heatsink.